10 years ago

bassboy

10 years ago

Post by bassboy »

With all the fishing going on today i was thinking about what happened 10 yrs ago It was the yr my daughter Alli was born and i was at the Teco plant in Hardee county when all hell broke loose on our country. It is day that we will remember for a long time my concern was getting to my family as quick as possible unfortunately they were traveling down alligator alley back from Lauderdale. Let just say that my little saturn never saw 100 plus mph until that day your probably wondering where im going with this if you remember where ur were on 9/11 feel free to post it but what im saying is that for every last Army,Navy,Marine,Air Force,Police,Fire Fighters and so forth: I SAY THANK YOU from me and my family and for all you veterans out there i say thank you my father is a Navy vietnam veteran and i thank him all the time. I know this just me typing but Heywood had flag on his boat today and thats what got me to thinkin why i was on the water. I know people will look at this post and just be like "Whatever" thats fine but take a minute or 2 tomorrow and pause and say a prayer for all the family that lost loved one on that day or just take a moment of silence. God Bless and Have a good day
C
TerryW

Re: 10 years ago

Post by TerryW »

I didn't leave my TV for weeks. I actually was talking to my son that morning. He was attending college in Oberlin, OH at the time and was working at a radio station. Look up Oberlin and you will find that they are the air traffic control center for that whole area. My son asked me if I knew of a plane that was off course, heading over Cleveland. At the time, I said "no." That was Flight 93.

Those people on Flight 93 and all of the first responders are my heroes. When I found out that the Flight 93 Memorial Fund was well short of funds, I decided that making a donation to their fund was the way I'd personally commemorate that horrible day.
(http://www.honorflight93.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Ten years later it is still hard for me to wrap my brain around the fact that it actually happened.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

I was on my way to meet Suzie for breakfast as she was getting off her 24 hour shift. Usually her shift ended at 8:00 but had a late call It was already a tough time as I’d been laid off from a job I had for 13 years the day before (Sept. 10). We were going to meet in Ellenton so I was waiting for her at the K-Mart plaza, listening to the radio. They were talking about President Bush in Sarasota when the news broke about the 1st plane hitting the WTC. I started changing radio stations trying to get more information, then had this terrible feeling of what was really going on when they were interviewing someone who lived across town in a high rise apartment. He saw the second plane hit while looking out his window during the interview.
At that point I drove to Suzie’s station to see if she was back from the call, she wasn’t. I sat at the station and watched it happen, on live TV. When she did get back, all we could do was hug each other as it unfolded. We watched people die, we watched how other people came together in that time. Didn’t matter what color you were, what your politics were, we were all Americans. I remember how strange it felt, lying bed that night, after all air traffic had been grounded, hearing jets flying over the house, knowing it was our Military on the job.

2819 – Official number killed in the attacks

343 - Fire Fighters, Paramedics and Police Officers killed at the World Trade Center

That first number would have been higher but for the sacrifices made by those in the second group.
Today is a day for us all to come back together as Americans, not as any particular political party, race, nationality, religion or anything else, just Americans.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

I flew an even bigger flag today. :wink:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Another day that "will live in infamy" I willnever forget 9/11/01

Security was real tight yesterday in Detroit as I flew back to TIA. Had my first full body scan and pat down..painless
Terry said they were checking ALL cars in the outbound passenger lanes.
Kudos to the TSA and other agencies for keeping us safe when we fly :salute:

Thanks for the flight 93 link TW
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club