Heritage Marquesa scupper crack...

Chadryan

Heritage Marquesa scupper crack...

Post by Chadryan »

Well, I got home from a couple hours of paddling around tonight and noticed the dreaded scupper hole crack on my Marquesa 14. It really stinks because I just got rid of my Mojo due to cracks in several areas. I got the Marquesa used from Dave over at Action Watersports. It was a couple years old, but in amazing condition.

Does anybody have any recommendation as to where I can take it to be repaired. I would love to be able to take it back to Dave in Auburndale, but it is almost impossible for me to get all the way out there. I live in S. Tampa, so anywhere in Hillsborough or Pinellas county would be great.
-Chad
WS Tarpon 140
Heritage Marquesa 14
MrSpectaculous

Re: Heritage Marquesa scupper crack...

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Canoe Country can fix it. They have done a few.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

I had Osprey Bay repair one of mine and their repair work held. They repaired it at no charge but I would assume if it is a Marquesa, due to the age of the boat, they will probably charge you a fee for the work. Although just about any place in town can do a repair, because Osprey Bay has a relationship with Heritage, they are probably more inclined to take care of your boat at no-charge. CCO refused to repair one of my Heritage kayaks even though I bought it there. They had a falling out with Heritage a few years ago. CCO evidently isn't too keen on their manufacturers snuggling up with the local competition.
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

22acrowd wrote:I had Osprey Bay repair one of mine and their repair work held. They repaired it at no charge but I would assume if it is a Marquesa, due to the age of the boat, they will probably charge you a fee for the work. Although just about any place in town can do a repair, because Osprey Bay has a relationship with Heritage, they are probably more inclined to take care of your boat at no-charge. CCO refused to repair one of my Heritage kayaks even though I bought it there. They had a falling out with Heritage a few years ago. CCO evidently isn't too keen on their manufacturers snuggling up with the local competition.
I had the same thing happen to my scupper holes on my Heritage Redfish 14. CCO didn't want to touch it either due to the falling out they had with Heritage a few years ago. I need to get some time and get up to Osprey Bay to have mine repaired.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
Chadryan

Post by Chadryan »

Thanks guys.

I called both CCO and Osprey Bay. The guy who answered the phone at Osprey Bay was very familiar with the issue and was able to quote me an actual price (per hour). The person who answered the phone at CCO didn't seem to have any idea what I was talking about and wasn't sure how much it would cost. I will probably take it up to Osprey Bay later this week before the crack begins to grow.
-Chad
WS Tarpon 140
Heritage Marquesa 14
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

Make sure Tom does the work. They have some youngins in there that would love to get all Monster Garage on your kayak if given the chance. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not let someone learn how to do a heat weld on my boat.
americanrobster

22acrowd wrote:Make sure Tom does the work. They have some youngins in there that would love to get all Monster Garage on your kayak if given the chance. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not let someone learn how to do a heat weld on my boat.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
Chadryan

Post by Chadryan »

I took the kayak over to Osprey Bay this afternoon and Tom did what appears to be a great patch job. He did it while I waited and the price was more than reasonable. I will have to give a little testing this weekend to see how it holds up.
-Chad
WS Tarpon 140
Heritage Marquesa 14
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

How did he repair it, did he use heat or glue?
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Chadryan

Post by Chadryan »

He used a cutting bit in a drill and cut from one end of the crack to the other to prevent it from spreading. Then he cut strips of new plastic and used heat to weld them in place...
-Chad
WS Tarpon 140
Heritage Marquesa 14
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

I've had this problem before, I also bought my Heritages from CCO. As said they cannot repair it because it is a manufacturer defect, thus, since they aren't a dealer, they cannot repair it. Osprey repaired it for me once and has since cracked again, my next move will be to drop it of at Osprey Bay where they will photograph it, then forward the pictures to Heritage. Hopefully it will then be replaced as a manufacturer defect (which it is). After that, my Heritage will be hitting the market. I've had four and all four have had the same problem. :x

If I had to guess, their falling out with Heritage had more to due with the constant barrage of manufacturer defects and less to do with their competition, Osprey Bay isn't exactly that close to CCO. That being said, the guys at CCO are great, I actually just picked up my Heritage from there tonight, dropped it off earlier today to have a rudder repaired. They took care of it AND patched a hole behind my seat (where the bracket had pulled out) put in a new anchor trolley line and replaced the bungee on my paddle holder FREE of charge... couldn't find better customer service out there. :thumbleft:
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
americanrobster

seeinred wrote:I've had this problem before, I also bought my Heritages from CCO. As said they cannot repair it because it is a manufacturer defect, thus, since they aren't a dealer, they cannot repair it. Osprey repaired it for me once and has since cracked again, my next move will be to drop it of at Osprey Bay where they will photograph it, then forward the pictures to Heritage. Hopefully it will then be replaced as a manufacturer defect (which it is). After that, my Heritage will be hitting the market. I've had four and all four have had the same problem. :x

If I had to guess, their falling out with Heritage had more to due with the constant barrage of manufacturer defects and less to do with their competition, Osprey Bay isn't exactly that close to CCO. That being said, the guys at CCO are great, I actually just picked up my Heritage from there tonight, dropped it off earlier today to have a rudder repaired. They took care of it AND patched a hole behind my seat (where the bracket had pulled out) put in a new anchor trolley line and replaced the bungee on my paddle holder FREE of charge... couldn't find better customer service out there. :thumbleft:
My Heritage Redfish 14 will be hitting the market once I get it fixed as well.

CCO is one of the best kayak shops that I've ever walked into in this area.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'