Bait question

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
Keith B

Bait question

Post by Keith B »

I want to thank everyone that responded to the Flamingo thread I started, it really was a big help.
Now I need to prepare for the assortment of baits to throw in Early April in Flamingo.
I just picked up a Stradic 3000 loaded with #20 braid, on a new Medium 7ft TFO spinning rod.
I will also be fly fishing, and I think I have that covered.
I need to know what soft plastics to bring and what size hooks, and should I bring the hooks with the weights integrated to them?

Thanks guys, this should be an epic adventure for me, and I appreciate your help.
Keith :salute:
Keith B

Re: Bait question

Post by Keith B »

really no replies after more than 30 views?
I did not realize I was asking for any secrets. I am just trying to get a tackle bag together to make the trip a little better. if I was able to fish this more than once a lifetime I would figure it out myself.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Keith B wrote:I need to know what soft plastics to bring and what size hooks, and should I bring the hooks with the weights integrated to them?
Anything you see being used along this coast can be used down there. Jerk baits, topwaters, spoons....they all work
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

You're going to be bushwhacking mangrove shorelines out there. The difference is that many of them have deep water butted right up against them and could be holding 100+ lb Tarpon as well as the usual suspects. You'll want a variety of weighted hooks to explore the water column.

The water will be clear in April.

Tides run big and fast. Be sure to bring a sinking tip flyline.

There are always the men in grey suits if you care to dabble in after-dark entertainment.

Good Luck!

UT
Please, call me Kate
Rik

Post by Rik »

Uncle Tommy wrote:There are always the men in grey suits if you care to dabble in after-dark entertainment.
Bring a heavy rod, heavy leader, big hooks and keep any jacks or other non game fish you catch for bait. Cast off the beach. Sit and wait. Won't take long.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Oh hell. Are you kidding me? I am even more pumped now!!! :-B
perch

Post by perch »

Early morning like when dark and sun is rising pick your favorite top water and hold on and make sure you are using salt water hooks.

Off set 4/0, 5/0 hooks with white or glitter n white split tail jerk baits rigged weed less to work over the potholes and skip into the shaded shorelines, other friends like root beer glitter with chartruese tails, like you would use for bass fishing

My go to is 1/4 oz cotee jig head with paddle tail of choice being gold glitter to bounce on the bottom in deeper water channels

Caught snook on fly using something white, sorry not too technical on the fly stuff I just use what friends donate to me:)

Find my older posts to see the bug set up holding fish. Here is bug proof preparation 100 deet as "base layer" on skin, long sleeves and pants with feet and wrists covered, cap and then bug hat all sprayed AGAIN and maybe you won't get bit as much. I usually go in June, July, August so other times they are just a nuisance.
Sure I will catch heck for posting I go in summer but that is when I have max time off and park is only an or less from my door.
Rik

Post by Rik »

perch wrote:Sure I will catch heck for posting I go in summer but that is when I have max time off and park is only an or less from my door.
Catch heck? Heck no, you're either more of a man than I or crazy in the head.
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Thanks Perch.
I am planning to bring some zonkers in a few colors; white, chartruse, black, and purple. I will also bring some seaducers in white with different color collars, a few crab patterns as well. I will be heading to Bass Pro to get my soft baits a few weeks before I head down.
Right now I am trying to figure out the leader setup so I am not under gunned.
Thanks guys, you are making this much easier for me.
If the skeeter, snakes, scorpions, crocs, gators, and bull sharks dont get me I should have a good time :scratch:
perch

Post by perch »

Crazy for sure and like I told my daughter and she posted to her friends..."I have accepted I am crazy and so are other people, it just depends on how much crazy you show the world." Sometimes I show too much but have learned not to honk at people in Miami traffic:)

As far as leader I go 20lb flouro tied with a uni knot to the braid and so do most people I know use this UNLESS you are targeting the big tarpon that roll in the am right and left of the marina exit and left of joe kemp key near the snake bight channel. If that is you ask the guys that target those monsters, my buddy uses 35 to 60lb and ups the size of the split rings on the topwaters. I am happy with juvenile tarpon.

As water was reported as being "clear" not sure about darkest colors but good to bring if the wind stirs things up. If that happens hang on the lee sides and tell yourself "I am in Flamingo and this is fun despite being skunked."

You will see most of the critters you mentioned especially the bull and black tip sharks cruising the flats. Gators holed up in front of the entrances to spots you really want to fish. Fun inches from your yak! Look up old posts from from last summer from "red fish n ale" and should give you same info but better pictures ( am lazy about uploading pics) and camping info.

Lay out everything you think you need and leave half of it at home think, "one lure challenge" especially since you mentioned "spinning and fly". But what do I know.
peace
Rik

Post by Rik »

I'd pay heed to perch's suggestion. It's February so he's well received from last summer's massive blood loss.
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Thanks perch I am seriously trying to pack as light as possible with just a small waist pack for a tackle bag to keep in the kayak. I do not want to be fumbling through stuff. A soft side cooler in the back for drinks and snacks and the waist pack for tackle should be about it during the day except for my emergency kit.
Much more of this talk about possible killers and I may stay home and watch YouTube vies of other people fishing flamingo :)