Hobie Outback vs. Hobie Revolution

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
cwalicek

Hobie Outback vs. Hobie Revolution

Post by cwalicek »

I am going to move from an Ultimate 14.5 to either the Outback or the Revolution. Does anyone that bought the Outback wish they had the Revolution or vise versa? I have tried both and I have tried the Ultimate Pedal.

Fishing will be the primary use (90% +).
6' 230lb

Thanks for the insight.

Craig
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

The Revolution sure looks nice.
Last edited by Redfisher on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Hamrhdz

Post by Hamrhdz »

I am very happy with my Revo.
I stand comfortly in mine, but I have good balance.
The Revo is swifter and more manuverable than the SUV.
The SUV is more stable.

Try before you buy.
snafustu

outback vs revo

Post by snafustu »

this may help....
hope it`s ok to post....

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 1401080414
TerryW

Re: Hobie Outback vs. Hobie Revolution

Post by TerryW »

cwalicek wrote:I am going to move from an Ultimate 14.5 to either the Outback or the Revolution. Does anyone that bought the Outback wish they had the Revolution or vise versa? I have tried both and I have tried the Ultimate Pedal.

Fishing will be the primary use (90% +).
6' 230lb

Thanks for the insight.

Craig
Craig -- my first kayak was the Outback. When Hobie came out with the Revo, I bought that and liked it much better than the OB. One disclaimer --- the newer Outback hulls are different/better than the first model that I had. Earlier this year I moved up to the Adventure and prefer that longer pedaling kayak over the other two models. (Pedals and paddles faster and in skinnier water.)

The new Hobie models and upgrades to their current models will be announced this weekend via the annual Outdoor Show, so it's worth waiting to see what they'll have. If there is something in the 16' range, then I may be selling my Adventure. If the Revo hull is changing, then I may have that new hull for sale in a few months.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
FlaPaddleFish

Post by FlaPaddleFish »

I've had the Outback S.U.V. for about 4 months now and I'm satisfied with it. The Revo is faster and longer but, I'm told that the initial stability is not as stable as the S.U.V. Also, I've been told that the Revo tracks better.
Hobie Outback S.U.V.
Pip

Post by Pip »

I LOVE my Outback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfect fit for me and my garage...
Jackson Kayak Fishing Team
Orion Coolers
Bending Branches
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

I had the '06 Outback SUV and loved it. It had many features that I miss on my Revolution. Still, I sold it and bought the Revolution. I am still learning its quirks and features. It is much faster, quieter, and sits comfortably. If I had it do over, I would have bought the Revolution sooner..
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
FlaPaddleFish

Post by FlaPaddleFish »

Fishaddict wrote:I had the '06 Outback SUV and loved it. It had many features that I miss on my Revolution. Still, I sold it and bought the Revolution. I am still learning its quirks and features. It is much faster, quieter, and sits comfortably. If I had it do over, I would have bought the Revolution sooner..
Does it have the same ammenities as the Outback? Rod holders, storage and so on.
Hobie Outback S.U.V.
gregfl

Post by gregfl »

FlaPaddleFish wrote:
Fishaddict wrote:I had the '06 Outback SUV and loved it. It had many features that I miss on my Revolution. Still, I sold it and bought the Revolution. I am still learning its quirks and features. It is much faster, quieter, and sits comfortably. If I had it do over, I would have bought the Revolution sooner..
Does it have the same ammenities as the Outback? Rod holders, storage and so on.
I own both, and the answer is no. The revolution is the superior Kayak, but like all boats there are trade-offs. In this instance, the Revolution gives up utility and stability for speed and a real paddling hull that is also much quieter. For fishing a quiet hull is very important, and for Kayak fishing in florida the ability to paddle effectively thru the shallow water is critical. If you are fishin in the flats around oysters you will have your mirage out at least 50 percent of the time, so the revolution wins hands down. The outback is a great boat but for fishing the flats you will want to grab the revolution when given a choice.

However, if I was fresh water fishing in a lake, the Outback would win. It is really cool to have all those places to put things, the wide hull, and the superior turning radius.
jayone91

Post by jayone91 »

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to add to it in lieu of creating a new one.

I had the pleasure of renting both the outback and revo this weekend from Tackle Shack. Me and the wife headed out saturday despite the strong winds, and since I am kind of a big guy 5'9 250 I figured i would take the outback first while she tried the revo.

My impressions of the outback were that it was an ok boat. I used both the turbo fins and the standard since we had both. I have no idea why anyone would want anything other than turbo fins. My wife liked the revo but was very frustrated with the high winds and the learning curve on a pedal boat with a rudder. She also hated the standard fins after trying the turbo's in the revo.

On Sunday we took both boats out again only this time I took the Revo and she the outback. Sunday was a beautiful day and we had a great time. I can't say enough about how much better the revo was over the outback. It is a far superior kayak. It paddled well and with the turbo fins was a real speedster.

