Primitive "survivalist" camping location advice needed

casteryaker

Primitive "survivalist" camping location advice needed

Post by casteryaker »

My friend and I have been talking for a while about doing a 2 or 3 day "survival scenario" type of camping trip, but not hardcore to thew= point of being unsafe.
I do plan to take a cell phone, just in case, water purification pills, a pellet rifle or slingshot (undecided), and a knife. Havent ironed out the details exactly yet, but im trying to find a spot where we could go and "live off the land" (respectfully) without getting a hard time. Reccomendations on an area would be greatly appreciated!!!
BiGDiLL

Re: Primitive "survivalist" camping location advice needed

Post by BiGDiLL »

You can try out Myakka River State Park. They have several primative camping sites.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Big Cypress Swamp

http://www.nps.gov/bicy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

No weapons allowed at Myakka but a neat park.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
fishpirate

Post by fishpirate »

If you do decide to go anywhere, please bring something other then a pellet gun or a knife unless you know how to use it for self defense. Just my 2 cents. If I where you, I would google the Chassahowitzka area. Tons of places to camp and get lost. 7 miles from the headspring to the Gulf. Good luck!! :salute:
Wuluf

Post by Wuluf »

Take Les Stroud.
Wuluf
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

Wuluf wrote:Take Les Stroud.
Or Man, Woman, Wild—minus the man.

Tell us more Caster about the minimal supplies you do plan to take, what you hope to find for food, etc. I've been meaning to get a copy of this book: Surviving the Wilds of Florida, by Reid F. Tillery.
1 1 12?
casteryaker

Post by casteryaker »

Was planning to take a bowie kinfe, a magnesium "metal match" for last resort, slingshot, and a hatchet. maybe a gallon of water or some water purification tablets, possibly a canoe, and two decent sets of clothing. and a cell phone
As far as food, I would really like to forage/hunt everything. Im thinking fish, squirrel, dove, etc...if I can find a suitable venue that is.
I have some very decent outdoor sense and experience, but as always, im opemj to advice, and will take everything into consideration. Has anyone done a trip like this or know anyone who has?
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

casteryaker wrote:Was planning to take a bowie kinfe, a magnesium "metal match" for last resort, slingshot, and a hatchet. maybe a gallon of water or some water purification tablets, possibly a canoe, and two decent sets of clothing. and a cell phone
As far as food, I would really like to forage/hunt everything. Im thinking fish, squirrel, dove, etc...if I can find a suitable venue that is.
I have some very decent outdoor sense and experience, but as always, im opemj to advice, and will take everything into consideration. Has anyone done a trip like this or know anyone who has?
You might want to take into consideration the hunting/fishing regulations, seasons and licenses - they will apply to you. Gun season doesn't open till Nov. In my experience anywhere you can do this in FL there are pigs...you need a fairly large caliber (.380 or.45 cal.) pistol for personal safety. I did this a couple of times down the Withlacoochee River many years ago(30) but things were a little different then.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
BiGDiLL

Post by BiGDiLL »

I would probably recommend you take some sort of food with you. You never know how the conditions will be and if you end up not killing something to eat you'd wish you brought along some peanuts or granola bars.
casteryaker

Post by casteryaker »

Is there a season on squirrel etc? Would be using a slingshot to hunt. Or attempting to get fish maybe with a handline? This is all the stuff I need to decide. I want to keep it as minimal as possible but at the same time don't think ill get away with spearing fish. Haha I guess it would be prudent to take some type of emergency food supply.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

casteryaker wrote:Is there a season on squirrel etc? Would be using a slingshot to hunt. Or attempting to get fish maybe with a handline? This is all the stuff I need to decide. I want to keep it as minimal as possible but at the same time don't think ill get away with spearing fish. Haha I guess it would be prudent to take some type of emergency food supply.
Yes there is a season for squirrel, same as general gun season and you need a fishing license to hand line. I understand the motive but time has made it more difficult. A real good reference on edible plants if Florida would be a good idea too. There a a bunch of them (plants)...but there are also a bunch that will kill you.
Try looking here.
http://www.myfwc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Shep

Post by Shep »

One can of spam per person, per day, and a freeze dried meal per person per day and about 5 gallons of water, just in case. You don't have to use it, but would make life much easier if you have it and need it for whatever reason. Some stores have little fold flat stoves that use a can of sterno, or you can shove some twigs in it for cooking. As far as hunting, assuming you have a liscence and everything is in season, what can you hit your target with? The pellet gun or the sling shot? Maybe look up how to make a deadfall, or a snare online, and do that, then revert back to the slingshot or the pellet gun if needed. Bring a 50' length of paracord for making your snares and deadfalls, and putting together some kind of shelter. I know you're quickly getting away from a true survival type trip, but wouldn't it be a life saver if for some reason you needed this stuff? Like you couldn't find a single squirrel, or the fish just refused to eat, or got lost, or fell, broke a leg and your buddy has to go to get help? I'm not saying you have to use the stuff, but please please please have stuff packed and ready should a real emergency arise.
New place, new fishing adventures.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

casteryaker wrote:Was planning to take a bowie kinfe, a magnesium "metal match" for last resort, slingshot, and a hatchet. maybe a gallon of water or some water purification tablets, possibly a canoe, and two decent sets of clothing. and a cell phone
Yeah, it was called Air Force survival training. :lol:

One thing to remember, and its a biggie. Most of the places mentioned are some kind of state park or national preserve. No hunting or firearms of anykind. You can be busted for a sling shot or even a knife if they catch you hunting. So that kinda rules out the squirrel meal.

File a float plan with someone before you go. Good luck
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

As a last resort, look up a recipe or two on Swamp Cabbage. I would also suggest a backup hand gun. Survivalist is fun and exciting, but coming home is what my family would prefer. That little bit of "peace of mind" would probably help your reasoning skills if confronted by a rotten situation. But check the rules of where you decide to go. I like Rik's suggestion of Big Cypress or Green Swamp! :cool:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

On a 2 or 3 day trip, food shouldn't be your primary concern. Your body can go much longer without food. You should be able to put all the food you will NEED for the weekend in your pockets (a couple of Cliff's bars or something similar). A bigger concern should be water and shelter. If you don't want to carry water, at least carry a stove so that you can boil the water you are planning to drink. If you can, pack a small tarp and some rope. If nothing else, it will give you shade and rain protection (you definitely don't want to get soaked in the evening or at night) if you can't craft something, or find a suitable natural shelter (beware of these, if it looks comfy to you, it likely looks comfy to something else).
If you wish to hunt, your best bet is to probably find a wildlife management area (WMA) near you that allows camping. Check the WMA hunting and fishing regulations, because they can be more strict than general state regs. You could also look into asking for, or buying private land access. This would likely be the best choice (IMO) if you can work it out. Hogs, rabbits, raccoons, opossums, skunks, nutrias, beavers and coyotes are the only animals that can be hunted year round (on private land, it will be different at different WMA's). I also agree that a sidearm should be carried (I wouldn't carry less than a 9mm). A slingshot, or pellet gun will not be enough if you suprise a bear or hog while walking through the woods.