Microwave guide

Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: Microwave guide

Post by Todd »

Bring all the fancy, new fangled equipment you want and in the end the person casting the rod will be the difference in accuracy not the equipment. Very similar to golf.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

Todd wrote:Bring all the fancy, new fangled equipment you want and in the end the person casting the rod will be the difference in accuracy not the equipment. Very similar to golf.
The current PFTS Casting Champion agrees with that statement.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

Golf Sucks - at least it keep those guys busy all day on the golf course intead of fishing

I'm not really into expensive fishing equipment. A 25oz Paddle is most important than high end fishing gear. But saying that I will say that my G-Loomis Rod is Sweet :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

PBR time to start a new topic - I have grow bored with this one :joker: :cheers:
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
pbr

Post by pbr »

Todd wrote:Bring all the fancy, new fangled equipment you want and in the end the person casting the rod will be the difference in accuracy not the equipment. Very similar to golf.
So let me get this right you, are saying equipment dosent matter in sports? New technology in golf clubs havent made a difference? Then I assume you are still playing with wooden shafts? :scratch: I think even Tiger Woods would disagree with that statement.
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

I doubt Tigger jumps at every gimmick that comes along.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
Rik

Post by Rik »

pbr wrote: New technology in golf clubs haven't made a difference?
For those that know how to use them, yes, it makes a difference. However, those guys likely did pretty well with the old stuff.

I caught a lot of fish the other day on good old bucktail jigs. Hard to get more old tech than that in lures. Okay, I'm sure there is plenty of artificial hooks made out of bones that worked but you get my point.

For a fisherman to be successful, especially an artificial lure fisherman, he has to know how to find fish and entice them to bite. You can have the latest and greatest, gee whiz, super tech stuff but if you can't find them and can't entice them to bite, you're going home just as empty handed as the guy with the 50 year old equipment. Yes, your arm may not be quite as tired and maybe your casts went 25 feet further but the end result was the same.

Or, just maybe, you're going home empty handed when the guy with the 50 year old stuff has caught his limit plus but took just what is legally allowed for dinner because, despite his equipment, he knows how to find fish and entice them to bite.

Something I failed miserably at this past weekend............

Now, can we go on to something else?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
pbr

Post by pbr »

What I dont get is the cynical viewpoint from some on the board, that every new idea is written off as a gimmick and useless, without even trying it. Clearly some like me are more interested in gear than others, but the logic that if something worked in the past, it cant be improved on, is pretty short sighted.
pbr

Post by pbr »

Maybe this will help: http://www.scienceclarified.com/dispute ... ports.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rik

Post by Rik »

pbr wrote:but the logic that if something worked in the past, it cant be improved on, is pretty short sighted.
I would agree with that.

My point was that having the absolute best equipment does not make you catch more fish. It might make you more effective if you already have the other knowledge of how to find them and how to entice first.

And, yes, Pat you are a gadget guy. I appreciate that you'll jump in and be the guinea pig on some of this stuff.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

pbr wrote:So let me get this right you, are saying equipment dosent matter in sports? New technology in golf clubs havent made a difference? Then I assume you are still playing with wooden shafts? :scratch: I think even Tiger Woods would disagree with that statement.
Never said that, I said the person casting the rod matters more.

Give me the best golf clubs in the world and Tiger could still beat me using wooden shafts, he has a better swing.
pbr

Post by pbr »

Todd, and your point was? I am not a "gadget guy" I am into technology and good gear. Product development is what I have done in my career so it comes naturally to me. This thread was not started to discuss whether somone with more talent and experience can outperform better equipment (duh?) or argue if this equipment would make you a better fisherman, it was started to present a new product that I thought had merit.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I am not doubting the merit of the new product, to me the microwave guides make total sense. I tried it at the last PFTS and it was a great rod/reel combo for sure.

The only thing I am doubting is your statement that the usage of the microwave guides makes the combo more accurate. I just cannot see how the usage of micrwave guides makes it "more accurate", further distance sure, less wind knots sure, more accurate no way. IMHO accuracy is more the caster than the combo used. To prove that I will put my $$ up against yours in an accuracy casting contest, you use your rod/reel and I will use my 5 yr old Gloomis set up. Are you up for it or are you going to run away like you did in the crocs bet I threw out a year ago? :lol: :lol:
pbr

Post by pbr »

I will be out of town, otherwise I would be more than happy to compete with you even though you probably have a lot more experience. I found it to be more accurate, because it went where I was looking much more than before. I can only attribute this to the microwave guide.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

pbr wrote:I will be out of town, otherwise I would be more than happy to compete with you even though you probably have a lot more experience.
pbr wrote:So let me get this right you, are saying equipment dosent matter in sports?
pbr

Post by pbr »

Todd, you just dont seem to get it. So let me put it in these terms, "For people of equal experience and ability, equipment CAN make the difference". It can make accuracy easier. However I still think I could beat you at well.....almost anything :lol: Bring your hulu hoop anytime.
Last edited by pbr on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Good God when will this thing DIE?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.