measuring board..edit

finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

If you're taking a measuring board in a hot tub with hot chicks make sure you don't bring the 'SHORTY.'
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
TexasDan

Post by TexasDan »

I bought this new measure board and used it for the first time Saturday. It worked pretty well. Well built and very photogenic. I like that it is all one piece. I have the 40"x1/4" material. I bought the 321 sticker and sticks to it very well. It does stay a float long enough to grab it. This is a good measure board and recommended it for anyone.

Info. I found on it.
Acrylic Plastic
Unaffected by sun or salt spray
http://www.sdplastics.com/acrylic.html

Last edited by TexasDan on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=30343&st

Post by Norm »

Looks like a good one. AND...there are no screws to rust :!:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
GO-Fish

Post by GO-Fish »

ChrisR wrote:Im fairly certain I wasn't negative. Pretty sure I told him it looked good. Just stating a fact. I have worked with sign faces that expanded in the Florida heat. They were a little bit larger, but like I said, I don't know how much a piece this size would expand/contract. They were made from 1/4" acrylic. I still think its a nice board. By far the nicest looking one I have ever seen.
-- SCIENCE ALERT --

The expansion and contraction has little to do with the thickness of the material but rather the length or width. The distance something expands or contracts is a function of the coefficient of thermal expansion, the length and the temperature differential.

The general expansion formula can be expressed as:

dl = α Lo dt (1)

where

dl = expansion (m, inch)

Lo = length of pipe (m, inch)

dt = temperature difference (oC, oF)

α = linear expansion coefficient (m/moK, inch/inchoF)

Now the big variable is the Linear expansion coefficent and plastics have a wide range of this. For example extruded Acrylic has one of the largest linear expansion coefficient at 130x10-6 in/in oF or 0.000130 in/in oF so for a 40in long piece of excruded acrylic that is exposed to a 25 deg temperature differential (70f to 95f)

dl = 0.000130 x 40in x 25F = 0.13" or close to 1/8"

Where as a aluminum α = 12.3x10-6 in/inoF

dl = 0.0000123 x 40 x 25 = 0.0123 in

So that Red that measured 27" in the morning will measure 26 7/8" at mid day. Or conversly the red that measure 27" on the money on your board at the end of the day may measure 27 1/8" on the FWC board. :shock:

As I mentioned, plastics have a wide range of linear expansion coefficient, for example Sheet or cast Acrylic has a linear expansion coefficient or 45x10-6 in/ino, nearly 1/3 that of extruded Acrylic. So you need to find out what the material is to know what the difference is.

No, I don't know what the thermal expansion coefficent of a fish is, but it does have one.

Back to your normal programing.
265 (9/27 - 235) ----> 230 - 220?
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

So my kayak is not really 14 feet long? :lol:
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

GO-Fish wrote:-- SCIENCE ALERT --

The expansion and contraction has little to do with the thickness of the material but rather the length or width. The distance something expands or contracts is a function of the coefficient of thermal expansion, the length and the temperature differential.

The general expansion formula can be expressed as:

dl = α Lo dt (1)

where

dl = expansion (m, inch)

Lo = length of pipe (m, inch)

dt = temperature difference (oC, oF)

α = linear expansion coefficient (m/moK, inch/inchoF)

Now the big variable is the Linear expansion coefficent and plastics have a wide range of this. For example extruded Acrylic has one of the largest linear expansion coefficient at 130x10-6 in/in oF or 0.000130 in/in oF so for a 40in long piece of excruded acrylic that is exposed to a 25 deg temperature differential (70f to 95f)

dl = 0.000130 x 40in x 25F = 0.13" or close to 1/8"

Where as a aluminum α = 12.3x10-6 in/inoF

dl = 0.0000123 x 40 x 25 = 0.0123 in

So that Red that measured 27" in the morning will measure 26 7/8" at mid day. Or conversely the red that measure 27" on the money on your board at the end of the day may measure 27 1/8" on the FWC board. :shock:

As I mentioned, plastics have a wide range of linear expansion coefficient, for example Sheet or cast Acrylic has a linear expansion coefficient or 45x10-6 in/ino, nearly 1/3 that of extruded Acrylic. So you need to find out what the material is to know what the difference is.

No, I don't know what the thermal expansion coefficient of a fish is, but it does have one.

Back to your normal programing.
I bet you got beat up a lot in school. :lol: .
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
GO-Fish

Post by GO-Fish »

teamshaft3 wrote:I bet you got beat up a lot in school. :lol: .
Nah, just had to deal with a similar issue for work plus Google is great if you know the right question to ask.
265 (9/27 - 235) ----> 230 - 220?