Reel Cleaning(spinning reel)

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Tarpon14089

Reel Cleaning(spinning reel)

Post by Tarpon14089 »

I was wondering what is the best for spinning reel cleaning. Do you guys just srapy them off after using them in the saltwater?? Any good products out there to make them look new and keep them working like new!!
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Re: Reel Cleaning(spinning reel)

Post by SRQGator »

At a minimum, give your reels a light freshwater spray after every use then dry them off. I use a small pressurized garden sprayer that puts out a nice mist and has a lock on the handle, so I can 'set it and forget it.'

Next, get a can of corrosion inhibitor—Corrosion X, Corrosion Block, etc. Put some on a cloth and wipe down the outside. For the hard to reach places, like between the spool and the rotor arms, use an old soft toothbrush or something similar. It has been recommended to me to back out the screws in the body a couple turns and put a little in there, although I rarely do this. Give extra attention to the line roller, those bearings tend to be the first to go bad. You can also remove the handle and the cap on the opposite side and put some anti-corrosion on the bearings in there. Go light, you don't want to crud it up (yes, that is a technical term).

Sounds like a pain, but if you make it a habit and get the process down it's pretty easy. You can get away with not doing it every time. Just don't let your reels sit for a long time with salt caked on them.
1 1 12?
Tarpon14089

Post by Tarpon14089 »

Sounds good, thank you. I do spray them off with the hose when I am done using them for the day. I will get those products this weekend..
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I use reel magic. Works good.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
NateS

Post by NateS »

I have read that you want to make sure you are not using too high of pressure on the hose when hosing them off as this will push sand and other junk into the reel parts. I just use a hose with no nozzle attachment and lightly rinse off after every use.
"I cannot help thinking that the people with motor boats miss a great deal. If they would only keep to rowboats or canoes, and use oar or paddle...they would get infinitely more benefit than by having their work done for them by gasoline.". - Theodore Roosevelt
Rik

Post by Rik »

The best idea I've seen was from Sam Ledford. He carries a pump sprayer in his truck and sprays them off as soon as he gets back to the launch. It makes a nice mist at low pressure and gets his reels clean before all the salt drives and crusts on the drive home.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

I too use a soft spray to rinse my reels down, but I follow that up by lubricating the line roller with 3 in 1 oil and than a light spray of CRC food grade silicon spray. Protects without getting sticky.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld