Kayak Cart/Dolly

DavidtheProducer

Kayak Cart/Dolly

Post by DavidtheProducer »

Hey guys, do any of you know where I can buy a nice strap-on kayak cart for cheap? I need one after this last outing...

I'd love to put one together with these instructions I found but don't have the tools for it
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Re: Kayak Cart/Dolly

Post by Fishaddict »

You certainly can find them at TackleShack in PP or Canoe Country in Kenneth City. The cost of materials given here are more than the cost of many carts...
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

DavidtheProducer wrote:Hey guys, do any of you know where I can buy a nice strap-on kayak cart for cheap? I need one after this last outing...

I'd love to put one together with these instructions I found but don't have the tools for it
I built one a while ago for my canoe and found out that the savings we're not that great.

You may want to look at the p-f-com sponsors and "keep it in the family".

That said, in general

ebay + hammersnipe + trolling for 1-2 weeks = good deal

However, you have to be patient and you'll lose some auctions

You're on your on your own for quality. I have a metal one and a pvc one - I like the metal one more. It collapses, is lighter, easier to store, and has a stand to help mounting the canoe/kayak.

Sounds like you're gearing up the new kayak. If you don't have a good VHF radio, I would get that first. Handheld, floating. There's a thread in here somewhere about gearing up - I think it was labeled safety gear. Had a bunch of recommendations compass, light, horn...who ever person #2 in your kayak is should know where and how to use the vhf too. I just went through that routine with my daughter couple weeks ago.
JB
ZeroSix

Post by ZeroSix »

I have a brand new never used Wheelez kayak cart collecting dust in my garage. I bought it last year while deployed and only took it out of the box when i packed up to come to Tampa. It was $119.00 plus tax and shipping. My intent is to place it here in the classified but just have not gotten around to it yet.

If you are interested in making an offer PM me.

Joe
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC
Urban Legend II

Post by Urban Legend II »

Thinking about getting a cart for my solo trips, but don't want it to end up in the garage as well. Just curious, why are you using it now? Your answer may help me decide whether I REALLY need one or if I am just addicted to buying stuff for my yak.
Hobie Pro Angler 14

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job"
DavidtheProducer

jbdba01 wrote:
DavidtheProducer wrote:Hey guys, do any of you know where I can buy a nice strap-on kayak cart for cheap? I need one after this last outing...

I built one a while ago for my canoe and found out that the savings we're not that great.

You may want to look at the p-f-com sponsors and "keep it in the family".

That said, in general

ebay + hammersnipe + trolling for 1-2 weeks = good deal

However, you have to be patient and you'll lose some auctions

You're on your on your own for quality. I have a metal one and a pvc one - I like the metal one more. It collapses, is lighter, easier to store, and has a stand to help mounting the canoe/kayak.

Sounds like you're gearing up the new kayak. If you don't have a good VHF radio, I would get that first. Handheld, floating. There's a thread in here somewhere about gearing up - I think it was labeled safety gear. Had a bunch of recommendations compass, light, horn...who ever person #2 in your kayak is should know where and how to use the vhf too. I just went through that routine with my daughter couple weeks ago.

Thanks for the advice. That's a very good point. I am now looking for a VHF radio. Do you know where I can get a cheap used portable one at?

...I guess they were right about how you always need to spend more money...lol
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

DavidtheProducer wrote:
Thanks for the advice. That's a very good point. I am now looking for a VHF radio. Do you know where I can get a cheap used portable one at?

...I guess they were right about how you always need to spend more money...lol
I'm the self-anointed king of being cheap, but I would go new on this item; the difference between new and used will be about $25-50. You don't want to find out that it has an antenna issue (or any other for that matter) the day you need it. New one is about $100. I bought mine off the internet (like 95% of my purchases).

I'm guessing that once you get all the safety stuff it'll be another $300-500. I tend to like fault tolerance so I tend to double up on items. (Horn and whistle, analog compass and gps, cell phone and vhf).
JB
DavidtheProducer

Thinking about getting a cart for my solo trips, but don't want it to end up in the garage as well. Just curious, why are you using it now? Your answer may help me decide whether I REALLY need one or if I am just addicted to buying stuff for my KAYAK.
I need it cause its really hard to carry when I'm by myself...I tried the other day and woke up really hurting the next day
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Better to have it and not need it...
Please, call me Kate