Targeting snook during the cold months

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Targeting snook during the cold months

Post by DaveR »

Care to discuss????
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: Targeting snook during the cold months

Post by Todd »

The PFTS is going to replace snook with flounder in January, if that tells you anything.

I don't think it is a good idea, especially after this past winter, but it is totally legal so if someone wants to go for it, have at it. Who am I to judge? Yes there could be a legal vs ethical argument but those are never won or lost on a fishing forum.

JMHO.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

I wonder how their mortality rate compares to catching Tarpon in the middle of their breeding season.
Please, call me Kate
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

Each winter, Mother Nature kills far more snook than all of the fisherman in FL combined.

What about targeting snook in the Everglades during the winter? Anyone have a problem with that?
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Last time I targeted one was the second event of the PFTS back in October, didn't take long before I moved on.

Just after the last freeze we had I noticed quite a bit of dead juvenile snook in a canal near my house. I never saw dead Snook in there before, not even last year. I saw on the weather a few days ago ABC Action News (Denis Phillips) has forecasted a warmer than normal January and February. I hope he's right for the sake of our Snook.

The PFTS Chairman wrote:The PFTS is going to replace snook with flounder in January, if that tells you anything.

Bring on the "Flattie"!!!
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Myself, no I havent targeted them at all since last year. I know where some real nice breeders are, but made a choice not to pursue them.

They have been hit really hard on the south shore. I have talked with many guides and seen for myself this past season and the outlook is grim. Spots that should have been holding tons of spawning snook were bare. None, Nada, Nothing. All summer long.

Like you said Todd, no legal problem at all. Ethical?? That might be another story all together. Kinda like the fellow that preach's about conservation, then targets snook for profit during the spawn. Legal yes. Ethical?? :scratch:

For those that still have snook to catch, I say take very good care of them.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

Uncle Tommy wrote:I wonder how their mortality rate compares to catching Tarpon in the middle of their breeding season.
Exactly.

I also wonder if trout see more stress in winter than snook since everyone and their mama target them and still handle them improperly.
Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis
islander

Post by islander »

Left them alone last winter for obvious reasons. I do fish for them only if it's been "warm" for a period of time... I do try to get them in as quick as possible, leave them in the water during release. Barbless since birth...
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Uncle Tommy wrote:I wonder how their mortality rate compares to catching Tarpon in the middle of their breeding season.
I wonder if a pound of apples weighs the same as a pound of oranges.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

DaveR wrote:
It's probably as high as the Bucs in the playoffs - if not lower.
JB
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

You can't help what takes your lure when you cast it out there. That's why it's called fishing and not catching. I'm not one to target snook in the winter, but if I do hook one, I handle it with care.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'

Post by 0119 »

I for the most catch snook only in the wintertime. Im a Bass angler first and foremost. On the 16th we found hundreds of dead ladyfish floating up a creek in Charlotte Harbor. Lots more were stunned hanging at the surface. I was surprised to find a dead jewfish around 10lbs. up the creek, really its more like a old man made canal. We caught 11 Snook all seemed energetic and were aggressive. I fish for whatever strikes my lure. I release everything, always. Sure I can see avoiding snook if they get hit hard but Ive caught more and bigger snook since last years freeze than I had for years before it.
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

FAF..flatties are fine :cheers: I caught one last Saturday.
Practiced with the hot rig last week...gold dart Carolina rigged.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

A couple articles re: Snook mortality:

http://baysoundings.com/spring06/hookedonsnook.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://myfwc.com/NEWSROOM/Resources/New ... lsFAQs.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take the numbers with a grain of salt. Pretty sure they didn't ask me how many Snook I caught last year.

I have been known to invite a fish or two home for dinner, but have not harvested a Snook in more than a decade. Having said that, if I see a big girl sunning herself, I'm pretty sure I won't overcome the urge to throw at her. As recreational anglers, by definition we are purposefully inflicting pain and psychological angst upon fish for our own enjoyment. We have all found a way to get past that. Now, if you can show me I am significantly endangering the life of a big beauty by winter targeting, I have been known to change my opinion on an issue or two. Really.

UT
Please, call me Kate
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

We have all found a way to get past that.
get past what ?
0 0 1
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

You wouldn't understand, Shamus. You killed Bambi!
Please, call me Kate