A day on the flats in Sota.

Flamingo to Big Bend
John
Guv'ner

Re: A day on the flats in Sota.

Post by John »

I know we all like pics of fish, but putting them board doesn't make for a good picture or good handling of the fish. I am not saying that every fish you put on a board dies, and yes they may swim off but we don't know what happens to them after that, but without doubt putting a fish on a board causes it more stress than not.

I am no trying to be confrontational, just hoping to educate and promote better fish handling, and that is all.

Fuzzy I knew you were lying as soon as you said "I caught" :)
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

I agree with John. Now if you catch something really good I'd enjoy a photo but an average fish just doesn't need the stress. That said even the outstanging fish needs to be handled with care.
0 0 1
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Yup, John is right. I love fish pics but unless it's an exceptional fish I don't care for measuring board pics. Crimp your barbs, have some fun, and let em go.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Wow .... tough crowd. I say to each his own. Hell, he could've eaten the damn thing. Maybe to him that was an exceptional fish. Might have been his personal record.

Sheesh ... lighten up boyz! :shock:

Besides, how many times on this forum and others have we seen the phrase, "This post is useless without pics".

Dirks, just eat the dang thing next time and post the pics of a the bones on your measuring board. :mrgreen:
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Rik

Post by Rik »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote: Maybe to him that was an exceptional fish.
Sometimes the old timers forget how excited they were when they were new to the game.

Personally, I hate taking the measuring board with me for anything but a PFTS event. They are too big and cumbersome. However, laying the fish on a measuring board is probably better then the foot well or a lap.

I get and agree with the 'let's take care of the fish' point. It is something we all must continue to keep in mind. Thankfully we don't have pics of flying trout anymore.....
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Bigfish171
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Bigfish171 »

Yeah, it could have been worse, like when I went out & forgot my lunch the other day...

Dave
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Rik wrote:
GILs_GONE_WILD wrote: Maybe to him that was an exceptional fish.
Sometimes the old timers forget how excited they were when they were new to the game.

Personally, I hate taking the measuring board with me for anything but a PFTS event. They are too big and cumbersome. However, laying the fish on a measuring board is probably better then the foot well or a lap.

I get and agree with the 'let's take care of the fish' point. It is something we all must continue to keep in mind. Thankfully we don't have pics of flying trout anymore.....

"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:Wow .... tough crowd. I say to each his own. Hell, he could've eaten the damn thing. Maybe to him that was an exceptional fish. Might have been his personal record.

Sheesh ... lighten up boyz! :shock:

Besides, how many times on this forum and others have we seen the phrase, "This post is useless without pics".

Dirks, just eat the dang thing next time and post the pics of a the bones on your measuring board. :mrgreen:

I believe it was done lightly, maybe you should be the one lighten up Gil.

As for eating the fish, Snook are no take right now, and after laying that Trout on the board it might as well have been taken anyway.
My point is to ask "why photograph a fish on a board when you're not in a tournament and when it is going to be released?"

As for the phrase "This post is useless without pics" I did a search for that and there were only 2 results, I think you must be confusing this forum with FS or some other board.

Oh and the 2 results for that search were all made by the same guy, "GILs_GONE_WILD"

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/search. ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Bigfish171 wrote:Yeah, it could have been worse, like when I went out & forgot my lunch the other day...

Now that's some funny shit.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

John wrote: and after laying that Trout on the board it might as well have been taken anyway.
Are you serious?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

Ok guys.... I can take constructive criticism... But I think we're all getting of canter now.. I really appreciate the advice on both sides of the fence. Since this has become a big passion of mine I'd like to do my part and care about the sport I partake in. No the trout wasn't better off being eatten there's a strong chance it's still going stong and will be able to breed ( you have to admit that was a silly statement ) I like to compete amongst you guys cause you've been doing it alot longer then I have. I'd like to think there's some pretty avid anglers amongst the group. So of course you're going to know a thing or two more then me. That's the other reason I try to get out and fish with you so I can learn. Ask bigfish171 I'm always pounding him with questions about fishing. So please by all means offer me advice I might take it the wrong way at first but I throughly think about things and take away the good from peoples objections towards me. Thanks and see you guys at the next tourney. :salute:
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

Oh and DaveR thanks for reminding me about the barbs. I upgrade the crappy factory hooks but always forget to mash them.
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I forget sometimes too. Did yesterday but realized it on the first snook and quickly remedied it. Wish more folks would do it.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Native1

Post by Native1 »

Derek,

When I first started fishing these tournaments I took my camera and measuring board with me every time I went out so I could practice taking pictures of fish, and Im SURE that you and I are not the only ones that have done this. Maybe we should have practiced with fake fish instead? How about one of those pillow fish from Walmart? Im glad you were able to take a vacation and get out on the water to catch fish, good for you!

Rob
Leave me alone I'm in my nothing box.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

John wrote: I believe it was done lightly, maybe you should be the one lighten up Gil.
Done "lightly"!??? Y'all we're beatin' the poor guy up. Looked like a gang rape to me before I stepped in. Glad I took the heat off of Dirks. I'm old and could care less ... I can handle any and all self righteous fishin' BS thrown my way. :cool:
John wrote: As for eating the fish, Snook are no take right now, and after laying that Trout on the board it might as well have been taken anyway.
John ... so the the trout dies. Why do you hate crabs so much!? Hell, a family of 5 blue crabs could feast on that "almost" 23 inch trout for 2-3 days. :? Gettin' real tough with people "handling trout correctly" these days for a momma and daddy blue crab to feed them three younguns. Don't hate the crabs "mate". :(
John wrote: As for the phrase "This post is useless without pics" I did a search for that and there were only 2 results, I think you must be confusing this forum with FS or some other board.

Oh and the 2 results for that search were all made by the same guy, "GILs_GONE_WILD"

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/search. ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John, I am MORE than flattered that you spent that much of your own time diggin' up this stuff on me. Flattered I tell you. However, if you weren't off today and you did this on your boss's time .... shame on you "mate". :mrgreen:

p.s. I'm off Sunday/Thursday ... this was ALL done on my own dime. :razz:
GIL

GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Heywood wrote:
John wrote: and after laying that Trout on the board it might as well have been taken anyway.
Are you serious?
I've NEVER had a trout die that I know of after being measured on my "Heywood Fish Measuring Board". If it died later, one more for the crabs. :cheers:
GIL