I plan on returning the rentals on Monday and buying a Hobie Revolution. As soon as our income tax return arrives I plan on buying a second Revo for the wife.

We have rented/demoed Ocean, Heritage, Wilderness, Native, and the Hobie Revo wins hands down.

But hey, that's just me and what do I know!
yakrat

outback vs revo

Post by yakrat »

After 3 weeks of agonizing over which one to purchase, I set out early one saturday morning with my mind made up to get the outback. When I arrivied at the dealer, the owner who had been working with me for the past 3 weeks was busy with another customer, so I had time to ponder my decision. Upon talking with a few others that had either the outback or the revo, I was rethinking my decision. They both have very strong points in their favor. To make a long story short, I ended up buying the revo. When I got it home & started trying to figure out where & how to mount rod holders, fishfinders, etc, it left me thinking I should have brought the outback instead. I guess the only solution we be to buy both if I could afford it, but since that is highly unlikely, I will always be questioning my decision.
tampamike

Post by tampamike »

Thanks for your insight about the two Hobies. I am about to do the same for Xmas and my Birthday (best way to get what you want). :) Decided on the Outback as having the storage and comfort I think will make it worth it.

New to kayak fishing, so everyones input has made the decission easier.
All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure.
gregfl

Re: outback vs revo

Post by gregfl »

yakrat wrote:After 3 weeks of agonizing over which one to purchase, I set out early one saturday morning with my mind made up to get the outback. When I arrivied at the dealer, the owner who had been working with me for the past 3 weeks was busy with another customer, so I had time to ponder my decision. Upon talking with a few others that had either the outback or the revo, I was rethinking my decision. They both have very strong points in their favor. To make a long story short, I ended up buying the revo. When I got it home & started trying to figure out where & how to mount rod holders, fishfinders, etc, it left me thinking I should have brought the outback instead. I guess the only solution we be to buy both if I could afford it, but since that is highly unlikely, I will always be questioning my decision.
I have owned both now for quite a while. Again, if you fish deeper water over shorter distances, the outback may be a better choice. BUT, if you are talking about a real kayak, one that is quiet, paddles long distances well, fishes well, the Revo is the no choice winner.

But it like this. I fish the flats around oysters, shallows, mud shallows. I venture into the gulf and up tidal creeks. I have both kayaks sitting there in front of me on the trailer. Only very rarely do I even consider grabbing the Outback.

However, If I was going to go fish a lake or a pond I would grab the outback as my first choice.

No boat is the best choice in all circumstances. The Revo is simply a better Kayak for most of the time and especially for stalking fish on salt flats.

As far as mounting a fishfinder, The best solution for either boat is to mount a finder on a pole that fits down into the sail mast. Then it is removable, out of the way, etc.

I will upload a pic of my revo so you can see solutions to mounting problems when I get a few minutes.
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Hobie Outback v. Revo

Post by Fishaddict »

Now that I have had both (previously noted) and learned the quirks of each, The Hobie Revolution wins HANDS DOWN. It has the speed, with turbo fins, and paddles well. I have been in real skinny water with it and with the fins up (you gotta learn not to push on the peddles) there is no need to remove the drive. Being I am not as stable on my feet as when I was younger, I don't try to stand in it.. I am 6'5" and 220lbs. and approaching my 70th birthday. I get the exercise with the peddles and my stamina is maintained even on long trips. The best advice has already been given by others.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.. Pick the one that suits you. Good Luck and see you on the water
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
gregfl

Re: Hobie Outback v. Revo

Post by gregfl »

Fishaddict wrote:Now that I have had both (previously noted) and learned the quirks of each, The Hobie Revolution wins HANDS DOWN. It has the speed, with turbo fins, and paddles well. I have been in real skinny water with it and with the fins up (you gotta learn not to push on the peddles) there is no need to remove the drive. Being I am not as stable on my feet as when I was younger, I don't try to stand in it.. I am 6'5" and 220lbs. and approaching my 70th birthday. I get the exercise with the peddles and my stamina is maintained even on long trips. The best advice has already been given by others.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.. Pick the one that suits you. Good Luck and see you on the water
Agreed except the part about removing the outdrive. Where I fish the oysters BITE the bottom, and even with the peddles up they will get chewed. Also, have you hit a rock yet at full peddle? I have broke my peddles (usually bending the shaft and ripping a peddle) so many times I can't count. So many times in fact that I carry spare blades and shafts with me. Therefore at low tide around the dangerous Hernando/Pasco shallows, my peddle assembly is usually out all the way unless I am sure the water is continuously deep enough not to damage the peddles. You can also crack the hull by running the peddles aground and cause your boat to leak. Thankfully that hasn't happened to me but the hobie dealer has told me stories.

I guess it all depends on where you fish. Some of the pinellas/Hillsborough shallows are pretty sandy and I really wouldnt' worry so much there. pasco, Hernando and Citrus? Caution.