Redbone rods

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Redbone rods

Post by DaveR »

My 10 year history with them is perfect. Perfect in that I have never owned one that hasn't broken. Don't remember if it was 4 or 5. In fact the one that broke the other day was broken by the first fish caught on it and it was a replacement for a previously broken rod.
I'm not careless and can't remember breaking any St. Croixs or custom rods built by Noles.
Ain't scientific by IMHO they just plain suck.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Redbone rods

Post by krash »

I must have a better luck, maybe take better care, but I have 4 of them, my son has another 2, they've caught hundreds of fish from Bass in the glades to Redfish in the lagoon.. only 1 I ever broke and that was my fault, braid wrapped around it, I reached up and tried to stretch a bit farther than I should and snapped the tip off in my hand.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Rik

Redbone rods

Post by Rik »

My redbone redfish rod had been thru thick and thin. My heavy Redbone rod is an experiment every time I use it. I've seen so many heavy Redbones break I just expect mine to break when ever it is hooked up. I'd have no problem buying a redfish sized Redbone but would never again buy a heavy Redbone.

And, damn it, my back up heavy rod is the Redbone. Wish I could trust it right now.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

I have 4 only broke 1. That was the light one. Never tried the heavy one though. I am skeptical now....
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Have you mailed any back for replacement? My replaced 7'6" set me back about $16 total. Not sure how old yours are but perhaps emailing the manufacturer is worth a shot.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Oh I get em replaced but I'm so leary of the big rod I may see if they will replace it with a flats rod. It just doesn't stand up to tarpon fishing.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Bigfish171
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Bigfish171 »

I have two Redbone 7' offshore spinning rods that I've been using for 12-15 years. Spooled with 50lb braid, they've winched many a grouper from it's lair, and caught more tarpon than I care to count. Probably been jammed onto the ceiling a time or two also.

The guides suffered from normal wear, tear & aging, but the rods have never wimpered.

Maybe the manufacturing process was different at the time mine were purchased, or possibly the angle is different when seated in a kayak as opposed to standing in a boat, where mine have seen their use.

No doubt there are better rods out there, but I have no complaints about the two I have.
Dave
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

Hum...

I have been wanting to pick one up but now im not sure.
Rik

Post by Rik »

I've never seen a flats Redbone break. Very nice mid price rod.Had mine for many years.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

Rik wrote:I've never seen a flats Redbone break. Very nice mid price rod.Had mine for many years.

I was thinking a good flats rod, that or the wright and mcgill blue rod. Might just have to get both while I still have my discount at sports authority
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

bigguy wrote:
Rik wrote:I've never seen a flats Redbone break. Very nice mid price rod.Had mine for many years.

I was thinking a good flats rod, that or the wright and mcgill blue rod. Might just have to get both while I still have my discount at sports authority
My thoughts here
JB
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I have several medium light redbone rods and they have performed great for many years, no problems. I have heard over the years problems with the heavier redbone models so I have stayed away from them.

Persoanlly I hate the blue color on the W & M rods.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

jbdba01 wrote:
bigguy wrote:

My thoughts here
Reading that is what made me look a them.
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

Todd wrote:I have several medium light redbone rods and they have performed great for many years, no problems. I have heard over the years problems with the heavier redbone models so I have stayed away from them.

Persoanlly I hate the blue color on the W & M rods.
I am color deficient and don't see colors right anyways, so I am not bothered by it at all.

I think it will come down to what is in stock when I'm ready to buy.
SnookBait

Post by SnookBait »

I had a medium 7ft rod break multiple times. My heavy redbone has performed pretty good on snook for the past 3 years and 1 smaller tarpon(which I thought would break it). IMO if you are getting into fishing and want a fairly good priced rod then get a Redbone but if you can spend a little more there are much better options.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I have a 6'6" medium light rod, had it for 10 years still fish with it, have caught reds over 30'' on it, no problem.

I have heard nothing but bad stories about the W&M rods, lots of breakages.

Personally I think Falcon and St. Croix are hard to beat, but my.absolute favorite rod is a G Loomis Custom, that rod has spoilt me, I think I will find it hard to buy another off the shelf rod.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton