Waterproof Camera Recommendations?

bjbg8r

Waterproof Camera Recommendations?

Post by bjbg8r »

Howdy Paddlefishermen! Happy Thanksgiving! I'm trying to figure out a nice waterproof camera to buy for my kayak fishing use. I'm leaning toward the Olympus TG-810, but I wanted to see if any of you upstanding gentlemen had any suggestions. Thanks so much and have a great day everyone! Don't eat too much!
Brian

-(2) Hurricane Phoenix 130 Kayaks

"When good men fail to act, evil men will act with evil results."
Tide1on

Re: Waterproof Camera Recommendations?

Post by Tide1on »

Take a look at the Nikon Coolpix AW100
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Another option is a Kodack Playsport. It is a waterproof camera that shoots video and stills. I have shot videos of my dughter swiming underwater in our pool. The only drawbacks are no flash and no self timer.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Post by r3krobert »

I use a Pentax Optio which I bought at a list member's suggestion. So far I've had a few years of trouble free use.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Consider a Canon D20 in the list too - about $300 or so.

I shoot a G11with an U/W housing so I get a very good pro-sumer camera that can be used to 120-140'. The new version is a G12. It's a bit bulky, but I'm very pleased with the results. About $500-600 combined. When not in use on the boat the wife uses it as her go to camera that fits in her purse, but is not an ultra compact.
JB
Helmig

Post by Helmig »

I bought my wife a Canon D20 several months ago. She keeps it tethered to her yak and keeps in the floor or wherever. It's a real tough camera. I think it's rated for a depth of 33'.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

The Pentax Optio series has served many of us very well over the years.
rugrat181
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by rugrat181 »

My kids got me a Lumix by Panasonic. Been a great camera for me. Easy to use,waterproof,compact. It also shoots video. I would recommend it to anyone.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Let's celebrate !!

Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club"

Dave S
bjbg8r

Post by bjbg8r »

Anyone have any experience with a Olympus Tough TG-820? Thanks for all of the recommendations everyone!
Brian

-(2) Hurricane Phoenix 130 Kayaks

"When good men fail to act, evil men will act with evil results."
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

I have a TG-320 (I think) that hasn't hiccuped in the almost two years I have had it. Takes decent pic for the limited lens system.
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
paddln4reds

Post by paddln4reds »

Ehh, I'm not a fan of the Olympus Tough Series! I think I went thru 3 of them before learning my lesson. Each one failed for one reason or the other within 2 years. The last one I sent back to Olympus and they said they could fix it for $150-$175. I told them to keep it and I'll go buy another brand! The new one I use now is a Panansonic Lumix TS3. I've had it for, I believe, 2yrs. It's going strong...no issues at all and it's been in the pool many many times, at the beach, in saltwater & banged around on hiking trips. Oh, it takes nice pics too. :-) I'd recommend it!
Rick

T140 Yellow
T120 Slate
T130 Mango
T130 Lime
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I had a Pentax Optio that I used for a long time for fishing and snorkeling. I finally drowned it while snorkeling in Aruba. It was a good camera, but an older model with mediocre picture quality. The new Pentax waterproofs are too expensive so I ended up with a Panasonic Lumix TS10. It is a great little camera. Very small with good image stabilization and picture quality. The TS10 came with a silicone cover that is great for protecting the camera.

This model has been replaced with the TS20 which has a few upgrades and a longer zoom, but no silicone cover. Amazon.com has this camera on sale at $119, plus you can pick up an off brand backup battery for about $10. The Lumix TS3/TS4 is probably a great camera, but unless you want the GPS feature, I'm not sure if it is worth the extra price.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

r3krobert wrote:I use a Pentax Optio which I bought at a list member's suggestion. So far I've had a few years of trouble free use.
Same same Pentax W60.. but if I was in the market for another camera it may not be the Pentax. while its a great camera, (except for the slow to focus and shoot as with most point & shoot digis).
For hanging around your neck or easily accesible splash proof digi cam for kayak simple fish photos its OK.. for a waterproof digi I'd be very hesitant of taking any camera diving its just to easy to drop past the 7', 10', 33', or 39' depth without thought. I have also found like all others it sinks all the way to the bottom if dropped overboard.

I don't think twice about the splashes it gets, or the simple fresh water wash down I give it at the end of every trip, had it 3 years and no problems.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~