Developers are after area @ south end of Skyway!

22acrowd

Re: Developers are after area @ south end of Skyway!

Post by 22acrowd »

What a dumb plan. Will never happen.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Rik wrote:Please don't forget the narcissists on the overly loud motorcycles!
Ouch! Your going to have to pull my Harley throttle from my cold dead hands. (which is the way that too many motorcycle riders end up because of all the yahoos doing stupid things on the roads.) We all love the vices we love and don't really understand the vices that others love. You tolerate my vice and I will tolerate yours.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

While we are on the subject of development here's a big one that will happen.

Over the next 5-10 years I would expect CRB and the Apollo Beach area to get MUCH busier. The beat goes on...se la vi.
JB
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Manning wrote:
Rik wrote:Please don't forget the narcissists on the overly loud motorcycles!
Ouch! Your going to have to pull my Harley throttle from my cold dead hands. (which is the way that too many motorcycle riders end up because of all the yahoos doing stupid things on the roads.) We all love the vices we love and don't really understand the vices that others love. You tolerate my vice and I will tolerate yours.
What he said ^^^
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

If one has bought the land I do not see why they should not be allowed to go about getting the best use out of it. (See make money from their investment) However if you do not agree with it please feel free to purchase it yourself and donate it to the state. But do not change the rules for people after the fact. This may not be popular but the world changes and if you yourself do not want it to change buy it yourself.
Credo quia absurdum
Rik

Post by Rik »

Look at the amount of dredge and fill. While I generally agree with your response, there has to be some limits.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

I like the big speakers in my car, and miss the loud exhaust on the motorcycle I just sold :oops:
Rik

Post by Rik »

Kayaking will cure you're old "look at me!!!!!!" disease.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

Rik wrote:Kayaking will cure you're old "look at me!!!!!!" disease.

I have to really crank my music to have it heard outside my car, I desigend the system as such.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Rik wrote:Kayaking will cure you're old "look at me!!!!!!" disease.
What we have here is a failure to communicate. The loud pipes have nothing to do with "look at me". That is your perception. What it is all about is the love of that sound and what it means to me. I am going to take some space here to try and explain it.

Back in 1964 some friends and I built up a 55 Chevy coupe. It had a 283 with triple 2 barrel carbs on it and a three speed Hurst shifter on the floor. We "auditioned" a number of glass packs until we got just the right sound from those straight pipes. Wasn't about look at us, it was about that sound we loved. Hell, before we got her on the road we used to sit in the garage where we built her and and just rev her up and let off to hear that sound. Nothing like the sound of American iron.

When I lived in Pittsburgh I used to go to the blessing of the bikes each April that was held a local church. There would be between 1000 and 3000 bikes there depending on weather. We always ended the service with the ringing of the pipes. God what a glorious roar.

A couple years ago my wife and I were in Syracuse while my mom was in the hospital up there. One night my wife and I went out to dinner at the Dinosaur Bar BQ. A place with great food that is frequented by the after work business crowd and by bikers. Three guys walked out and got on their Harleys that were backed into the curb. When they fired their bikes up my wife turned to me and said "God that sounds great!" I smiled because I knew she understood.

In 2003 I rode my Harley Deuce with 2 1/2 inch diameter straight pipes on it from Pittsburgh to Milwaukee for the 100th anniversary of Harley Davidson. Although I started the trip alone I soon joined up with other riders that I meet a rest stops along the way. As we traveled our group grew. At times we had upwards to 50 or more bikes all in a line, thundering across Ohio and Indiana under the hot August sun. Even today I can close my eyes and relive those glorious sights and sounds. At the end of our ride we spent a fabulous weekend with 250,000 like minded owners of the great American motorcycle. Nothing makes a sound like that and I love it. My wife and I made the trip again in 2008 for the 105th anniversary celebration. You should have been there as 100,000 people left the Bruce Springsteen concert on their bikes.

Okay I have tried, but probably it is like the T shirt says "If you don't understand, I can't explain it to you."
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

justabucup wrote:If one has bought the land I do not see why they should not be allowed to go about getting the best use out of it. (See make money from their investment) However if you do not agree with it please feel free to purchase it yourself and donate it to the state. But do not change the rules for people after the fact. This may not be popular but the world changes and if you yourself do not want it to change buy it yourself.
Ok, back on topic.

Buc, so you feel it is ok to buy mangrove islands, sea grass beds and tidal area and fill that in because, in your opinion, that is the best use? Read the last line of the article, it is not permit permit able land.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

I better get fishing over there before it's too late :fishin:
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Todd wrote:
justabucup wrote:If one has bought the land I do not see why they should not be allowed to go about getting the best use out of it. (See make money from their investment) However if you do not agree with it please feel free to purchase it yourself and donate it to the state. But do not change the rules for people after the fact. This may not be popular but the world changes and if you yourself do not want it to change buy it yourself.
Ok, back on topic.

Buc, so you feel it is ok to buy mangrove islands, sea grass beds and tidal area and fill that in because, in your opinion, that is the best use? Read the last line of the article, it is not permit permit able land.
Do I agree with buying such areas? No because there are so many laws, rules and regulation about their developement that it is too far of a gamble. This is where a gruop is taking a gamble by buying such an area and fostering an agreement to get the permitting to develop the area. My guess here is that the group really does not want to develop this land rather they wish to get the public (like mushyheaded swarmers) to demand it be stopped and to have the government buy it for the future of the children. This way the developers can either :

A) Get some relief on other permits from other properties they own

or

B) Sell the property for a good profit to the state or feds and then have a chariatble tax receipt for an amount equal to that as a developed property. Giving the developers an enormous tax rightoff.

However do not get me wrong If I owned a peice of property and was going to enhance it not only my private use but that which would enhance the community as well I am in favor of it and would hate having to battle every treehugging myopic that moved to Florida from somewhere else.
Credo quia absurdum
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

It think you'll find we all moved to Florida, Bucarroo, some just did a earlier than others, maybe a few generations earlier, but we all moved here.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

John wrote:It think you'll find we all moved to Florida, Bucarroo, some just did a earlier than others, maybe a few generations earlier, but we all moved here.

Right you are John. Excuse the pajoratives from my post and it reads far less pot stirring though. Comes down to my love of private property rights and those that have no skin in the game determining the outcome. Also my facination with how the mob is manipulated.
Credo quia absurdum
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

justabucup wrote: Comes down to my love of private property rights and those that have no skin in the game determining the outcome. Also my facination with how the mob is manipulated.
While I agree with you somewhat Buc this case is different, at least in my eyes. These guys knew this land was not able to be developed when they got it and now they want something different in exchange for their own personal greed and want.

The classic example of the case you state above is the Belleair Hotel in Clearwater. It is a large piece of property that needs to be torn down to make the project economically feasable but there is a loud preservation voice due ot the historic nature of the property. If these voices want to preserve the hotel so badly they should buy it themselves.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM