winter wading?

strutzy

winter wading?

Post by strutzy »

I've been kayak fishing for a couple years now, mainly Bradenton area in the winter. I haven't waded much out of the kayak because I don't have the gear. My question is do most guys rough it with shorts or do most wear waders and flats boots. Just wondering the pros and cons. thanks Mark
Tide1on

Re: winter wading?

Post by Tide1on »

Pros - warm and dry
Cons - cold and wet

Take a look at these, Hodgman® LakeStream® Stocking Foot. If & when it's really cold out you can put sweats on underneath them.
I haven't used them yet this season but this past Tuesday the water was pretty darn chilly, but still doable. Maybe after the next really good cold front I'll have to dig them out. I have a second pair of dive boots just for the waders. I went with the 2XL/12 size boots for use with the waders, without the waders L/10 size.
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

The above plus..

Pro -
very stealthy approach,
assuming you ditch/anchor the boat no hull slap,
even more "in tune" with the surroundings,
good exercise,
less is more
chicks dig the look - I'm constantly finding myself at the boat ramp/launch with several ladies waiting for me

Con -
string rays hurt (proud member of the Psychedelic Vision Rays Tagged Me Team) ,
oysters can cut,
sharks can bite (dem big ones REALLY get your attention when they "sneak" up on you),
had several reds try and go between my legs - treble hooks could be a nightmare

I tend to avoid wading when alone, but do it frequently when tandem. I wear waders in cold weather even if I'm not getting out of the boat. Nice and warm. I'm too old to rough it now a days. IMHO it's worth the $70-100. Don't see fishing in the winter without them. If i had to do it again, I would get the ones with the integrated boot.

The ones above are nice - don't get neoprene, pvc ones. You'll be sweating bullets. I think bass pro has some for $60 as well. No idea if they are any good.
JB
strutzy

Post by strutzy »

thanks for your input guys, have to look online. thanks again Mark
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Spring and summer I'll wade in shorts..Keep your wading belt tight with the waders , you fall in a hole and they fill up with water you could be in a sticky situation.
I too prefer to fish with someone else when wading.

bps has a good set of boots for $30.

Last edited by JohnD on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

JohnD wrote:Spring and summer I'll wade in shorts..Keep your wading belt tight with the waders , you fall in a whole and they fill up with water you could be in a sticky situation.
I too prefer to fish with someone else when wading.

bps has a good set of boots for $30.

I use similar wading boots, BUT make sure you spray the zippers with reel magic or some kind of lubricant. One of my zippers corroded and broke off. Now I have to use duck tape to secure the one boot to my foot lol.

I use rain pants to wade. It doesn't make the water feel any warmer, but it helps stay warm when back in the kayak.
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)
Rik

Post by Rik »

ALWAYS leave the zipper halfway when storing them. That way you can work it both ways when it gets stuck.

I wore chest high waders for years. Noticed a couple guys (MarkM and Norm) wore waist high so I bought a pair of those. Waist high is the way to go for me. I never waded above my waist so I really didn't need the height. Plus the are much easier.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Just today I learned you should never borrow my spare pair of waders. On another note maybe someone should forget his own.
Good wader and good boots will cost you under $100- Cut your foot on an oyster = priceless !
0 0 1
Gibby3474

Post by Gibby3474 »

I wet-wade pretty much until the water gets too cold in mid-December. After that, I'm fishing other waters where wading isn't required.

I wear Sperry Ebb-Tide Mid Water Boot: http://www.sperrytopsider.com/store/Sit ... rched=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a great wading boot WITHOUT a zipper. I've found that shell and sand often render a zipper useless. These sell for about $50. I bought mine at Peltz Shoes. I know that Economy Tackle in Sarasota carries them.

They're well-constructed, comfortable and rugged.
Steve
www.kayakfishingsarasota.com
http://gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com/
NuCanoe Pursuit
NuCanoe Pro Staff
Aqua-Bound Pro Staff
strutzy

Post by strutzy »

That's excellent advice, thanks again to you all for your input. I have to look into those waist high ones i didn't know there was such a thing. Thanks again Mark
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

Rik wrote:ALWAYS leave the zipper halfway when storing them. That way you can work it both ways when it gets stuck.
Good stuff...
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

I've had my Scuba Pro's for over 5 years now and never once have I had an issue the zippers. These boots cost a little more but you get what you pay for. The very first pair I owned I once left on the rear bumper of my truck and didn't realize it until the next day. I went out and found them about 1/2 a mile from my house in the middle of Causeway Blvd. After being ran over repeatedly the zippers still worked with no problems until years later when my neighbors dog stole them and chewed them up.
Also, I failed to mention earlier the Scuba Pro's are much more comfortable then some others I've tried.
NATIVE Redfish14

Steve
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Yep, I definitely think the waist-hi is the way to go. I bought some made for Cabela's and have been extremely satisfied with their service. They have the sewn-in neoprene boots, so I ended up buying another set of wading boots just to use with them. You will need to get a slightly larger size to accommodate the boot. Maybe at least one or two size larger.
My main wading boots were made by Shimano. I have had them for over ten years and they still look phenomenal....the bad news is...I don't think they make them anymore. My extra pair is made by Calcutta. Had them now for 4yrs and they are still in good shape too. I am careful when I come back in. I always rinse them down really good, especially the zippers, and then I stick a wooden shim in the boot to make the ankle part stand up and allow the inside of the boot to dry out. And just like Rik suggests...pull that zipper about half-way up.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Rik

Post by Rik »

Tide1on wrote: never once have I had an issue the zippers.

But if you do, you will be very glad that you left the zipper halfway. The boots I have right now have never had a zipper get frozen. The halfway thing is just an "in case" measure that will greatly help you out in the event it does get frozen. You can get WD40 on both sides of the pull and you can work it back and forth.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

I do put them halfway up like you suggested. You're right, you never know.
NATIVE Redfish14

Steve
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I wet wade for most of my fishing year round, I do own waders chest high Simms, used them in Georgia and really got to like getting out of the water and being bone dry.

I wade alone almost exclusively (I don't fish well with others) shuffle your feet and don't worry about it.

There are many benefits to wading, over staying in the kayak/canoe.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton