July 4th fishingworks before the fireworks

Flamingo to Big Bend
Rik

Post by Rik »

Heywood, Bassboy and I headed out this morning for some time on the water. We all arrived well before sun up at the launch and, in short order, were paddling out. We were greeted quickly by active fish despite the full moon.

The first hour was good for all of us. Heywood was first to hook up with a trout and a small snook. I managed an 18-20 inch redfish that was released to go find it's Mother and send her over to us. We were all getting big pops on our topwaters until Bassboy hooked up with a nice mid 30's snook that took him into the mangroves.

Shortly after I found a snook that had good aerobatics but didn't measure up to Bassboy's

As you can see, Barnacle doesn't like that snook aren't in season.

A recurring theme was floating grass. We managed to catch fish in it but it became a nuisance after a while

Heywood finally caught a pic worthy snook after cornering (and calling Bassboy and I over) a school of redfish. Or so he said...

We ended up paddling quite a distance in search of redfish but could never find them. Did run into Kon Tiki in his amazing 'swiss army knife' kayak. He found a 3-4 foot bonnethead shark that gave him quite a fight.

As the breeze started to disappear and the heat started to climb we headed back in. On the way we made a few casts and I was rewarded with a 22 flounder. I thought I'd finally found my fish taco redfish but a flounder will do nicely instead.

It was a good time guys!

(pics courtesy of Heywood)
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
bassboy

Re: July 4th fishingworks before the fireworks

Post by bassboy »

This was a great day of fishing and fellowship we will definately have to do it again. Bill thanks for taking great pictures.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Why does my snook look so small? :( Those were redfish I tell ya!!

Great time boys. I paid for it later. :pukeright:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Heywood wrote:Why does my snook look so small?
Because it is? :scratch:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
hulkman1

Post by hulkman1 »

Great job guys......ya,..its starts to get very hot around 11:00 now....thats what it was like for me last week..good snook and trout in the morning then nothing...then to HOT to continue on...nice fish though....
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

That must have been a really skinny and really long mid 30s snook. Maybe pics are deceiving? I need to get me one of those measuring boards chris...
This is a 35" snook
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Stop trying to hijack our thread :mrgreen:

Rik, you need some glasses. Both of you. :lol: :lol:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

And how come we only get to see 3"s of a 22" flounder? :lol: Nice fish :thumbleft: , all bigger than the 15" trouts I caught that morning with the flyrod. Now that 3' bonnet head that inhaled my offerings would had been another story but he wasn't interested in sticking around.. :razz:
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
EZYLYF
King of Broken Fly Rods

Post by EZYLYF »

Nice hat Rik.....
Rik

Post by Rik »

Yeah, Bill, I know. That flounder was probably more like 32 inches.

Wanna borrow it Walt? It catches fish.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

Heywood wrote:Stop trying to hijack our thread :mrgreen:

I gotta bust chris' balls every now and then... thats what forums are for :cheers:
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Stop picking on Rik. How often does he post a fishing report?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

Rik you lost weight or is it the camera angle? Anyone notice how bad the bug have been this past week. The no see em's were bordeline torture over at perico! I hate when you get a picture of a fish thats looking pretty damn big in your hands then you review your pic and it looks dinky!
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

gsellers1245 wrote:
Heywood wrote:Stop trying to hijack our thread :mrgreen:

I gotta bust chris' balls every now and then... thats what forums are for :cheers:

Again, thats my job. :lol:
Rik

Post by Rik »

Its the fish shrinking lens on Heywoods camera. He uses it a lot when taking pics of fish other people catch. He forgot to change it out when handing the camera over to take a pic of his 38" snook. I guess we should have stretched out our arms.....
EZYLYF
King of Broken Fly Rods

Post by EZYLYF »

Rik wrote: Wanna borrow it Walt? It catches fish.
I won't borrow it but will steal it from you so keep an eye on it... I do have a Cubs hat, if you want to trade... It does not catch fish...