New fishing rod/reel help.

Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: New fishing rod/reel help.

Post by Todd »

There are several shimano reels, as Rik mentioned, that are in your price range and much lighter. I used that one as an example. Just wanted to point that out about the quantam reels.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

I've had pretty good luck with the Wright & McGill "Sabalos" spinning reel series. I like the 3000 size - balances well, and a little extra diameter cuts down the spool speed when pulling drag.

I'm also just finishing up a review on what is turning out to be a terrific reel for the price point. The Ohero SG series inshore spinning reel retail for about $50. 7+1 stainless ball bearings, including two shielded bearings, some machined aluminum parts. The 7 1" drag washers make for a smooth and consistent drag. I haven't disassembled one yet (this weekend), but at that price the reel is a great buy.
http://www.oherofishing.com/fishing-reels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

I would be very interested in that review BigFly. I am in no hurry, probably wont get the new rod/reel for a month or so anyways. Christmas has drained the pocket near dry. On paper that looks like a nice reel.

Went to BPS today and was not impressed by the Quantum Blu reel. Felt a bit sloppy new. I did buy a friend of mine the Penn Battle Combo 3000 series for Christmas. Feels like a great deal for rod and reel at $120. Reel feels great and the rod also.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I have the Penn 2000 and after 6 months it's already pitting. It has not endured a full dunk yet. I like the smoothness of the drag, but gotta say for $59 those Sabalos 2500 - I like those.

My thoughts...

Get the PFTS #2 tourney coupon for 10% off and get a 7'6" Wiggins or Mojo rod for either $90 or $109. Get a Sabalo 2500 or 3000 - or get both and have two combos.

You'll get what you pay for - middle or just above the middle of the road performance. And that's good enough for me.

More details here...the person who advised I get these rods was the legend Cooknfish. That was good enough for me too.

Getcha a couple badankadonks(bone white) for $2.69 and $6 shipping, or go to Dicks and use the PFTS #2 coupon for $5 off. Hell get all crazy and get a spook jr to boot.

Getcha some Ohero 20# braid from the local Tampa shop justforfishing.com. Get some Ohero flurocarbon too. Use the coupon code 10off50 for anything over $50 - or go withe free shipping.

Bundle that up with some riptide paddletails - use coupon code FLPDL30 for 30% off. I use rootbeer with a red/white 1/8 oz jighead. Order a bunch...

You'll be good to go...then spend the $75-100 you saved on the above on your wife and tell her you're going to miss her while your out fishing.
JB
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Well the decision was somewhat made for me so this is what I ended up with.

Penn Battle 2000 series reel with a Stellar Lite ML 7' rod (SG216ISM).

Going to be using 10lb PowerPro Superslick braid.

Keep you all updated on how it works out. I love the feel (in the store) but we will see how it preforms soon enough.