Fly line ?

CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

BearsFan wrote:I will be designing the replacement.
Can you put in a diving platform and scoring booth?

Sorry... back to fly lines.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
shallow pockets

Post by shallow pockets »

Wow. Thats why im not an english teacher. I agree that lessons can always help. "There will always be someone better than you that you can learn from."
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I have Sharkskin on my 6 and 8 and I love it. It has plenty of giddyup to cast as far as you want to throw, this is why it comes in 110ft lengths. It is supposed to last three times the life of other lines.
if you get some of this please get a stripping gaurd for your finger, I learned that the hard way. I love this stuff, and I use it in rivers for stipers and salt for whatever is around. I have used it from Hawaii to South Carolina and Florida.
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I have had the same problems with the Crystal PE. Even with a lot of stretching, it still holds tight coils. I didn't pay full price for it, but even with a discount, I wouldn't buy it again.

I liked the sharkskin, but I think the price is rediculous. There are just to many other good lines for half the price.

I would love to try the Monic, but I haven't seen it locally. Does anyone know where they may sell it? I might just have to buy it online.
islander

Post by islander »

ChrisR wrote: Does anyone know where they may sell it? I might just have to buy it online.
http://monic.com/retailers.htm (retailer list)

Nothing local that I know of. I picked up mine on closeout at www.chifly.com but it looks like they are out of 8...
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Thanks for that link. I needed a 7 weight, and they still had some in stock.
Evan

Post by Evan »

IMO, the best flyline for saltwater is Airflo Ridgeline.

It's extremely durable, has low memory, won't cut your fingers like the Sharkskin, and shoots like a dream thanks to the ridges. Honestly, it's the best one out there right now.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

I just put some SA Redfish Taper on my eight weight and really like it. I am a big fan of SA lines and have them on my 5, 7 and 8 wts. and have been happy with all of them.
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
Evan

Post by Evan »

SA line is great, but I have yet to get more than a single season out of any of their lines. How long have you had yours, and how often do you use them?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I used the 8wt Sharkskin for about two years, but you have to realize that I was fishing the crap out of it in many different locals. I think the thing that did it in was the guide in Hawaii simply tied a straight piece of mono onto the welded loop and it cut into the coating which caused a failure of the internal braid.

I love the stuff!
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

I like Cortland redfish taper for shoot casting and soft delivery...shark skin is out of the question for my fishing needs...way to aggressive and heavy plus abrasive...havent had a single client score a fish with it ...but it does have a following...I have recently used the clear cortland as well on my 10wt...difficult taper but bullet proof line...I have 0 memory with mine but I also use a ultra large arbour reel and also remember that is is TROPICAL line so really needs to be high 70's to work properly...also using a 16ft leader to help the aggressive taper action...the loop getting cut by the mono was error on the guides part...not a fan of loops myself but the proper knot and leader material wont cut the loop but the wrong knot will slice it quickly...use a double loop connection for that with thicker butt to avoid cutting the flyline
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I agree that it was the guide's fault on the leader to loop, but the line was replaced for me by the shop I bought it in.
Exactly what do you mean about it being too aggressive? I am not able to fish a certain type of area when I can go to the salt so I had to get a general purpose salt taper. I know there are certain tapers for certain fish, and I guess that is what you are meaning by the aggressiveness of my choice since I do not have a specific taper.
thanks for the info. :D
bonefishwhisperer

I am speaking of bones and permit mainly...Biscayne Bay to be exact
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

Anyone that can cast and make a good presentation with a 16 foot leader can use whatever line they want.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
bonefishwhisperer

I misread your post...sorry about that...all tapers are unique to a degree...I just like the redfish taper and cortland is my favorite redfish taper...I have used bonefish taper but still prefer redfish taper for everything...I am forcing myself to use the Cortland PE line because I believe in what they are trying to do but I have many issues with it and it cost me fish...much like sharkskin it is aggressive and has heavy, hard splashdown...you will always read of guys saying how far they can cast it..things like "casting the entire flyline"...that might be good for things like bluefish or something that doesnt spook and aint line shy...I probably will go to a tarpon taper for 10wt but my main target is permit..havent seen a redfish taper in 10wt ... the long leader allows the flyline splash to be softer but must think about each cast because it is odd feeling...to cast efficently with a 16ft leader you need to be working with a 20ft leader..when you drop back down to 16ft its easy :wink:
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

that's funny, he said throw a 20 ft leader :lol: :lol: :shock: