Nother day, nother riva

Flamingo to Big Bend
John
Guv'ner

Re: Nother day, nother riva

Post by John »

You better get one for fly fishing the lake for Bluegill
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Indeed. I'll tuck it in my pfd with my registration. :razz:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Good man :mrgreen:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
no time

Post by no time »

22acrowd wrote:Good shots. Is that a wheelchair you are sitting in?
Dave, is that seat riser a little tippy? I want to try that on my Ultimate14.5 and I think John did the same to his kayak before he sold it. Was it hard to put it together?
Thanks and nice snook pics.

NT
Last edited by no time on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What can I do to help?
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

It's easy to put together, two pieces of PVC pipe, Tie wrapped under the seat, pipe needs to long enough to extend across the gunnells.

Not too tippy, makes standing easier too, not so far to get up from.
no time

Post by no time »

That's what I need John. Leg's hurt way too much sitting at the bottom. :( Did you use schedule 40 for the PVC? And I guess you do not secure it to the gunnels just to the seat?
What can I do to help?
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

So if I wanted to try some of this river fishing where would be a good spot to start? Im over in Pinellas and am not familiar with any of the rivers.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Great pics Steve and very nice Catching there Mr. Daver :wink:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

no time wrote:That's what I need John. Leg's hurt way too much sitting at the bottom. :( Did you use schedule 40 for the PVC? And I guess you do not secure it to the gunnels just to the seat?

Yes Schedule 40, I actually secured the back piece of PVC to the gunnell, so when I stand I could flip the seat back giving me room, I called it the "Up and Away" seat riser mod :mrgreen:
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

bigguy wrote:So if I wanted to try some of this river fishing where would be a good spot to start? Im over in Pinellas and am not familiar with any of the rivers.

Aint too many rivers in Pinellas, but the Little Manatee aint too far away, there's a great little launch at the end of Stephen's road in Ruskin, which will put you clsoe to the I75 Bridge, a great Snook spot when the water is moving.

Try a Tsunami swim shad in 3" or 4" work the pilings and bridge structure, keep going under the bridge and explore the ox-bows and back waters for redfish, there can be some good sight fishing opportunities in there.

http://g.co/maps/jqh9c
Rik

Post by Rik »

John wrote:Aint
Thats from JFA. Still comes out in in Irish accent but that word is pure American.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

Thanks for the info John
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Rik wrote:
Thats from JFA. Still comes out in in Irish accent but that word is pure American.

Sorry mate, Ain't is very very English.

"In England, ain't is generally used only by the working classes, such as those speaking the Cockney dialect, and is often considered improper speech by the middle and upper classes, in contrast to 19th century England where it was readily used in familiar speech by the educated and upper classes."
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

bigguy wrote:Thanks for the info John

You are very welcome mate, some big Snook under that bridge, 30lb leader is the minimum to stand a chance of landing one.

It's a good idea to have two set ups, one medium rod, with a 3" shad and 25lb leader and one Medium Heavy or Heavy with a 4" or bigger shad on 40lb leader.

Start out one the heavier rig, if you get no get no interest switch to the lighter set up.
In my experience there you're more likely to hit a bigger fish earlier and that's the one you want to land. If you get snapped off by a big fish the bite will slow or stop completely.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

John wrote:
Rik wrote:

Sorry mate, Ain't is very very English.

"In England, ain't is generally used only by the working classes, such as those speaking the Cockney dialect, and is often considered improper speech by the middle and upper classes, in contrast to 19th century England where it was readily used in familiar speech by the educated and upper classes."
Same here except it is the southern class.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
no time

Post by no time »

Great. Thanks for the update. Off to Lowes I go
What can I do to help?