The Tale of the "Big Uglies"

Flamingo to Big Bend
Heywood

The Tale of the "Big Uglies"

Post by Heywood »

Big Bend Kayak Report
5 – 13 to 5 – 16 -2010

Day 1 “Anticipation”

Wow, where do you start when you spend three days in paradise? I guess you start at the beginning. My good friend Dave Robinson had planned a camping trip to the Big Bend area for some time, I met him on the road in Crystal River and we formed our two vehicle caravan the rest of the way to our campsite. A couple other friends, Tom and Dustin would be joining us later.

Base Camp
Image Image

So after getting the campsite setup, Dave and I were off. Less than a mile and thirty minutes from the launch, we were on the fish. We working a small cove and I spotted this tail pop up. Since I was shooting pictures I called Dave over. For several anxious minutes nothing happened. I just knew Dave was thinking, “This guy is nuts, there’s nothing over here” when all of a sudden I heard his jaw drop.

On the second cast Dave dropped it right in front of the “Big Ugly” and it was on.

The rest of the afternoon it was one tail after another.
Pulled hook!!

We poked around, never really getting out of sight of the launch, looking for the other species on our list, Redfish.

Day 1 comes to an end.

Day 2 “Un-Announced Breakfast Guest’s”

Day 2 dawned and since we were dealing with a low tide, (low tides up here equal not enough water for a kayak) we decided to have some breakfast before heading out. Our buddy Tom had arrived the following night, so we were just getting ready to grub out when our guest’s showed up. Now we had been warned about them before hand, but these guests almost ended up as part of the meal.

After breakfast we arrived at the launch to find someone has stolen all the water. No worries. Hoping Windfinder.com would be right about the winds dying down later, we shoved off.

Finding some relief from the leeside of an island, Dave took the opportunity to break out the fly rod. His goal of taking a redfish on fly was not achieved this trip, but it wasn’t for a lack of trying.

Once the tide had come up, we went back to an area we hit the day before and the reds were there.

Dave with a beautiful multi-spot redfish.

Tom Coffee

All three of us had really good luck with 1/4oz Johnson Silver spoons. Not too much later our ole friends who we had to come to refer to as the “Big Uglies” showed back up.

Dave set up on one and waited for the perfect opportunity.

Another great day came to an end.

This area is calm country; they farm them just off shore, so we just had to have some for dinner.

Day 3 “Going to School”

Dustin has arrived the night before, so today we would be following him around to a new area. This is Dustin’s home waters and he has the place dialed in. So off the four of us went on a 10 mile paddle in search of more of the same.

The tide was really low as we headed out, once we came back it had come way up and the area looked completely different.

Dustin is one hell of a fly fisherman and he did not disappoint.

He’s pretty handy with a bait caster too. While I was chasing more tailing “Big Uglies”, he was catching them with a spinner bait.

I had no luck what so ever with the black drum, but I did manage a redfish or two. These are really nice fish, they hit hard, are fat as a cow and just don’t quit.

Tom getting in on the redfish action.

Dustin with an absolute pig.

Like all good things, this day came to end way too soon. Fellows, I enjoyed it. That’s a special place and we will most assuredly go back.
Last edited by Heywood on Sun May 16, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
mjrodney
Supporter 2012

Re: The Tail of the "Big Uglies"

Post by mjrodney »

Paddle fishing stories don't get any better than this.

I enjoyed your tale, and photos, immensely.
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Re: The Tale of the "Big Uglies"

Post by SRQGator »

Double Ugly.

Nice pics Bill. Looks like an awesome trip.
Heywood wrote: Image
1 1 12?
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

A terrific trip indeed. Aside from morning winds, weather was excellent. No storms to contend with until I hit the Skyway on the way home today. Food was great with bbq chicken, grilled steaks, fried pompano (sorry Vlap but it was good) and Bill's famous potato casserole, all making an appearance.
After that first drum hit the second cast we figured this would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Not so! I would guess if you used split crabs or live shrimp you could catch em easier but with artificials, even Gulp, that thing had to literally be right under their nose for them to eat. A lot of fun for sure. For as large as they are the fight isn't too spectacular. No long runs unless you happen to snag one in the dorsal fin. That really pisses em off. :cool: Otherwise it's a back and forth with one ugly dude but a treasure for sure. First time you see those tails it's amazing.
It was a pleasure to finally meet Dustin. An excellent fisherman he is and following him around all day was indeed a learning experience. Many thanks sir. You're a class act. See ya in a couple months with any luck.
Many thanks Thomas for the fine cigars and much needed coffee. Aways a treat.
The hot line rang while I was away and apparently our silver friends are visiting. Time to hit the beach!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Excellente...................Great report about a great trip...................
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

Wow! The tailing shots came out very nice! Well done Bill!
Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

[quote="DaveR"]
It was a pleasure to finally meet Dustin. An excellent fisherman he is and following him around all day was indeed a learning experience. Many thanks sir. You're a class act. See ya in a couple months with any luck.
quote]

I second that, :salute:

If you look in the dictionary under "Wilderness Hardened", you will see a picture of Uncle Tommy sleeping in the back of his truck. :mrgreen:

Another class act :salute:

Dave your an animal, now I know why I always lose chicks to guys like. The stories you tell, like that time you and your friend did it with that cow, I want to party with you guy.

Lets hit the beach, just dont put one in my lap ok?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Nice trip boys, very nice.

You gotta be careful with Dave around cows, pigs he can handle.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

It was a heck of a good time fellas. Can't wait to do it again soon :cool:. Decent fishing, great food, lots of laughs...doesn't get much better. Yall even had the pleasure of encountering some of the local wildlife (the other "hawgs", two-legged neighbor variety :mrgreen:) .

Also thanks to both Bill and Dave for some fantastic pictures. I normally fish solo, so action shots are few and far between.

Too bad Dave didn't get his red on fly...gives you a good reason to come back though ;).
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Thanks Todd. That is a good memory! :razz: :razz: :razz:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

Stay outta my holes damnit! Nice catchin' guys. Looks like a good time for sure.
Dustin is the man. :cool:
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
snooker56

Post by snooker56 »

Great story and pics. Thank you.
"Bugman" Tom

Heritage Redfish 14
Chevy Silverado
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Very nice pictures, and a great story.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Always nice to see a big smile on an angler instead of the pissed off I am a bad ass look on a face.

Glad you all had a good time.

Dave why didn't you retrieve my kayak from Dustin you know there was only one made in that color and it was the one that got stolen?

Oh that's right I already settled that with the thief (not Dustin).
Credo quia absurdum
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

Nice report.
And nice pictures Bill...who took them ? :joker:
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Did you guys ever make it up to Steinhatchee? Those big drum are pretty cool aren't they. I remember the first time I saw those tails. No one told me about them and I was freaking out. It is tough to even get them to eat a shrimp in front of their face and I am always amazed at these guys catching them of lures. We fished the Suwannee area and did good but the group I was with were all fishing out of stink pots. We had a great time too. Camping out at the mound is definately a FL treat.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve