Microwave guide

pbr

Re: Microwave guide

Post by pbr »

Right on Jim, I had the Fugi micro guide system on my custom rods by Phinla, with the Microwave guide the cast is MUCH smoother, longer, and more accurate, I already had #6 guides and never had a problem at all with triple surgeon leader knot.

Also for you Wavespin fans :lol: Here is some info on new models, sealed stainless steel bearings for better saltwater performance
http://www.wavespinreel.com/latest-news.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Have either one of you seen the Castaway rod? With "Micro Guides"? No way your getting anything bigger than 15 lb leader through the top guide.

Just another fad.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
pbr

Post by pbr »

Fact is you dont have to go that small, they mention the fact that they dont plan on bringing the knot through on theirs. The only guides Microwave supplies is the first double guide and the one following it, its up to the rod builder how small after that. The results are still there, try it before you call it a fad.
TampaJim

Post by TampaJim »

Heywood wrote:Have either one of you seen the Castaway rod? With "Micro Guides"? No way your getting anything bigger than 15 lb leader through the top guide.

Just another fad.
I have cast one, plenty of times ... they DO work. They are in production at Castaway and being used by some custom builders. Again, the concept is not new - but it has been recently commercialized.

Here's a photo of the predecessor to the Microwave - a double guide setup done by a friend, Tom Kirkman, over 2 years ago.

It has probably been 5 years since we, a group of mad rod scientists, used high speed photography to figure out the oscillation patterns of a line being cast AND started to work "taming" it to gain distance (via reduced friction). The photos, and subsequent effect, was first discussed in a meeting in Tennessee and things went from there.

Here's a closeup of a Microwave guide in action.

As to "micro" guides. Custom builders have been using them for almost two decades. We use REALLY small ones when we are trying to increase casting distance, reduce rod weight, restore natural action to a blank, etc. Here's a photo of a "micro" inside of a normal #6 guide (most saltwater rods use #7 guides).

Better yet, here's a few micro guides on a dime to give perspective to the whole thing.

As to your question about line passing through a "micro" guide. Here's a CAD representation of 12# monofilament or 50# braid passing through the ID of a #3 guide. Line is a LOT smaller than you think it is.

As to "micro" guides, or "tamer" technology being fads ... not a chance, they are FAR too large of an improvement over existing technology for many applications. About 15 years ago, we heard the same thing about the New Guide Concept which Fuji later adapted. About 10 years ago, we heard the same thing about "split butt" grips. Five years ago, it was all about composite cork materials. ALL of them exist today in commercially-built rods.

Kistler already offers "micro" guides, the same for Duckett and E21 (Carrot Stix). St Croix will be releasing rods using the Fuji "K" series tangle-free "micros" in the near future.

End of story ... these technologies work. Are they for everyone? Absolutely not. Are they for every application? Not a chance. Will you see more of them? You bet.
pbr

Post by pbr »

Thanks Jim, nice to hear some facts from a REAL expert. :thumbright:
TampaJim

Post by TampaJim »

Here's a cut and paste from an article written by a friend, Alex Dziengielewski, an accomplished B.A.S.S. tournament angler AND custom rod builder. IMO, he did one of the better jobs of laying out the facts about the "micro" guide system.

Micro Guides – What, Where, When?

A new approach to fishing rod guide trains appeared at ICAST 2009 (on a mass level). Since then “New” micro guides have appeared on no less than 5 major rod manufacturer product lines. Micro guides are generating great interest in the angling community regarding what “micros” are and the details about them. Let’s examine micro guides – the history, advantages, disadvantages, and beyond!

A guide having a ring size smaller than 5 is considered to be a micro guide. This may not mean much to the average angler. The average single foot guide on the tip section of most production rods is a size 6 (left side of photo below). The smallest micro guides go down to a size 2. This size is a measure of diameter in millimeters. Imagine this - you can fit FOURTEEN size 3 micro guides on the head of dime (right side of photo)!

Guide Size Comparison
Micro guides have been in existence quite some time. Fuji has been producing very small guides for squid fishing in Japan for several years. Very small guides have also been used in Europe on match rods for a longer period of time. While they are new in the US market, they are not new to other parts of the world.

Credit goes to custom rod builders for first bringing these to bass rods, creating a demand for them, and then pushing manufacturers and distributors to create options available in the US market for use on freshwater and inshore rods. Since 2007, many custom rod builders have been successfully using micro guides on rods used to flip and pitch all the way to drop shotting and other spinning rods. Don’t be fooled by the smaller stature. These are some tough little guides!

Micro guides have their share of advantages and disadvantages. The advantages include, but are not limited to:

Increased sensitivity by less add weight to the rod blank
Increased sensitivity by less added build weight (less rod finish and thread)
Increased line control
Increased casting distance by reducing the amount of line slap through the guides
Increased durability by providing a smaller lever for bending
Smaller “footprint” on the blank - this decreases the amount of influence on the rod blank’s natural flex
Fewer wind knots
Less tangles on deck and in rods lockers
Easier entry into rod lockers and tubes

Disadvantages include:

Can clog easier with dirty water (cottonwood blooms, heavy slime in water, etc)
Can ice over easier in sub 32 deg F environments
Smaller sizes may have trouble passing knots between main line and leader
Larger sized micros (5s, 4.5s, 4s) may be needed for larger diameter fishing line (ex. 25# monofilament)
Availability – there are still some limitations in variety but this issue is quickly disappearing
Lines with lots of memory (old mono) may not perform well
Micro guides are not for every angler or every rod. As with any rod selection, the buyer needs to be aware of what is available and how it will help or hinder his or her abilities on water. The greatest thing is that micros are a "new" option that really does impact rod performance.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Line yes, knots no.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
TampaJim

Post by TampaJim »

Heywood wrote:Line yes, knots no.
3mm Fuji Alconite guide, 15# braided line, 20# fluorocarbon leader, nail knot splice.

This isn't my cleanest knot ever AND it would normally be "finished" with a product called Knot Sense by Loon - a UV activated sealant which not only holds the knot (like super glue) but forms a slick protective coating which causes the surface to be smoother and even less likely to catch passing through guides.

My intent is to show a nasty "field grade" knot which isn't anything special. Rough ends and all, it still clearly passes through the ceramic center with TONS of room to spare. That knot is dead center within the eye - I taped it into position for the photograph.

The new Fuji "K" series tangle-free guides are sloped forward and MUCH less likely to catch a knot than a traditional running guide.

Of course, I would never recommend bringing your leader knot into the guide train ... no reason to do so. However, IF a person were so inclined, "micro" guides aren't going to prohibit such behavior.

TJ -
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

I made a few casts with PBR's wave spin and mircowave guide pole on Saturday. It was smooth :cheers: :cheers:

Love or Hate......Maybe it is Love to Hate.....whatever your into - the Mirco guides work well
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
pbr

Post by pbr »

Thanks again Jim for the explanation, obviously leader knots, not a problem. :salute:
aquaholik

Post by aquaholik »

My question is, if the wavespin reel eliminates wind knots, why do you need a rod with microwave guide?

I buy the microwave guide theory because I've seen and used Fuji lowrider guides made by Phinla.

BTW, Phinla builds fantastic custom rod.
pbr

Post by pbr »

The Microwave guide makes casting smoother, longer, and more accurate. Micro guides by Fuji is just a smaller guide system. The Microwave guide allows you to go to even smaller guides than Fuji recommends. Smaller guides equal less weight better rod bending characteristics and longer casts. I think the Microwave guide helps with wind knots for other reels since it reduces occillations. While the Wavespin eliminates wind knots (When it is assembled correctly), I think it too helps you to cast further because of reduced friction on the spool. It also has a great drag and is a light weight reel compared to others. Price aint bad either. I didnt try the Microwave guide because of anything it might do to help windknots, I wanted to see if it helped CASTING and it does. Get it?

P.S. both of my rods are by Phinla, he is coverting the guides over to the Microwave guide system, from the Fuji system that was on there.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

pbr wrote: and more accurate.
That is more the caster than the rod.

If you want to prove differently show up at the next PFTS, I will bring the hula hoop.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
pbr

Post by pbr »

Cant make the next one. The Microwave does help since the line is not oscillating as much, it could even help you! :lol:
TampaJim

Post by TampaJim »

pbr wrote:Cant make the next one. The Microwave does help since the line is not oscillating as much, it could even help you! :lol:
Right answer, wrong reason. The micros guides lend themselves to a more accurate rod being crafted.

Reason = Less weight on the upper section of the rod causes the blank to be more natural and less encumbered which creates a more accurate cast since the ROD is more stable and more capable of "staying the course" in the forward direction of the cast. There is less "side-to-side" oscillation of the blank itself, not the line. Obviously, the line is affected AFTER it leaves the rod, since it is being moved forward by the force of the weight which was propelled more accurately (lure or bait).

I hope that was clear ... I have been working since 5:30am.
pbr

Post by pbr »

Jim, the photo's show no oscillation of the line after the Microwave guide, where conventional guides there is plenty down the line. My accuracy improved without changing any guides but the first and second from the bottom. These are the only two guides they send when you order.