Hillsborough River 11/26/2011

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
Pirogue

Hillsborough River 11/26/2011

Post by Pirogue »

I launched a little after 7am from the Fowler ramp. To my right was a fish busting some bait under the cypress. After about a 1/2 mile paddle, I tied on a white #8 spook and started fishing. In all I caught about 7 bluegill and missed a few more.

Ya know, I have caught most of the major species of fish in Florida. Gotten the sail, tarpon, snook, dolphin, bass, pickerel, etc (but the bonefish still eludes). Yet, I have a special place in my heart for bluegill on fly rod. It is odd considering I learned how to fly fish relativity late in life. But I am hooked.

I don't know what it is. When I fish in the brine, I feel like I am preparing for battle. But when in the sweet, it is a relaxing trip. This morning was nice. I just sat back, hung my feet in the water and worked the shoreline with a popper. Some strikes were gentle, others, relatively speaking were violent, and others, the strike was non existent as the popper was just pulled under.

So, here are my pictures as fodder for ridicule. But I will have to say it was a good trip.

It was a good morning on the water.

1 3 12 120 3000
bassboy

Re: Hillsborough River 11/26/2011

Post by bassboy »

nicely done there Tom.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Tom those are some nice titty brims.......I would love to join you some day for sweet water fishing.....I too love the relaxation of brim fishing......I actually like to use a brim buster instead of a fly rig....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I just bought myself a new custom built 4 piece 4Wt and reel for some blugilling.

My canoe is under construction, but I'd love to join you some time Tom, once it's ready to go, if you don't mind the use of a trolling motor.

Like you I love the peace and tranquility if freshwater fly fishing, it is a lovely way to fish.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

Well, it looks like I got a hall pass for the morning and may give it a go again Saturday. I won't be able to stay late since I have a volleyball club meeting around noon.

I may also try to tie up some Myakka Minnows since time ran out on me this past week. I just got my work bench cleared off Saturday afternoon and my garage is starting to resemble Eric's. (not by a long shot :roll: ). At least I can tie again.
1 3 12 120 3000
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

we need pics of this garage buddy.
BlueTuna

Post by BlueTuna »

I fish the same area when I just need to fish. I use an ultra light spinning rig...it's fun just to fish and not worry about chasing a specific type of fish
"There's no such word as can't" - Dad
David