Maiden Voyage of New Slayer 14.5

Flamingo to Big Bend
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Maiden Voyage of New Slayer 14.5

Post by Manning »

On Tuesday I took my first fishing trip with my new Slayer 14.5. It was looking like the gods were smiling on my new craft as the weather was the best I had seen in quite awhile. There was zero wind and the fog was just lifting as I launched. Here is a shot I took just as the sun started to break through the clouds and fog. When was the last time you saw the water look like that.

The first hour or so it was slow going. Although the weather conditions were perfect the tide was not moving and there was very little fish activity to be found. About 8:30 that all changed. I found a school of mullet and reds that were coming in from the bay to the flats. On the first cast of my spook jr. I got a big follow. The red was coming right out of the water and gulping at my lure. How it missed it I will never know. On the next cast I got a big hit and this time I was hooked up. I started put some pressure on the fish and pop went my braid. Rather than just grab another rod I decided to put a leader back on the broken line. Just as I was finishing up the new leader I notice something white floating on the surface of the glassy water about 25 yards in front of me. I paddled over and there was my spook jr., leader and about 20 feet of line. I have the barbs mashed down on the hooks on the spook and the fish must have shaken it lose. I cut off the old line and put it on my new leader. A couple casts later it was game on again. It felt like a good fish. Made some nice runs stripping off line as it went. Then, nothing! The lure came back covered in grass. The fish must have gone down in the grass and scrubbed off the lure.

Now I wasn't so sure the gods were smiling on my new boat, but I was really sure the gods were not happy with my spook jr. so I put it away and got out a MirroLure Little John on an 1/8 oz. jig. After 5 or 10 minutes with the new lure my efforts were rewarded with this nice 25 in red. I christened the new boat with fish slime by laying the fish in the bottom of the boat for the picture.

After that I was not able to find the reds again. I managed to catch a small jack and that was it. I went home calling my first trip with the new kayak a winner.
Last edited by Manning on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Re: Maiden Voyage of Kayak

Post by sfurman »

Nice, I need a new boat, I should go to the demo but, I am not sure I will be in town. :(
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Rik

Re: Maiden Voyage of Kayak

Post by Rik »

sfurman wrote: I should go to the demo but, I am not sure I will be in town. :(
Let me guess....turkey hunting?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
jaeforceone

Re: Maiden Voyage of New Slayer 14.5

Post by jaeforceone »

nice Red!

I wish that battery box had a hinge so you could put dry storage in it. instead it's a fixed, screwed lid. Do you plan on taking off the bungee for the front tackle box? I could see it getting in the way of fly fishing if that's your thing.
Native Manta Ray 14 Sand
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Right now I don't see removing the front bungee cord. I am not a fly fisherman so that is not an issue. I think that when I fish PF Challenge series events I will stick the measuring up there and hold it in place with the bungee. I will tell you that so far I have not snagged it with any lures. On my old Ultimate I had the front spray skirt which has a mesh pocket at the bow. I was constantly getting lures snagged in that thing. The bungees on the new boat are just a little farther back.

i am also surprised that they do not have some quick release set up for that dry box cover. I don't plan to use it so it is not an issue for me, but if you were going to mount electronics and a battery those screws would be a pain.

Steve
FLfishchaser

Post by FLfishchaser »

Congrats !!! I just picked up my new Slayer last Sunday. So far i have installed an anchor trolley, paddle holder, and LED light under the seat. I have to swing by Economy Tackle this week and pick up my Rudder. I'll be splashing it tomorrow eve and hopefully be getting some fish slime on it.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

FLfishchaser wrote:Congrats !!! I just picked up my new Slayer last Sunday. So far i have installed an anchor trolley, paddle holder, and LED light under the seat. I have to swing by Economy Tackle this week and pick up my Rudder. I'll be splashing it tomorrow eve and hopefully be getting some fish slime on it.

I have owned 3 kayaks now and have not had a rudder on any of them. At this point I don't think I need one, but I may not know what I am missing. LED light under the seat? Tell me more about that. What is it for, safety when fishing at night or some other purpose.

Steve