mack attack

Flamingo to Big Bend
pcronin

mack attack

Post by pcronin »

Hey guys, I've been tryin to get on some kings and macks paddling off the beach. However, I keep getting bit off on mono leaders, so I'll switch to cable and the bite disappears... Are you guys using wire? Or what am I doing wrong here?

I've also have been chasing a few poons in the yak, but I'm really not sure how thats gunna work out if I happen to hookup on one... do you guys use a drift sock, anchor, or free float for such circumstances?

Any tips would be nice.
Thanks,
Pete
Swamprider

Re: mack attack

Post by Swamprider »

30lb Flourocarbon........
2b1 Ask one
noles

Post by noles »

pcronin wrote:Hey guys, I've been tryin to get on some kings and macks paddling off the beach. However, I keep getting bit off on mono leaders, so I'll switch to cable and the bite disappears... Are you guys using wire? Or what am I doing wrong here?

I've also have been chasing a few poons in the KAYAK, but I'm really not sure how thats gunna work out if I happen to hookup on one... do you guys use a drift sock, anchor, or free float for such circumstances?

Any tips would be nice.
Thanks,
Pete
Right now, your most likely get cut off by macks or blues. Doubt the kings of any size are still around. For macks, just up size your flouro leader to 40lb and use a long shank hook if you're using live bait. For the big kings, I use 60# flouro and tie in a short 6 or 9" nylon coated wire hooked directly to the lure.

For tarpon, I would recommend teaming up with someone or hang close (not on top of them) to another kayaker. A drift chute is a must for tarpon, keeps you from getting pulled to Mexico and shortens the fight. Which is good for the tarpon. Keep in mind that you need to figure out a way to revive the tarpon after a lengthy battle. Easy with a buddy but if you're on your own use your boca grip (or similiar) device. Attach a short piece of rope (3') to the grip and put a loop on the other end. Attach the loop over your foot (mid-way not over) and pin it against the foot peg, which frees your hand to paddle. Start paddling, once the fish is ready to go, she'll let you know. Your foot will start bouncing around. Pull the fish towards you and unclip her! If the man in the gray suit show up and interrupts the process, quickly pull the fish towards you and unclip it. If you're life is in danger, tilt your foot towards you which should free up the rope and allow you to paddle like crazy! Hopefully your gripper is an inexpensive one and not a real boca. Good luck!
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
pcronin

Post by pcronin »

Thanks guys, I was throwing 40lb fluoro got bit off, switched to 100lb mono... same story. Not sure quite sure what was cutting me off, pretty sure it was macks boiling the baitfish (I was seeing something large flashing). I'll have to switch gears to a wire leader I guess.

As for the poons, I've seen a few fellow kayakers out off the beach (IRB) and assumed if I happened to hook up they would help out but I didn't want to rely on that. The boga grip idea sounds like a good one.

Thanks again, I'm beach front for about another week so hopefully I'll get on something (given the waves settle down).
Pete
Rik

Post by Rik »

noles wrote: Attach a short piece of rope (3') to the grip and put a loop on the other end.
Instead of a grip, go to the local tackle shop and get a BIG hook like a 12/0. Tie that to the line instead of the grip. Just be sure to grind off the barb on the hook. A lot cheaper to lose than a fish gripper. One more thing, make it a big loop that goes around your foot. You will want it to come off your foot easily.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Try steel leader. 30lpb.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
pcronin

Post by pcronin »

Sounds good guys, I've got a few monster hooks around for sharking so I'll just knock off one of the barbs. Now I just gotta get hooked up to one of those silver suckers... IF it ever calms down out there... I rolled my little t120 over after a bait drop. (given I was surfing my yak up the beach)