Returning to the fold....kayak purchase time.....but......

mjrodney
Supporter 2012

Returning to the fold....kayak purchase time.....but......

Post by mjrodney »

Business pulled me away from the water for several years now, but now that I'm old, worn out, used up and discarded (retired), it's time to rejoin the fold.

Appropriate used kayaks in Florida are about as scarce as Arctic Char in our waters, so new seems to be the way to go.

Reading PF.com, I see the name Wilderness, Malibu and Native perhaps more often than others....which says something.....but a local to me dealer is supporting Ocean Kayak as being appropriate for old, worn out, use.........well, for me.

Any words to the contrary about the brand?

In support of Ocean Kayak?

Thanks, all.
1okbyme2

Re: Returning to the fold....kayak purchase time.....but....

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Can't be too bad, they've sold a billion of them.......
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

Personally I like Native because they fit my need. Ocean has sold alot because the price is more reasonable than some of the other brands. Your best bet is to go to one of the bigger dealers Demo Day and try out a few different brands to see what your comfortable in. I know the dealer told you you would fit a Ocean good but don't let him sell you instead try them all and sell yourself the one you want.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Natives are great boats, try one and see.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Deek
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by Deek »

I'm old, used and worn out and paddle a Malibu. IMHO get the one that feels good to you.
Jackson, Big Rig
Rik

Post by Rik »

You won't find a more comfortable seat then a Native and a Jackson. When you get old, worn out, used up and discarded, comfortable is important.

Welcome back!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

Also some of the Natives has pedddle drive units for us old folke to help us keep up.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Rik wrote:You won't find a more comfortable seat then a Native and a Jackson.
Or a Commander.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

Sorry Todd but I have to disagree with you on that Commander seat. Maybe the lowered seat can compare but the raised seat in the Commander - the 'perch' - doesn't come close.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Don't rule out a light-weight solo Canoe.......room and comfort.....I ought to know about old and worn out I am positive I am the SENIOR(in age) member of this forum......

http://www.mohawkcanoes.com/solo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

The Native Ultimate is basically a Hybrid canoe/kayak as is the Commander. It had the best of both worlds with an open canoe style cockpit and a comfortable seat and rudder option like a kayak along with extra stability if you choose to stand and fish. And I would have to agree with Rik I have fished both the Commander and all the Native line boats and the Natives are more comfortable. There is nothing wrong with the Commander or any of the Wilderness boats, they make a great product and you should definately go to a demo day somewhere and try them out. I also owned a Malibu in the past and I had a quality seat and it was also comfortable and stable but it tended to be really slow when paddling.
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Post by r3krobert »

And thinking of solo canoes, check out my posting in the "for sale" forum. You can't beat the 17 pound hull in my Hornbeck. It has many of the hybrid advantages of a Native.
Bob
Deek
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by Deek »

since the Native/Wilderness discussion has come up here I would like to ask, I am going to buy one or the other. Commander 140 or Ultimate 14.5 I need advice,thoughts, wisdom. Thanks
Jackson, Big Rig
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

If your looking for used someone just posted a Native Ultimate tandem for 500 on the Fort Myers Craigslist today. It can be used as a single and the best part is for 500 you get. 600 worth of seats. In the pics they posted it also hs an anchor trolley. Just search kayak in the for sale section and it one of the first ads. It's a smokin deal.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Deek wrote:since the Native/Wilderness discussion has come up here I would like to ask, I am going to buy one or the other. Commander 140 or Ultimate 14.5 I need advice,thoughts, wisdom. Thanks
Paddle both. As you can probably tell around here, every kayak has its admirers. There is no best boat for all but there is a best boat for you. It all has to do with how you feel when in the kayak.
Deek
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by Deek »

Rik wrote:
Deek wrote:since the Native/Wilderness discussion has come up here I would like to ask, I am going to buy one or the other. Commander 140 or Ultimate 14.5 I need advice,thoughts, wisdom. Thanks
Paddle both. As you can probably tell around here, every kayak has its admirers. There is no best boat for all but there is a best boat for you. It all has to do with how you feel when in the kayak.
Thanks Rik
Any suggestions on who/where would have the greatest selection to try out.
Jackson, Big Rig