What's not to like about the Ultimate 14.5 ?

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

What's not to like about the Ultimate 14.5 ?

Post by DaveR »

Need to know aside from being in slop that can come over the bow, any cons from you Native Ultimate 14.5 owners?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

For me I find mine hard to get in and out of. The deeper the water the more difficult it becomes. I also had a tendancy to wrap my knuckles on the sides of the boat so paddling was awkward. Raising the seat with foam blocks solves this problen and totally transforms the boat. Paddle storage is a pain unless you get the front skirt or use a leash. The tandem is not really a tandem unless one of you is about the size of a 5 year old.

Mine tracks and paddles amazingly well and the wind is not as bad as you would think. With me at 240lbs mine sits low in the water..about as high as my Pheonix. Anyone could stand in one. In fact in the right area you could leave the seat at home. Roof top carry will result in you getting wet but it's nothing a hole saw won't fix. There is an Ultimate Owners forum for more info and common mods. Just google lakeline water sports.

It is an excellent shallow water fishing platform.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
VFTG

Post by VFTG »

I'll go along with the difficulty in a deep water re-entry, the only other problem I had was my folding cart wouldn't work with the Ultimate. I had to get a smart cart that's designed for the hull. Other than those small problems, it's a very comfortable boat and you can carry a ton of stuff. Also I carry a hand pump and a sponge to keep the water out.
Victor

Why make a trillion when we could make... billions?
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Anyone could stand in one.
not everyone
0 0 1
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

A lot of plusses, but not perfect. You know about the slop over the bow, but this can be remedied by a bow skirt. To me the downside is not being able to get in and out easily and not being able to sit side saddle and control drift with my foot in shallow water.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
noles

Post by noles »

shamus wrote:
not everyone
true that!!
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
Evan

Post by Evan »

I use mine at least 3x per week and don't have any significant complaints. Let me put it this way - if you buy one, I can all but guarantee you won't be disappointed.

With that in mind, there are a few minor things that could be improved upon. Plastic rivets hold the arm pads in place, mine broke so I removed the pads. If you put a beer bottle in the cupholder, it interferes with your paddle stroke. The carry handles are crap and break really easily. Seems to always be a thin film of water in the recesses of the hull, which soaks into the bottom of your pants legs when your feet are on the pegs. The giant, foot-shaped pegs snag flyline like they were designed for the task. In tandem setup, the person in the bow had better be under 6 feet tall and less than 180lbs.

Tracks great, rides great, paddles great, fishes great, IS great.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Evan wrote: If you put a beer bottle in the cupholder, it interferes with your paddle stroke.
That is reason enough to never own one. :lol: :lol:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Luckily, that won't be an issue for me any longer. 6 months ago it would have been a deal killer. :lol:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Or you can just bring beer in cans - not as tall, don't get in the way as much.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

From all I've read a seat riser is a very handy add on. Yes?

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Evan

Post by Evan »

IMHO, totally un-necessary. The standard seat is arguably the very best feature of the Native - why mess with a great thing? Raising the seat is going to make the boat less stable. Hard to imagine what the benefit of a riser would be (???)
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

The pros seem to be more comfort attributed to your ass being a bit higher than your ankles and paddle stroke is a bit more natural. Stabilty suffers very little apparently.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Evan

Post by Evan »

More comfort is honestly hard to imagine, but I can see the point about allowing a more natural paddle stroke. My hands do sometimes scrape the sides as I paddle (which is another reason to remove those stupid armrest pads). A slightly higher seat might also solve the pesky problem of drinks in the cupholder getting in the way of the paddle...
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

I just put some of those foam strap on roof racks in the tunnels on both sides under the seat pan. This lifts the seat about 3"..if you need more then put them in the middle of the seat pan. I imagine a pool noodle would work also.

I took the foot braces out of mine.

When I said "anyone" I meant it is very easy to stand in.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
jd

Post by jd »

shamus wrote:
not everyone
Bill,
Are you having trouble balancing once you are up or getting up? If you have trouble getting up, try attaching a line to the bow handle with a piece of PVC as a handle and you will be able to pull yourself up pretty easily.
I have trouble acting normal.