Tethering my kayak.

Kayakpirate

Tethering my kayak.

Post by Kayakpirate »

Back in December I was nearly tossed from my kayak by a Manatee. Scarred the crap out of me realizing after the fact I drove up on a sleeping Manatee just before sunrise. Hung on for dear life soaked head to toe then came to grip just how close I almost got separated from my kayak crossing a channel.

So on that note ….. I was looking for an inexpensive means to tether my kayak without feeling restricted. I found a 48” bungee cable with two carabiner clips on each end from Lowe’s. I purchased two for only $3.99 each. I connect them both together then attach one to my PFD the other end to my kayak.
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.
DavidtheProducer

Post by DavidtheProducer »

What does that mean? Sorry, I just bought my first kayak last weekend so I don't know a lot about tricking it out yet...
dunfly

Re: Tethering my kayak.

Post by dunfly »

Just make sure you have some way to unhook quickly in case you get tangled up in the tether. I carry a knife cliped to my life jacket, but the carabiners should work OK. You could also use the same tether to hook to the front of the kayak as a tether when you are wading. If they are the aluminum type carabiners, the only problem I see is that the springs are likely to rust out in short order. Personally, I don't like the idea of being tied to the kayak.

:kayakroll:
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Urban Legend II

Post by Urban Legend II »

I am also not a big fan of being tied to my kayak, but you have to make the call based on each situation. For example, I fish mostly in Mosquito Lagoon and rarely is the water depth more than 18 – 30 inches so I don't feel too threatened about getting flipped out of the yak, but if I were off a beach or in a deep channel somewhere that would be different.
If anyone decides that the tether is a requirement, may I also suggest a strap cutter versus a knife, like those used to cut seat belt straps. They pose no danger if attached to your PFD since the sharp edge is protected until you are ready to use it.
Here is what they might look like.

http://www.gcswarrior.com/Gerber_Seat_B ... cutter.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hobie Pro Angler 14

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job"
Evan

Post by Evan »

I've seen more experienced kayakers recommend tethering before, but have never understood it myself. Just seems like it could cause more problems than it might solve. If I ever fell out of my kayak, the last thing I would want to contend with is a tangled line from me to the boat.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Rik

Post by Rik »

Well, if you were in deep water and the breeze was blowing, you might be very thankful for that tether. I've chased my kayak across a 2 foot deep flat. The only thing that allowed me to catch it was when the breeze died for a couple seconds.

The only time I tether while fishing is when offshore. Tipping over out there is quite a bit different when you consider what circumstances would cause the tip.

I do understand there is the potential downside of entanglement. The upside of entanglement is that it would pull the kayak closer.....
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Surfboard Leash
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Rik

Post by Rik »

Mine is a simple 3/16 inch line tied to my bow handle. The line is about 12 feet long but doubled back with a barrel knot so I can adjust the length from 6 to 12 feet. The clip is a brass swivel trigger snap.

It's primary purpose is my wade line. I've never been a fan of the anchor trolley doubling as a wade line. They never pull the kayak from the bow, they are always off kilter. Plus, the separate wade line comes in handy to tie off to mangroves, docks, etc.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Rik wrote:Well, if you were in deep water and the breeze was blowing, you might be very thankful for that tether. I've chased my kayak across a 2 foot deep flat. The only thing that allowed me to catch it was when the breeze died for a couple seconds.

The only time I tether while fishing is when offshore. Tipping over out there is quite a bit different when you consider what circumstances would cause the tip.

I do understand there is the potential downside of entanglement. The upside of entanglement is that it would pull the kayak closer.....
This is a good spot for a tether to your paddle as opposed to yourself. The paddle will act as a sea anchor and slow its drift in a breeze.
Credo quia absurdum
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

When in deeper water I like tying my tether to my PFD. If I should get tangled up at least i'm next to my kayak. I can then grasp the kayak undo my PFD, untangle myself and redeploy the PFD. As long as your still attached to the kayak :Stop . Breathe. Assess the situation. realize your fine and handle it. Your paddle buddy should be there to help you because if your offshore with out some else- well that was your first mistake.
0 0 1
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

I simply use a 20 foot length of inner core anchor trolley rope either 1/8th or 1/4 inch diameter with stainless carabiners on each end. One hooked to the bow handle and one hooked to my belt in the back. This gives you plenty of room to wade and pull the kayak and also cast without getting a hook embedded in another rod. It also gives you plenty of line so if you do go over, you don't get a choke hold immediately on any part of your body disabling your movement in the water. I've used this method for many years and all I do is hook it on before I leave the launch and unhook when I get back. I've been rolled rather violently in the past and it worked like a charm.
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

kneedeep wrote:I simply use a 20 foot length of inner core anchor trolley rope either 1/8th or 1/4 inch diameter with stainless carabiners on each end. One hooked to the bow handle and one hooked to my belt in the back. This gives you plenty of room to wade and pull the kayak and also cast without getting a hook embedded in another rod. It also gives you plenty of line so if you do go over, you don't get a choke hold immediately on any part of your body disabling your movement in the water. I've used this method for many years and all I do is hook it on before I leave the launch and unhook when I get back. I've been rolled rather violently in the past and it worked like a charm.
X2........If you stand in your Kayak or Canoe it is foolish not to be tethered to the vessel..... one sudden stop and you are in the Drink.....Like KneeDeep it is just habit as well as tethering my Paddle.......Just Common Sense.......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

FlatsSteeler wrote:
kneedeep wrote:I simply use a 20 foot length of inner core anchor trolley rope either 1/8th or 1/4 inch diameter with stainless carabiners on each end. One hooked to the bow handle and one hooked to my belt in the back. This gives you plenty of room to wade and pull the kayak and also cast without getting a hook embedded in another rod. It also gives you plenty of line so if you do go over, you don't get a choke hold immediately on any part of your body disabling your movement in the water. I've used this method for many years and all I do is hook it on before I leave the launch and unhook when I get back. I've been rolled rather violently in the past and it worked like a charm.
X2........If you stand in your Kayak or Canoe it is foolish not to be tethered to the vessel..... one sudden stop and you are in the Drink.....Like KneeDeep it is just habit as well as tethering my Paddle.......Just Common Sense.......

...And Your Rods!! :thumbright: :thumbright:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

This has been a really interesting post. I am a senior citizen and really never gave it a thought should I get tipped off the kayak. A lot of interesting thoughts on here about this safety issue.
But I think the most important one is DON'T GO KAYAKING ALONE. I know there are times when your bud is quite aways from you and the time it would take for him/her to reach you or your kayak may be too much, too far to travel the distance. I carry a VHF radio with me and it is usually clipped to my PFD. That is just in case I need to call for help. That is rule 2 for me.

Now, tethering to my kayak is usually only done when I get out of the kayak to wade, walkk or take a rest break..

So fellow kayakers out there 1) Take a buddy along and stay near each other 2) carry a radio (cell phone for backup.. cause the emergency folks are on land and you are stuck in the water. USCG or other boaters are available to help you there. 3) Look out for each other even if you don't know them.

If it comes down to saving yourself or your kayak... YOU are more important. The kayak is replaceable.

Just my nickle's worth... :-B
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

When it comes down to it, the kayak is the best PFD you have out there. Even if it's completely full of water, (Hard to do with a SOT) it will Never sink. It's also a REALLY nice target for a Helicopter to see, so why chance getting seperated from it? Especially since the first aid kit, water, gps, cell phone, protein bars and self protection device are all tucked neatly away in dry bags that are also connected to the kayak.. :cool:
<SDFT><{