spearing rays

Flamingo to Big Bend
pcronin

spearing rays

Post by pcronin »

I've heard you can spear/bowfish stingrays. However, I can't find anything pertaining to it in the FL fishing regs... Does anybody have any experience with this, or know what the laws are? I would like to do some bow fishing out of my kayak but want to make sure it is all legal first.
I've also heard those suckers taste like scallops if you throw em in the fridge for a little while to firm up... anybody know if thats legit?
(I mainly want to use them for sharking tho...)
Rik

Re: spearing rays

Post by Rik »

http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Saltwater ... earing.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

I always thought it was joke.. fake scallops made from rays using a cookie cutter and a hammer.

I know you can practice on flounders, sheepshead and mangrove snappers
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Devodud

Post by Devodud »

It looks like you can bowfish to me, according to the regs
If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough!!
pcronin

Post by pcronin »

Thanks again guys.
I guess I can bowfish right off the beach since it is excluded from the 100 yard rule... I was thinking about doing that extra early in the morning when no one is on the beach (and its calm... or at least it used to be...) just so I dont draw a bunch of attention and piss off everyone when I harpoon a ray... Thats the main reason I wanted to make sure it was 100% legal, shooting rays will almost certainly ensure that some old lady walking the beach will call me in...
Rik

Post by Rik »

If you walk down the beach with a bow and quiver full of arrows, several will call you in even before you pull back the bowstring.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

What are you going to do with the Ray once you shoot it?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
pcronin

Post by pcronin »

I think I'm going to rule out the beach, and just hit the ICW's... a lot less people to worry about.

Best way I've found, is to put your paddle blade on the ray once you get it in to hold down the tail and then cut it off so it cant get you.
Swamprider

Post by Swamprider »

Check it out carefully. Rays are awesome to eat. But Florida I believe considers a bow the same as a gun. Tresspassing with a gun in Florida is a felony. So for example getting caught with a bow/gun someplace they are not allowed......See where I am going? We face the same issues duck hunting. BTW cut bait works awesome for rays and they are a great fight on light tackle. Watch out for the barb!
2b1 Ask one
pcronin

Post by pcronin »

Swamprider wrote:Check it out carefully. Rays are awesome to eat. But Florida I believe considers a bow the same as a gun. Tresspassing with a gun in Florida is a felony. So for example getting caught with a bow/gun someplace they are not allowed......See where I am going? We face the same issues duck hunting. BTW cut bait works awesome for rays and they are a great fight on light tackle. Watch out for the barb!

Exactly why I'm using as much caution as possible... I have caught rays on cut bait before, mostly accidentally, but they do put up a pretty good fight hugging the bottom like a suction cup. I do enjoy the different challenge that bowfishing offers tho, so thats why I'm trying to go that route... I would just rather not have to deal with a CPO, and if one happens to stop me I want to make absolutely sure I am in the right.
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

Not sure about bowing them but gigging with a stakeout pole works well

Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis
pcronin

Post by pcronin »

[quote="DouGR81"]Not sure about bowing them but gigging with a stakeout pole works well

WOW. You must be a real Davy Crocket with your SOP!
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Todd wrote:What are you going to do with the Ray once you shoot it?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
pcronin

Post by pcronin »

Todd wrote:
Todd wrote:What are you going to do with the Ray once you shoot it?

I'd like to give them a try on the grill to see if all this business of them tasting like scallops is true. They also make for about the best shark bait around for the big guys.