Does anyone know of a river that you can....

Flamingo to Big Bend
SnookBait

Does anyone know of a river that you can....

Post by SnookBait »

Paddle for a weekend and camp along the shore? Would like something brakish so that I can do a little Snook Fishing.
floridalawdog

Re: Does anyone know of a river that you can....

Post by floridalawdog »

I have been wondering the same thing.
Rik

Post by Rik »

I can give you some places to start looking. Many rivers have not really legal but often used campsites. If you're one that doesn't like getting rousted at 2 am, check these links. While they offer organized trips for a cost you can also dig out info to put your own together.

http://Www.paddleflorida.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (be sure to click on "link to others" as there is a long list if links)

http://www.floridapaddlingtrails.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - this one is pretty comprehensive.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Pip

Post by Pip »

There is a campground next to or in Snook Haven on the Myakka. Also, you should be able to camp along the upper portions near Sleeping Turtle Preserve. There is also park called Laurel (Road) Park that has a canoe access, but check to see if they allow overnight parking.

The Chassahowitzska River is a good option too. There is a nice campground there. Its not too long of a paddle and you're in some good areas. Nice springs to check out too..."the Crack" is pretty cool.

Hope this helps.

Phillip
Jackson Kayak Fishing Team
Orion Coolers
Bending Branches
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Not Brackish, but the Suwannee has lots of camping site along its shores.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

You can also camp at some parks that have river access -

Koreshan near Ft. Myers in on the Estero river and offers good access to Estero Bay.

Jonathan Dickinson near Jupiter is on the Loxahatchee river, which is a very special river, and one where it is possible to catch all 4 species of Snook, Common, Fat, Swordspine and Tarpon Snook.

Tomoka Park is on the Halifax and Tomoka rivers, great camp site with water access.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
cag215

Post by cag215 »

The Myakka State Forest map shows a primitive camp ground and a canoe launch....never been there, so I don't know the details.

http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreatio ... orest.html
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut".
Ernest Hemingway
Pip

Post by Pip »

I forgot to mention the Peace River. I've caught shook as far north as Ft Meade. There are plenty of places to camp You can start at Zolfo Springs and float down to Arcadia and beyond.

The Peace River canoe Outpost can give you plenty of info

http://canoeoutpost.com/Peace/showpage. ... =overnight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jackson Kayak Fishing Team
Orion Coolers
Bending Branches