Keeping the tackle box to a minimum

mjrodney
Supporter 2012

Keeping the tackle box to a minimum

Post by mjrodney »

I am trying to minimize my paddle fishing tackle box to a point where only 3 lure types are carried on trips along the shallows of the Intracoastal Waterway, near Venice/Sarasota. Six lures in total. Three for clear water and 3 for dark water.

A top water, a shallow runner (24" or less) and a soft plastic bottom bouncer.

My current choices for clear water are a Zara Spook Jr. in bone, a Mirrodyne in green back, and a near clear DOA shrimp.

For stained or murky waters, I believe that I need darker colors for those lures, but which color works best around my neighborhood?

Any experiences on darker colors for the Spook, Mirrodyne and DOA in stained or murky waters?
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Keeping the tackle box to a minimum

Post by DaveR »

I think your selection is right on the money.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
overtheedge86

Post by overtheedge86 »

I've been narrowing down my selection as well, usually goes:

spook jr.- bone/silver
paddletail-white or brown (depending on water clarity)
gold or silver spoon (deping on water clarity)

for flies gurglers, deceivers, & weedless clouser

I can usually pack all of these into a pocket sized tackle box.
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

If you simply get a spook jr. in the Redfish color or orange and black that will work in darker water. I do the same thing, bright color for clear darker colors for night or darker water fishing. I was always told, fish only see in shadow, so the darker the lure the more shadow. Spook jr, in two shades and Exude Darts in two shades is all I carry.
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."