Spook-tastic

Flamingo to Big Bend
redfish

Spook-tastic

Post by redfish »

Went out fishin just a few days ago. First time taking the kayak out in 4 months. Since I was doing the Tarpon gig and then finally getting a GF I just didn't have the time. But finally I had the time so why not go out. Winds were out of the ENE at like 10kts with a somewhat decent outgoing tide till 1030am. I set my alarm for 530 just to make sure i have enough time to get things loaded and to get to the water in time. Well I was a tad early and got things set up pretty fast. As I get to the launch and unload and what not. I noticed I forgot my wang anchor at home as Im paddling away. Its whatever.. i should be fine. Paddling around and getting used to the kayak again I noticed some schools of mullet.During the morning I always throw the SpookJr. As Im casting it out and walking the dog I missed a few strikes nothing crazy. Just when I reach an area that had some broken bottom and a little drop off is where I found some fish. When I was walking through some mullet I had a big ole red come up and smash it. I hooked up but couldnt keep him on. He then came back and smashed it again. Basically body slamming it and missing the trebles. About 10 mins later I get another hit on top. Biggest strike Ive ever had on spook. Set the hook and the fish takes off 30 or so yards of line... then everything goes limp. Lost this fish somehow. I was getting really pissed about missing these two fish but somehow kept my cool. Wasn't five minutes later I got blasted and laid into this fish. He burned like 50 yards of line and after a good fight and thinking it was a red I had a nice 37" snook to the kayak. Caught my redfish and trout right after to have my slam by like 840-9am.. not bad day at all. did get stuck in a bad storm on my way in. 30mph winds with some strong bands of rain.. totally sucked

Amped Kayak Fishing and Southern Backwater on Facebook
Mercuryverado200 on Youtube
Wright Custom Rods
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Re: Spook-tastic

Post by mauso1 »

nice snuke
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Vetty nice!
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
blindcast

Post by blindcast »

Gotta love topwater. Nice fish!
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Beautiful fish....I notice your fish has a bruise on the side. My largest snook also had one similar to that, but much larger. I have always wondered what might have caused that....is it something that happens during breeding...was it from a dolphin or some other predator, or from some other sort of impact :?:

Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Great Fish. Well done mate. And on topwaters to boot it doesn't get much better than that.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
FLfishchaser

Post by FLfishchaser »

Solid Fish !!! Gotta love a Spook. I've lost 2 Spooks in the past 2 days !!! 1 to a Red Power Pro broke and 1 to a Snook cutting the leader. The Snook jumped four times after it had cut me off. It sucked watching the fish jump around with my Spook hanging out of his Mouth.
redfish

Post by redfish »

I've been told that the marks on the side are due to breeding or when it gets so cold out during the winter they brush up against the bottom of sea floor. Im not 100% sure why they have the markings. I get different answers from everyone but these are the 2 that are the most popular. Most of the snook that I catch around my area that are over 30" have these markings. My 40" I caught a while back had some nasty looking marks on her side and gill plates. One of the fish my buddy caught that was somewhere around 35" had markings on its side along with side burns on its gill plates(aglae) Other causes could be of age possible I do not know.
Amped Kayak Fishing and Southern Backwater on Facebook
Mercuryverado200 on Youtube
Wright Custom Rods
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

All very plausible...may never find the exact reason, but like you...I tend to lean toward the breeding thing.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld