A day on the flats in Sota.

Flamingo to Big Bend
DirksFishin

A day on the flats in Sota.

Post by DirksFishin »

So I've been off of work since last Thursday and don't go back till this coming Thursday. I've been taking the yak out and fished around the sota like I always do unless someone else is going to come with me.... (Bunch of p*%sies shaking off the hangover from the super bowl so I was going solo ) None the less the worst day fishing is better then any day of working.

I saw some dolphins right off the bat so I thought hell there goes the day! But it wasn't so bad since they were on one side of the flats and I was one the other divided by a sand bar. I tossed my Spook around for a bit and not a damn thing. It was just after eight o-clock so i figured ehhh maybe its a little late to be throwing the top water.

So I grabbed my other rod with the gold Exude on it and the 1/8 oz #2 mission fishin rig. I love the action of these things on the flats. I caught a smallish snook in about 6" of water another half hour goes by and I finally hooked up again with this fat trout. Usually I don't get excited to much over trout but this one was pissed and giving me a nice little run. It's the biggest trout I've ever caught so that was nice! 23"

The rest of day was a bunch of failed hook ups along with some ocassional wind gust.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g35 ... Snook1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g35 ... in/Me1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g35 ... Trout1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
Bigfish171
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Re: A day on the flats in Sota.

Post by Bigfish171 »

Nice day Derek. That's a fat trout!!
Dave
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

The water is really nice too.
Derek

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Nice crout!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Very nice trout. I don't see many that size SOTE.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Hooked77

Post by Hooked77 »

Seems you be stretchin that sucker to reach the 23" mark... push the lip to the 0 and get back with us.

Nice catch!
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

Yeah I noticed that lol! I'm a little more careful during the pfts.
Derek

John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Why even put them on a measuring board anyway, If you tell me you caught an 18" Snook or a 22" trout, I'll believe ya, I don't need to see pictures of them on a measuring board. The least handling of fish the better, especially Trout.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

So are you saying we shouldn't have the tourneys then? I can honestly say I've never had a fish go belly up after taking a pic of it on my board I always swish it around and they dart off. On top of all that I never keep any fish I'm all about conservation. I like to know on average what length the fish are I catch so I measure them and take a pic. I'm sure the fwc has them out of the water longer then I do when they measure and tag fish.
Derek

Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I carry my measuring board with me most of the time when I fish. I like to know what size the fish are that I am catching and I like to practice the process so that it goes more smoothly during the PFTS. I think we all agree that the less we hassle the fish the better off they will be. I try to handle the fish with a wet hand. I keep them in the water on the lip grip while I am getting the board and camera ready. Their time on the board is brief. I have never noted any fish in distress that I have released.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

No what I am saying is, that handling, placing a fish on a board for a photo, causes it more stress than simply releasing it.
If you're not in a tournament, why photograph it on a board?
If you say you caught fish, I'll believe you, as will everyone else, you don't have to prove it.

If you're taking the pic to prove you caught it, then a pic of it in the water works just as well and also makes a much better looking photo.

I guess I just don't understand the need to "practice" putting fish on a board.

I enjoy the fish for what it is, being measured precisely doesn't make it any better, if you need to gauge the length, measure your span from tip of thumb to tip of your Pinky finger, that measurement will never change, simply move your hand along the fish and do the math.

Just trying to offer some advice on fish handling and preservation.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Not to cause, get into, or rehash a Firestorm but I agree with John.......I rarely take pics of my fish unless it is something unique or my 1st of a species....and when I do it's never on a board just a quick pic and release.......Too each his own but being from the older generation pic taking just didn't happen......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Rik

Post by Rik »

IMO a 'smiling face' pic is a lot better then a measuring board pic.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Rik wrote:IMO a 'smiling face' pic is a lot better then a measuring board pic.
Agree that's what we are saying Rik regardless if the smile is from the Fish or the Fisher :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

John wrote: If you say you caught fish, I'll believe you, as will everyone else, you don't have to prove it.
I caught 5 Tarpon, 8 Snook and 43 Reds this last weekend.

fuzz

just skrewin wit ya Johnster!
I was impressed, that the older I got, the more patient I became. Turns out, I just don't give a shit.

230 ==> 215
Rik

Post by Rik »

Just yesterday you told me it was 44 reds last weekend. You lying?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley