Flamingo in April

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
Keith B

Re: Flamingo in April

Post by Keith B »

thanks.
To change the subject a little bit, what type of tackle should I bring? I will have the 8wt and spinning outfit, but what flies and soft plastics/lures should I bring along?
Thanks guys.
I guess I will have my buddy that lives down there go get the permits the day before we get into town, I would hate to be left out after driving from Atlanta.
TK

Post by TK »

The bugs (skeeters) will not be too bad in April. The no seeums are a different story, they are hard to predict. For your first shot at camping in the glades, do the beaches near the cape. You can move around easier to get yourself into the wind and get the bugs off.

Plastics - paddle tails, jerk baits, slugs - what ever you are comfortable throwing will work.
Hard baits - whatever crank baits you like - just bring something for each part of the water column (top water, suspending, diving etc).

You can also camp at the campground and paddle to different places from there
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Thank you for your post I will add that info to the others i have read and be sure to have something for all parts of the column.
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I think we have decided to camp at Flamingo and simply paddle out from there each day, as opposed to bringing a boat and shuttle out to a remote location, for this first time anyway.
Thanks for all of the help with this trip. I certainly appreciate it, and you have made it a lot easier on me and brought me up to speed and shortened the learning curve. I hope with all of your advice I am not a complete noob when I get there.
Keith
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

There are no tarpon in the channel that runs in front of the campground. Just sayin. :banana:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Well I will definitely not look for any of them then :thumbleft:
TK

Post by TK »

And they definitely don't like the sinking DOA Baitbusters.
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I will get a report up soon but let me say this, skeeters don't bite in 20-25 knot winds!!