North Georgia - Loved it

John
Guv'ner

North Georgia - Loved it

Post by John »

Had a great trip to North Georgia, lost of fish and some good sized ones too.

First ever Rainbow on A Woolly bugger from the Toccoa river!

A Soque river specimen taken on dry fly.

My best fish of the Trip - Soque again

Toccoa river - Photo by Stephen Moore

Weapons of Fish destruction

Eloy's best fish taken at dark on a Y2K nimph

A great trip highly recommend it to anyone, Unicoi Outfitters in Helen really sorted us out on where what and how to fish.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Gibby3474

Re: North Georgia - Loved it

Post by Gibby3474 »

Mighty nice! Good pics, too!
Steve
www.kayakfishingsarasota.com
http://gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com/
NuCanoe Pursuit
NuCanoe Pro Staff
Aqua-Bound Pro Staff
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

North Georgia is a great treasure for river trout fishing
Next time you head that way let me know
I know some great areas to fish
We might be able to meet up
I have a cabin in Blue Ridge and go often
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Thanks fellas, Biscuit a cabin in Blue Ridge, I'm jealous mate.
I can see one in my future in about 20 years as a retirement home. Right now I wouldn't get enough use out of it.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

Outstanding, and great pix! Thanks for sharing!
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

Thats my plan
If all goes well i hope to retire with in the next 2-3 years
Then move there full time and spend many hours on the river
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Great pics Johnny.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

This is one AWESOME photo!!! The color, the framing of the flyfisherman with the flora! I ... like it!!! :thumbleft:

GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Well done, young grasshopper.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Captain Hugh

Post by Captain Hugh »

Helen Ga. is a really nice place. My sister and brother in law have a cottage near Blairsville. Once stayed in a cottage that over hung a nice stream near Helen.
"There was a very cautious man, who never laughed or cried. He never risked, he never lost, he never won nor tried. And when he one day passed away, his insurance was denied, For since he never really lived, they claimed he never died
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Hmmm...seems I'm a bit late reading this one.

I liked the fog pics...very cool.

IMHO the mountains were soooo much better before the Olympics hit Atlanta. Property was reasonable and abundant. Trout were plentiful and big. Some of the cabins put in after the Olympics must be worth $750K-$1M now and are easily seen on the mountains. Kinda takes away from the outdoor feeling.

Atlanta's urban sprawl is just at the doors steps of the Appalachians as well - even worse since I left, and where people used to commute Southbound into ATL the commute on 400 (into the mountains) is now in both directions for both evening and morning rush hours. It's brutal. I remember reading an article about ATL's projected growth - it was massive. A contiguous sprawl from the North ATL to Athens to Macon. Basically TPA (maybe even Tarpon Springs) to Orlando to Sarasota. I believe Metro ATL is at 5.3M people now. Last time I tried Octoberfest in Helen was a 2 hour drive - normally it was 60-70 min. That was a decade ago - I can't imagine how much traffic goes through there now.

After 20 years of hanging out up there I had my fill. I'm not as much into hunting any more and fly fishing wasn't my ticket. Fast forward to '98 and one poon and I knew my gig was up in the ATL. FL was the ticket for me. Wonderboy is hooked on FL as well. I'm encouraging him to do what I did - get a gig in ATL, get your bearings, move back to somewhere in FL. He's been accepted into GA Tech (and UF) so we'll see where it lands.

I suspect you could probably say the above for Miami and the Keys in the 70's. Progress - it's a bitch.

I wouldn't trade the mountains for what we have in FL for anything. There are some very cool places up there, but to me the mountains are much like Miami now. 3-5 days of it and I've had my fill and am ready to leave. Course I want to live on a boat...

Seems the grass is always greener...Hope I wasn't too much a Debbie Downer. Providing a different perspective on how it used to be vs. the way it is now.

Now for employment...that's another story. Here's an article that came out yesterday on 500 IT jobs moving to ATL averaging $65K. Over here we're glad to be getting Bass Pro.
JB
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

Sounds great John. Great pics. For those who haven't done it, you need to. Walking into a river and figuring out how to fish it is a great feeling. I fish a lot out west now on the Madison and the Henry's Fork among others. I have never had so much fun fishing. Some places you just wade in and figure it out. Other places are much more technical. You have to figure out when the hatches are and what is hatching if you expect to catch anything. Sometimes I sit on the bank enjoying an adult beverage and wait for a hatch just enjoying the scenery. When a Mayfly or a Damsel spinner lands on me I match my fly to it and start watching for rising Trout. The most fun is picking a certain Trout and timing the rises and presenting the fly for the take. When it works it is fantastic. Better than tailing Redfish in my book.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Great to hear from the master of the silver spoon. We were just talking about you last week. Enough about you. How's your wife!?

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

the toccoa area is beautiful. I used to spend a lot of time up that way when I lived in Macon. Kudos on the great shots
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage