Stick Worms

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
bluebill

Stick Worms

Post by bluebill »

The larger bass down here in the southwest are grabbing plastic stick worms like Yamamoto, StrikeKing or Yum

I have been fishing them unweighted and they are taken either immediately after hitting the water or as I am slow swimming the worm back in.

From the lack of activity on this freshwater forum, I assume all of you Tampa folks are out catching tarpon and that is hard to beat.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water

Re: Stick Worms

Post by 0119 »

Yeah not many freshwater guys around here. You must be the only sweetwater guy in St. James City just like Im the only one in Englewood! I havent had a bass on a Senko in over a year. So far this year has been my best, more bass over 5lbs than I have seen all my live. All on a spook jr.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I know they work on NY and MI smallies. bet redfish would eat em up too.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Post by 0119 »

They work on snook. Ive caught quite a few on the white clear lam w/silver flake tiki stick. Shallow Water Angler did an article once catching flounder on senko's.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

I caught a few more bass on senkos today. Fished one worm for an hour and it was so chewed up I had to discard it. They cast a mile on light braid so you can quickly cover the water.

I tried a new spot in Cape Coral, Lake Kennedy, and they were taking the worm but not on the swim back. I will try plugs again as that is fun but hard to fish right now with all of the mats of musk grass on the surface.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

I had an hour or so to fish some canals in the Northwest Cape this afternoon.

I caught a few bass on plastic worms but the takes were few.

At the last spot, I switched to a topwater plug, a Heddon Tiny Torpedom and caught 3 larger bass before heading home. Also missed several more that would hit the plug but not hook up.

This spot is along a seawall with no brush behind so a perfect place to try the fly rod. I will do that tomorrow late morning after a doctors appt. Seems like if they liked the little torpedo, they should take a deerhair bass bug.

Post by 0119 »

Thursday my fishing partner caught a 36" snook and a 4lb bass on consecutive casts using a tiny torpedo. He caught bass all day and 2 snook on that plug, even high noon. I didnt have a prop bait in my bag! Lesson learned, bring my bigger tackle box.