Hobie Pro Angler Rod Holder / Push Pole Holder

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
DouGR81

Hobie Pro Angler Rod Holder / Push Pole Holder

Post by DouGR81 »

These days the majority of the fishing I do from the Pro Angler involves sightfishing. To me, there is nothing more rewarding than quietly poling along a flat and sneaking up on a fish that doesn't know you're there. Sightfishing is also very practical in that standing up gives you increased visibility, especially in clear water or over light colored bottom. I've noticed that when I spot a fish while poling, I have to take my eyes off the fish for a few seconds to lay down my push pole and grab the fishing rod. I can recall a few trips to the Keys earlier this year where I lost sight of a permit during these few seconds. So to eliminate this problem and reduce the time it takes to make a cast, I created a rod and push pole holder out of schedule 40 PVC that sits inside the sail mast mount. I originally got this idea from "Bearsfan" but modified it to fit my needs.

PVC Used
1" PVC Pipe
1" to 1.5" Tee (2)
1" Tee (1)
1" 90 Degree (4)
1" 45 Degree (2)
1" Cross (1)
1/2" PVC Pipe
1/2" 90 Degree (1)
1/2" Tee (1)
1/2" Endcap (2)
1/2" to 1" Coupler (1)

I used duct tape to form an indentation so that the rods won't slide across the PVC. I wrapped a tapered section of electrical tape around the 1/2" PVC pipe that goes into the sail mast mount so that the fit is snug. I added a piece of Seadek (closed cell foam) where the push pole sits to eliminate sliding. I also use the bungees from the front hatch to prevent rotation and add stability.

After a few trips to find the optimal dimensions, here is the final version...

Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis
ZeroSix

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rod Holder / Push Pole Holder

Post by ZeroSix »

Doug -

Excellent idea! I have a couple of designs on napkins but just have not been in the country enough to put the idea to use. It was nothing as nice as what you have pictured but the same general idea. I did not think of the push pole holder as I have a hook on my belt (something I picked up from Heywood) but will probably work one in now that you have "shown me the light"! The only thing different on my idea was that I was thinking about using pool noodles in order hold the rods in place verses duct tape as to prevent the sticky residue when it gets hot.

Great idea though my friend - thank you for sharing!

Joe
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC
seeinred

Re: Hobie Pro Angler Rod Holder / Push Pole Holder

Post by seeinred »

That's pretty slick, Doug!

Whenever poling and looking for fish, I run into the problem of what to do with my pushpole and how to pick my rod up without taking my eye off the fish. Can't tell you how many times I've reached down or behind me to grabbed my rod only to look up and not be able to find the fish again.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer