Late St. Pete Report

Flamingo to Big Bend
Redman0421

Late St. Pete Report

Post by Redman0421 »

Had a fun little twilight/night fishing Saturday on the flats near Snell Isle in Saint Pete. Fishing a Strike King Glass Minnow on the edge of a mud and grass flat in 2-3 feet of water, I extracted what seemed like every trout in the Bay. All about 15 inches, but all were released to be caught another day. Had a gator dog-bone my lure, but only so he could huff it back out. :cry:
An odd pattern appeared: dozens of bonnethead sharks were sifting around in the thick grass in about a foot of water. So as twilight shifted to darkness, I took out my trusty frozen threadfin herring (I always bring some along as a safety measure) and started chucking that around and letting it sit on the bottom. Within a couple minutes I was hooked onto a good 3 foot shark, which pulled drag like you wouldn't believe on those little trout rods. :) A couple more sharks I called it a night!
"Hey now Partner- that wasn't very nice."
BadBackcast

Re: Late St. Pete Report

Post by BadBackcast »

Night fishing rules....
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Cool! Glad to hear someone catching in my old stomping grounds!

Those little sharks sure get thick on those flats and are tons of fun on light tackle.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
Redman0421

Post by Redman0421 »

BadBackcast wrote:Night fishing rules....
???Please do inform me of these... rules???
Redman0421

Post by Redman0421 »

seeinred wrote:Cool! Glad to hear someone catching in my old stomping grounds!

Those little sharks sure get thick on those flats and are tons of fun on light tackle.
And thank you, seeinred! In the daylight I saw at least twenty dorsal fins. Nice flats to fish on, indeed! :thumbleft: