dread the red

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
bonefishwhisperer

dread the red

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

any questions?

Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Congrats on the Red on Dread... nice fish, wish I was there.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Re: dread the red

Post by BearsFan »

bonefishwhisperer wrote:any questions?
Where do you find the fluorescent orange plastic at? I have been to every dollar store in the city with no luck. Have made some decent looking gold and black dreads though.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
GILs_GONE_WILD

Re: dread the red

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

BearsFan wrote: Where do you find the fluorescent orange plastic at? I have been to every dollar store in the city with no luck. Have made some decent looking gold and black dreads though.
My grandson has a trick or treat bag that once opened up would be approximately 18" X 36". I'm trying to sell grandma on the idea of getting him a new one next year and let me hack that one up. Heck, it would supply a bunch of Electric Dread tyers. :D

Gil

p.s. Nice fish Cordell !!
bonefishwhisperer

you can always go and buy the EDGE GLO at flyshop...basically the same material but wider color spectrum..I bought all the edgebright that I could find and still have good supply BUT beads are harder to find
    Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
    Evan

Post by Evan »

bonefishwhisperer wrote: I bought all the edgebright that I could find and still have good supply
    I did the exact same thing when I discovered it was being discontinued. Still have a good stash of the orange and the green. Makes great scud patterns for freshwater. If you ever see this stuff, don't pass it up.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion
    bonefishwhisperer

thats funny Evan...thats how I know about it also...it is what I used for rainbow trout...polar shrimp/scuds the Fly Shop of Miami has supply of edgebright in stock now to cover all the dread groupies...again I cleaned out Pearls Art Store this week of all orange beads...I have 8 bags of orange...PLUS added bonus of finding black beads which is a 1st in 6yrs...to celebrate I have tyed up 2 dozen dreads and reworked the proto Dreadilito...I have even tested in water...all systems go!!!! could replace the Merkin as standard permit fly for the really serious people anyway....I will rewrite permit potential myself
      Evan

Post by Evan »

Some materials are just plain fun to work with. I'm curious about one thing, tho - how much importance do you place on specific fly patterns in the grand scheme of things? I have always believed presentation is FAR more important that fly pattern, but then again, I've never caught a Permit and only a handful of Bones. I know confidence is a big factor but honestly, you could catch those same fish on a wide range of fly patterns...right?
      Everyone is entitled to my opinion
      bonefishwhisperer

yes and no...as far as permit I have tried everything and 2 flies have worked...the crab and the dread...I have absolutely 0 confidence in trying anything else...that being said I have more faith in the dread than ANY fly invented at this time...for bones you still must meet certain requirements for the fly to work but most of that can be covered in presentation as you have said...also the redfish here in the bay are the toughest of all fish to catch...notice that pictures are almost non exsistent...I would say fly selection is important to them...again I have thrown everything under the sun and also seen live bait fail over and over...the dread and the speed dart are the only 2 flys to work in 3 solid yrs...that is why I use only 3 flys total but usually just the dread...it works for everything and I have the pictures to back up such claims...you should try them...it will sure save you lots of wasted time at the vise and buying materials
      GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Have you contacted Umpqua about the Electric Dread??? If not .... you should. :wink:
      GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
      bonefishwhisperer

actually I did...they invited me to send in a few for their yearly review or something like that....basically not interested I would say...BUT I think you will certainly like my new Electric Dread Converse Hightops that are being made right now