Spring Kings

Flamingo to Big Bend
SnookBait

Spring Kings

Post by SnookBait »

What month would you guys say the Kingfish are in the Spring? I know in the fall October is pretty good but never tried during the spring migration.
Rik

Re: Spring Kings

Post by Rik »

Its not time, it's temperature. 70 degree water.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
SnookBait

Post by SnookBait »

So keep an eye on the gulf temps and that should be the key. Thanks sir!
SnookBait

Post by SnookBait »

One more question. I have heard that you should use a swivel when attaching your line to wire leader. What knot would be the best to use in order to connect the wire directly to either braid or mono?
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I use the Albright knot to connect mono or flouro to wire.
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

ChrisR wrote:I use the Albright knot to connect mono or flouro to wire.
X2
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
SnookBait

Post by SnookBait »

Would this work with Braid to Flouro to Wire? I know alot of guys use Mono but would Braid work as well? Also, how long of a Flouro would you use inbetween your line of choice to the wire?
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

For Kings, I use 40 lb braid, but put a 15'-20' piece of mono on to give it a little stretch. It has been my experience that its pretty easy to rip a hook out of a king's mouth, so its best to fish them with a relatively light drag, and some stretch in your line. It's also nice to be able to grab mono as opposed to braid when you try to land the fish. You can substitute flouro, but it won't stretch as much. I'm sure you can go braid srtaight to wire if you want. I'd probably tie a bimini in the braid, and then Albright the doubled braid to the wire.
SnookBait

Post by SnookBait »

I am using 40lb braid. For the 15' - 20' of mono what lb test would you recommend? If i'm using live bait what size hooks and would you use a cirlce or traditional "J" hook when making your stinger rig?
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I use 20 or 30 lb mono. remember, you'll be using a relatively light drag, so no need for anything too heavy. Hook size depends on the size of the bait you are planning on using. With smaller baits like spanish sardines or pinfish, you can go with a #1. For bigger like blue runner or lady fish, use 2/0-5/0 depending on the size of the bait. I use J hooks. I've never tried with circle hooks.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Braid to mono to wire, you don't need the floro but, you can if you want to I guess.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
SnookBait

Post by SnookBait »

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Captain Hugh

Post by Captain Hugh »

When I fished for kings 30 yrs ago we rigged mono on reel to a large ball bearing swivel to single strand wire to a j hook where we attached bait fish. from the swivel we attached another foot of wire with a treble hook. When king a strikes back half of bait he slides down the wire to the treble hook. Nearly all of the hundreds of kings we caught were on the treble hook.
"There was a very cautious man, who never laughed or cried. He never risked, he never lost, he never won nor tried. And when he one day passed away, his insurance was denied, For since he never really lived, they claimed he never died