Which Gold Spoon ?

Heywood

Re: Which Gold Spoon ?

Post by Heywood »

The Johnson Spoon's are straight money. :cool:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

EastOWeedon wrote:OK, I'm on board with the Johnson, it's what I use, and have success with. But the finish on mine don't last very long. Is there something I'm not doing that would help solve that problem?
I like 'em when they get like this...enough finish to flash, but not too much. Replace hook as needed. I use a red treble hook - mainly because that was all I had. I yank the red tag. No real reason...just what I do.

JB
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

EastOWeedon wrote:
OK, I'm on board with the Johnson, it's what I use, and have success with. But the finish on mine don't last very long. Is there something I'm not doing that would help solve that problem?
Grab some clear nail polish from Mama, wife , girlfriend etc. booger in a little glitter VOILA
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

AquaDream. Love that thing and I generally don't like using spoons.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

I'm not really a spoon fan, except for trolling offshore
But I have started to be more comfortable and successful using spoons

I like the capt mikes / aquadream spoons

so spoons - Add and swivel or not.
I used both spoons on saturday one I added the swivel and one one swivel - not wind knots not issues either way

Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
Rik

Post by Rik »

I used a swivel because Capt Mike Hakala, the guy who makes the spoons, suggests it. I used the tiny SPRO swivels. 50 pound test and you almost need a magnifying glass to rig them.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

I had the same super small swivel, which i dropped and lost it.

If Capt. Mike say use a swivel that is good effort for me

but what about the Johnson spoons would you add a split ring and the swivel or not Swivel ??
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
Rik

Post by Rik »

Paul wrote:but what about the Johnson spoons would you add a split ring and the swivel or not Swivel ??
Never have on the Silver Minnow model. Always do on the Sprite
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
scuba steve

Post by scuba steve »

I am torn actually. The johnson is a classic and always will be but I have been on a an Aqua Dream kick lately and I have found some neat little tricks you can do with an Aqua Dream spoon that you wouldn't be able to do with a johnson spoon.
Always remember, be safe, do what you love, and love what you do!!!
Gibby3474

Post by Gibby3474 »

scuba steve wrote:I am torn actually. The johnson is a classic and always will be but I have been on a an Aqua Dream kick lately and I have found some neat little tricks you can do with an Aqua Dream spoon that you wouldn't be able to do with a johnson spoon.
Please elaborate.
Steve
www.kayakfishingsarasota.com
http://gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com/
NuCanoe Pursuit
NuCanoe Pro Staff
Aqua-Bound Pro Staff
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Been shopping around for the AquaDreams locally here in Ft. Lauderdale are to no avail....

Swivel sounds like a great idea, other than adding additional hardware perhaps of a different color. I seldom used spoons, athough I have several in the box, due to the spinning issue. MPO is if they need a swivel the designer should have put one on there.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

krash wrote:Been shopping around for the AquaDreams locally here in Ft. Lauderdale are to no avail....

Swivel sounds like a great idea, other than adding additional hardware perhaps of a different color. I seldom used spoons, athough I have several in the box, due to the spinning issue. MPO is if they need a swivel the designer should have put one on there.
Go to his website and order there...that's what I had to do. Spro swivels are the ones to use...#8 is the size. A bag of 50 is about 10.00. At least he does include the split ring. Personally I think it is THE best spoon bar none.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Johnson Silver Minnow, 1/4 or 1/2oz although i prefer silver over gold, I've fished aquadream recently side by side with the Johnson, two rods rigged up at once, it didn't out fish the Johnson, but it sure did put a lot of twist in the line, its action is more like an inline spinner than a spoon, so definitely needs a swivel.

I like to keep it simple, so I'll stick with the Johnson, I'll also stick with Silver and if you wanna speed up the catching, take a little 220 grit sand paper to it and clean off some of that shine, then coat with Clear nail polish or some two part liquid epoxy.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Thx for all the replies... the last one says it all.

As a kid and that was long ago, you had only 3 lures in your salt box Red/White Mirrorlure, Gold Johnson Spoon, Yellow Bucktail jig. I guess that logic still hold true.

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Very true, I have 5 different lures in my box has:
Mirrolure Top Dog jr. Green back white Belly
Johnson Silver Minnow Spoon
1/8 oz Mission Jig head with 3" DOA paddletail Avocado Red
1/8 oz weighted Worm Hook with 12 Fathom Buzztail Avocado Red
Yo-Zuri SS Minnow Black Back Silver Body.

If they ain't eating any of those I ain't catching them :mrgreen:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton