GPS/Fishfinder

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
bjbg8r

GPS/Fishfinder

Post by bjbg8r »

Howdy Everyone! I hope that all of you are enjoying this AWESOME weather! I wanted to see what recommendations you would have for a GPS/Fishfinder Combo that would fit on a kayak. Durability and battery life are paramount. Inexpensiveness (if that's even a word) is also of importance. Have a great day everyone!
Brian

-(2) Hurricane Phoenix 130 Kayaks

"When good men fail to act, evil men will act with evil results."
strutzy

Re: GPS/Fishfinder

Post by strutzy »

Check out Humminbird, I have one, can't remember the model but they make one that works great. Just had to buy a new battery but that was only 30.00
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: GPS/Fishfinder

Post by jbdba01 »

I may be speaking out of line , but from what I've observed most folks in the Tampa area do not use a gps/fishfinder in their kayak.

Do a search on GPS in this forum and you'll find a variety of threads.

I have a handheld that I've used once or twice (I did need it in Doublebranch). If you go to a new area of groves and think you'll get lost take all lefts, then on the way back take all rights. Be ware of areas with 3/4 exits/entrances.

I have a hummingbird 598 in my powerboat with side imaging; so far I really like it. At $800 it's on the lower end for side imaging, but you can get a good color down imaging one (Lowrance or Humminbird) for < $400. Personally I think the side imaging is worth it. Search on 598 in this forum and you'll find my thoughts on the unit.

That said I have a hard time seeing the unit in my kayak. KISS

Your eyes (observing birds, water looking diff..) and environment awareness (tides, weather...) are much more important.

If you are looking to mark a spot, use a smart phone with the gps unit on. Take a pic of the area and the gps info will be embedded in the pic. Course this is equally true for when you post the pic - anyone can download the photo and get the gps info embedded. I'm sure there are some apps for managing spots.

My personal thoughts are unless you're in "deep" water (>5') is to skip the unit.
JB