12/26/2011 - CRB

Flamingo to Big Bend
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

12/26/2011 - CRB

Post by jbdba01 »

Well...it started out as a big mistake. I've never seen so many boats out at once on the bay. Mental note - skip CRB next year, but the weather was just too good to pass up.

I started out wading on the flats and landed a rat red, but I saw a huge swirl miss my 5" white paddle tail before. Seeing not too many people at Big Pass I headed over there - the closer I got the more it seemed the group of fellow kayakers seemed to get larger.

Here's Big Pass...reminded me of Boca; I had quasi beat the group pulled one flounder out and moved outta there.

I continued rigggin' it wrong with my Wright McGill rig and with a Easterly wind I just let the wind do it's thing; I looked for jumping mullet, and got on that line. After I while I opted to get some chow and drift some more. Course during that process I saw a disturbance in the water and I cast towards it. With a bigger fish (call it 24") on I managed to lose my lunch in the kayak and make a fine mess. Regardless it was a decent red.

So much for the ziti...

Fishing with the same rootbeer mullet, I kept fishing pot holes and managed to finally get a gator trout to the boat - call it 20", but not much more. That anchorline in the background would come to haunt me.

With several decent fish in the boat the winds picked up and hoped that I could pull out a snook to round out the day. I hit the groves and after a bit I found some moving water. I tossed out the gold Aquadream gold spoon and hooked up on what I thought was a good red. With the fish coming out of the water I quickly realized this was the snook I was hoping for - not huge, but in the 26-30" range. Drag being pulled towards the groves I grabbed hold of the spool and hoped I could pul her out. Successfully stopping her she opted to run for open water - I let her take drag, but she quickly decided to come back into the grove. I quickly found myself being pulled into the groves and opted to toss the anchor. The only problem was I was in 4' of water and with 4' of anchorline there was no slowing her down. By now I was in the trees as was she - about 1 ft from the barnacles. I tried again to hold the spool as she made another run for the roots, and just like that the gig was up. The 20# leader had frayed and broke. That's two snook that have schooled me this year.

Beaten, but not out, I put on another spoon (green) and pulled out the beast below.

The weather was awesome and fishing where people weren't seemed to be the ticket. With the year closing out I realized I would have been close to on par with Wonderboy's inshore slam, but it wasn't meant to be.
Last edited by jbdba01 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JB
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Re: 12/26/2011 - CRB

Post by SRQGator »

Colorful. When you first said "lost your lunch" I was thinking something else. I'm an expert in such matters you know.
1 1 12?
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

Those lizard fish are everywhere. It looked like a kayak convention out there.
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

There was a bunch of kayaks...I was kinda surprised that they all bunched up. I didn't even photo the power boats on the outside - couple tried to run to Big Pass but they ran aground. Couple fly fishing guys on the flats too. I think they were frustrated with all the folks.

I was pretty convinced I wouldn't catch anything, but the weather was so nice that frankly it didn't really matter.
JB
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

jbdba01 wrote: Image
WTF???? :shock: :scratch: :scratch:
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

Dude, that was me out there with davidt, chriswegeshide, and john. We were killing time til the water flooded the back country. I banged out 4 reds, 20 trout and a single flattie at that spot. Were you the guy with the harness on pulling your kayak?
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Yup...that was me; after I got in there I saw the crowd building and bailed.

It was a good day for sure - lots of boats; the powerboater making the run in and bottoming out was funny.
Last edited by jbdba01 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
JB
Rik

Post by Rik »

jbdba01 wrote: he powerboater making the run in and bottoming out was funny.
And disrespectful of the resource.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

not just one, but 2. It was kind of funny, but as rik said very disrespectful.
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-