How do you keep warm kayaking during these cool months?

Kayakpirate

How do you keep warm kayaking during these cool months?

Post by Kayakpirate »

What are people wearing to stay warm while kayaing?

Trying to stay warm and possibly wearing the wrong clothes, I hate that sinking feeling if ever unexpectedly ending up in the water.
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

Lots of whiskey
trash.can.slam

Post by trash.can.slam »

Xyloxo wrote:Lots of whiskey
X2.

Haven't done really cold weather yet, only brisk. Got some waterproof pants the other day that should be helpful.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Staying dry is a good start. A pair of waders will keep you dry from the waist down.
Keeping the wind off of you is second. I often wear a rain jacket to block the wind.
The right clothing for outdoors depends on the individual. Anything below 70 is cold to me so I have done lots of research and tried different things. I really like the polartech long johns. The material wicks away moisture (refer back to first statement) and is a great base layer. Everything else is just layering depending on how cold it is.
Last is a good warm hat. Most body heat is lost through the top of your head. Bottle it up!

Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Breathable waders(Chest), Layered shirts and a windbreaker.......HOT COFFEE with a little Bourbon :wink: :wink:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Chris.G

Post by Chris.G »

LOL . Mark you look like you are going ice fishing. :wink:
Giant- size
~ Good friends will come and bail you out of jail...Best friends will be sitting next to you saying, "Man, that was fun."~
redfish

Post by redfish »

Skinnywaterculture Micro fiber shirts keep me warm!! Sometimes if its to cold that and then a jacket over it works great
Amped Kayak Fishing and Southern Backwater on Facebook
Mercuryverado200 on Youtube
Wright Custom Rods
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Chris.G wrote:LOL . Mark you look like you are going ice fishing. :wink:
I may as well have been ice fishing. It was 32° when I launched that day.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Depends on your definition of cold. This morning I went wade fishing in chest waders 3mil, pull over windbreaker that has neoprene cuffs and waist bands. I was on the lee side of an Island and was warm and toatsty.When it gets extemely cold for Florida I throw on a pair of micro fleece long johns. I'm a firm believer that an Irsh wiskey cures all ills but, alcohol is the worst thing for you to protect you from the cold. A good hat and gloves is the key.
If it's too cold to have fun fishing why go !
0 0 1
Evan

Post by Evan »

Ibex microwool long johns.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Shep

Post by Shep »

I just wear a cotton long sleeve shirt under my nylon shirt, and a pair of drawers under my nylon pants. :roll:
New place, new fishing adventures.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Back in Colorado, I used to spray PAM on my flyline this time of year to keep it from freezing in the rod guides. Now THAT'S cold!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

You guys kill me. Cold. HAHA! Your in Tampa. Its old for what, an hour, maybe two.
Fish the Forgotten Coast.
brokenarrowjbe

Post by brokenarrowjbe »

Conditions from 30 to 50 degrees F Most people underestimate the effects of moderate cool weather, such as in florida. SAR info. John
Hypothermia is a condition where your body core temperature is too low to sustain your health. Hypothermia is a process of body heat loss, and sometimes a rapid one, that progressively debilitates your physical and mental abilities. Any temperature less than 98.6 degrees could cause it, but usually it occurs at temperatures that we consider "cold" (50 degrees F and less). Most cases of hypothermia tend occur at temperatures from 30 degrees F to 50 degrees F. However, environmental and physical conditions such as wet, wind, and exhaustion can cause hypothermia at higher temperatures and aggravate the severity of the condition at lower temperatures. Hypothermia can range from a level of discomfort to death and should never be ignored. Prevention is doubly important since hypothermia can quickly start to affect your brain's capacity to think straight. When heat loss threatens your body temperature's equilibrium, your body's demand to protect its vital core can result in as much as a 99% decrease in blood flow to the toes and fingers. Ultimately, your body will decide to shut your brain down to a state of unconsciousness in order to keep vital heart functions. Hypothermia is dangerous and difficult to treat, but easy to avoid.

Dressing properly for the outdoors is the single, most important prevention measure to avoid hypothermia. Being properly dressed for the outdoors can easily be accomplished if you think of it in three levels. First, you must dress appropriately for the main activity that you expect to be doing. Second, you must allow for varying degrees of exertion. And third, you must allow reasonable flexibility for unexpected changes. While many new "miracle" fabrics are advertised as being able to "do it all", the simplest and best solution is to dress in layers. This allows you to make adjustments in activity level or weather conditions to keep yourself comfortable and safe.

Our bodies can withstand a relatively broad temperature range (35 degrees F to 105 degrees F), but we are most comfortable when we are at homeostasis. Homeostasis is when your body produces and loses heat at the same level.

If you are participating in a low energy producing activity such as sitting quietly, you will produce less heat and will require more insulation (clothes). Conversely, if you are enjoying a high energy activity such as cross-country skiing you will produce excess heat and moisture and will need to shed some of that insulating clothing to allow them to escape.

The idea behind layering your clothing is that you can adjust your insulation to fit the activity and conditions that you are encountering. Remember, that the total range of your layering capability should include all the activities and levels of exertion that you expect to be doing, plus a buffer for unexpected conditions.

The most commonly encountered unexpected condition is precipitation, usually an unanticipated rain or wet snow. Moisture will quickly sap body heat and can severely reduce the effectiveness of the clothing that you have on. Wet conditions can increase the rate of your heat loss many times over.

The second commonly encountered unexpected condition is wind. Wind alone can reduce your heat by a substantial degree, but when combined with wet it can become severe and can quickly turn an uncomfortable outing into an dangerous one. Known as wind chill, this situation can be extreme in its effect often increasing heat loss by hundreds of times.

The most dangerous aspect of wind and wet is that it can create dangerous situations at seemingly mild temperatures. On a relatively nice spring or fall day with a temperature 50 degrees F, getting wet and being exposed to a 20 mph wind can be equal to a temperature of 32 degrees F. You will need to be dressed for freezing weather. Rain gear is effective as a barrier against both wet and windy conditions and should be a constant companion on any extended outing.

In its simplest form, layering your clothing consists of 4 layers. The base layer next to your skin should be light and not capable of readily absorbing moisture. Any of the plastic based cloth materials commonly available, such as polypropylene, are excellent. Moisture absorbing cotton is a poor choice.

The mid or insulating layer should be able to capture and hold air and also should allow moisture to pass through. The "dead air" provides insulation that maintains warmth while the moisture passes on through without dampening your clothes. The thickness of the insulting layer (or the numbers of layers) will be determined by the severity of the weather and are adjustable by adding or removing layers. The shell or outer layer should provide additional insulation and a moderate ability to block air. This will hold some of the undesirable moisture in, but is balanced by its wind blocking ability.

The final layer is not always used, but is necessary when you do need it, and that is a rainproof layer. It can also double as a windproof layer and can not only keep you dry, but warm as well. Wet clothes will quickly sap heat away from your body. The rate is 240 times faster than air! Depending on your clothing, when it's wet you can lose 90% of its insulation value.

While layering addresses your body core and limbs, don't forget your feet, head, and hands. A proper hiking shoe is best for outdoor excursions and is not easily replaced with athletic or casual dress shoes. Sturdy and adequate hiking boots provide the tread and foot protection needed on the trail. Most boots will keep your feet warm as long as you are active and your feet are dry. For extremely cold or wet conditions, rubber or felt pack boots may be a better choice.

Hats need to be functional rather than fashionable, and go a long way in protecting you from sun, wind, rain, and cold. Figures vary for heat loss through an uncovered heated but 50% heat loss at 40 degrees F is an accepted standard.

Unprotected hands sap heat from your whole body and when in contact with cold tools and rock can cause rapid heat loss. There are many styles of gloves and mittens. The important factors are that they do not fit tightly enough to restrict circulation and that they permit enough dexterity to allow you to do what you need. Generally, mittens are warmer than gloves.

Nobody expects to get lost, but with an eye toward preparedness, an extended hiker or hunter may find themselves in a position to survive a night in the wilds. Depending on variable factors such as season, weather, exhaustion level, age, skills, etc., you will need a few things to help you survive.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

I love my Sealskinz, knee high socks. Without those, I wouldn't kayak fish when the temperature dropped below 65.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Kayakpirate

Thanks for the information.

Post by Kayakpirate »

Thanks for all the great information.
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.