PFTS Slam Rule Changes

RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

I have to agree with the rule change as well. It's MUCH more challenging to go out and search for the three species rather than sit on a hole (fish in a bucket) all day.
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Jeff said the only scented baits allowed are Exude because Todd can't catch fish without them. :wink:
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

CooKnFish wrote:Jeff said the only scented baits allowed are Exude because Todd can't catch fish without them. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
snooker56

Post by snooker56 »

BruceF wrote:I see no mention of scent attractants such as Pro-Cure or Carolina Lunker sauce. I guess they are allowed?
Todd wrote: (Paraphrased): If you are dependent on scents this may not be the tournament for your liking.
I can understand the Gulp thing; might as well use dead shrimp. But aren't DOA plastics stuffed with shrimp or fish and Exudes scented? What's the difference between them and putting Lunker Sauce on a hard bait? How is that any more dependent on scents?
"Bugman" Tom

Heritage Redfish 14
Chevy Silverado
Rik

Post by Rik »

Here's the deal.

We want people to fish the lure, not let it sit. You can dead stick a Gulp.

The other scented lures (Exude, DOA, etc) can't be dead sticked and catch fish. I've tried.

I've never used any of the Lunker Sauce type stuff so I really don't know if it would allow a bait to be dead sticked. If so, in keeping with the spirit of the event, we rather you not use it.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Skill...not chemistry (or dead bait)(or a dead bait imitation).
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
BruceF

Post by BruceF »

Todd wrote:If you are dependent on scents and dead sticking bait this may not be the tournament for your liking.
I don't see where I said I was dead sticking or using scent attracants. I just didn't see it anywhere in the rules and was asking for a clarification. :? I havn't fished a slam tournament in awhile and thought it would be a fun one to enter. A member on here in high standings asked me to join in and fish some of your tournaments. I thought they would be fun, but with your response I'm having second thoughts.
BruceF

Post by BruceF »

BruceF wrote: I use their freshwater sand worm with pretty good success on Reds and Snook.
These arn't deadsticked, they are fished like a regular jerk bait. Same as a Exude,DOA etc.
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

BruceF wrote:
Todd wrote:If you are dependent on scents and dead sticking bait this may not be the tournament for your liking.
I don't see where I said I was dead sticking or using scent attracants. I just didn't see it anywhere in the rules and was asking for a clarification. :? I havn't fished a slam tournament in awhile and thought it would be a fun one to enter. A member on here in high standings asked me to join in and fish some of your tournaments. I thought they would be fun, but with your response I'm having second thoughts.
I see Todd posted that at 9:58 PM. He was probably just tired from a long day of short jokes. :D

Come on out and fish, it'll be a good time.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

BruceF wrote: A member on here in high standings asked me to join in and fish some of your tournaments. I thought they would be fun, but with your response I'm having second thoughts.
I didn't know we had anyone in high standing around here. :lol:

Bruce, I apologize for the flippant response but the GULP debate has been going on for a long time. As stated above by Rik we do not allow gulp products for the simple fact we want to remain an artificial lures only tournament. I know there is debate among many as to GULP being an artificial vs many other lures such as DOA, Exude, etc that do contain some amount of "fish" product being a GULP type bait as well. We, the organizors of the PFTS, made the decision long ago to not allow GULP products as I know from personal experience that GULP can be deadsticked and still catch fish. We did not want to go in that direction with the PFTS. Along the same lines we do not want to allow the use of scents/sprays/oils/etc for the same reasons.

I know, for some, it is a big issue from some of the e-mails that we have received on the subject. They have varied from "great idea" to "I will never fish your tournament due to not allowing GULP". Either way that is the rule for now and I sincerely hope that not allowing GULP bait will not deter you, or anyone else, from enjoying the PFTS and the good times we have fishing them. In the end the PFTS is about a group of very talented paddle fisherman getting out and testing their skills in a low cost, level playing field fun tournament that is very different from other tournaments that are out there.

Come out and give it a shot, I know you will enjoy them. Hope to see you on the 31st.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
HellOnReels

Post by HellOnReels »

RockinNReelin wrote:I have to agree with the rule change as well. It's MUCH more challenging to go out and search for the three species rather than sit on a hole (fish in a bucket) all day.
Yeah,well if I ever get the opportunity to sit in a hole catching a "bucket" full of 30+" reds, F%$k the tournament. A day like that is worth way more than the dam $10 entry fee. I'm going to catch as many of them fat bastages as I can get to the boat! The rule change is fine, but only insures that the inch total record will never be broken. A 100 inch slam would take a miracle. 8)
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Who cares about records?

Come out Bruce, I think you'll find it a lot of fun. I for one would welcome you, I would be a little worried :lol: But welcome you non the less.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

HellOnReels wrote:Yeah,well if I ever get the opportunity to sit in a hole catching a "bucket" full of 30+" reds, F%$k the tournament. A day like that is worth way more than the dam $10 entry fee. I'm going to catch as many of them fat bastages as I can get to the boat! The rule change is fine, but only insures that the inch total record will never be broken. A 100 inch slam would take a miracle. 8)
While I also like the rule change I have to agree. I would not leave the hole either ;)
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Vlap wrote:
HellOnReels wrote:Yeah,well if I ever get the opportunity to sit in a hole catching a "bucket" full of 30+" reds, F%$k the tournament. A day like that is worth way more than the dam $10 entry fee. I'm going to catch as many of them fat bastages as I can get to the boat! The rule change is fine, but only insures that the inch total record will never be broken. A 100 inch slam would take a miracle. 8)
While I also like the rule change I have to agree. I would not leave the hole either ;)
There are many of us that hope you guys find that hole on Saturday.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Thank you!
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

HellOnReels wrote:
RockinNReelin wrote:I have to agree with the rule change as well. It's MUCH more challenging to go out and search for the three species rather than sit on a hole (fish in a bucket) all day.
Yeah,well if I ever get the opportunity to sit in a hole catching a "bucket" full of 30+" reds, F%$k the tournament. A day like that is worth way more than the dam $10 entry fee. I'm going to catch as many of them fat bastages as I can get to the boat! The rule change is fine, but only insures that the inch total record will never be broken. A 100 inch slam would take a miracle. 8)
And a TON of SKILL!!! :D
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.