Gatlinburg TN Fishing info needed

tspag

Gatlinburg TN Fishing info needed

Post by tspag »

I'm heading up to Gatlinburg TN and would like to know if anyone could suggest some fishing locations. I will be taking three Kayaks with me to do some fishing with my two Sons.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: Gatlinburg TN Fishing info needed

Post by jbdba01 »

I'm assuming that since you will have three kayaks you're driving. If that's the case you'll probably be heading through some of the best trout fishing in the south. The North GA Mountains. So this may or may not be what your looking for, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

Trout fishing in GA is a specialized type of fishing - picture fishing a mangrove tunnel wading in rushing water where the water could be 6"-3' deep 2'-6' wide. It opens up occasionally to large deep holes (6-7'). On some streams you are rewarded with a huge cascading waterfall at the end with huge pools of water. Then when you hook into something "big" you may find yourself chasing the fish downstream. Frankly it's like bonefishing - they are very spooky but I seldom was in deep with them.

The photos below give a feel for what I'm referring to. There was a period there where I went waterfall "chasing". Frankly you may want to find a spot to hike and just enjoy the scenery.

Here's a link to find some trout fishing - my suggestions:

Dukes Creek - you can camp there too
Waters Creek - bunch of stupid rednecks went dynamite fishing and messed things up a while ago

Lastly - you may want to consider some white water rafting (no kayaks). It's a hoot and you can do some easy rapids (Ocoee River) or more challenging stuff (Bull's Run - class 5). With two boys it'll be an E ticket ride at Bulls run. I think I was tossed out 4-5 times, but I would do it again. Whichever one you want to punish more, put in the bow.

Well...enough of the GA tourism board.

Ocoee River

Bull's Run
JB
Bigfish171
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Bigfish171 »

I highly recommend the Smoky Mountain Angler store in downtown Gatlinburg. Although I usually go for the hiking, the guys in the store have always been very forthcoming with area tips & advice.
Dave
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Bigfish171 wrote:I highly recommend the Smoky Mountain Angler store in downtown Gatlinburg. Although I usually go for the hiking, the guys in the store have always been very forthcoming with area tips & advice.
X2, very nice people in the store. The little plaza where the store is has everything you need (Smokey Mountain Angler, Dominoes Pizza, Flapjacks Pancake Cabin, the Jelly Factory and a winery :D ). If you go to their on-line photo album, the first picture is my son with a Rainbow he caught on the Little Pigeon River in the Greenbrier area of the GSM park.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Chief1600 wrote: If you go to their on-line photo album, the first picture is my son with a Rainbow he caught ...
Fine lookin' young man and nice fish to boot! :)
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:Fiine lookin' young man and nice fish to boot! :)
He says the same thing :lol:
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Post by r3krobert »

The area is best known for trout fishing. Most of the streams are best for wading rather than kayaking. Consider waders if you go that route as the water is cold.