drinking beer while Kayaking

kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

I paddle a Phoenix 160, so if I loaded a single air matress up with a fine imported brew and dumped iced on top of it inside the hull, then ran a Camelback hose up through the access port behind the seat,....THEN hook up my MP3 to the waterproof speakers..........I wouldn't ..........uh.......FISH!! :lol: :D 8) I would NEVER think of doing something like THAT!!! :roll: :wink: :twisted:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
trash.can.slam

Post by trash.can.slam »

loukiii wrote:Do they still sell party balls? Im sure you could put a party ball in your tankwell and fill the box up with ice, run a hose over your shoulder and clip it to your collar like one of those camelbak deals.
That is fantastic! Kayak people really do go above and beyond when it comes to creativity.
Walt

Post by Walt »

trash.can.slam wrote:
loukiii wrote:Do they still sell party balls? Im sure you could put a party ball in your tankwell and fill the box up with ice, run a hose over your shoulder and clip it to your collar like one of those camelbak deals.
That is fantastic! Kayak people really do go above and beyond when it comes to creativity.
If you had a catheter, with a hose running to the scupper, you would be all set.
ettienne

Post by ettienne »

If you had a catheter, with a hose running to the scupper, you would be all set.
:lol:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill
Willie T
Location: St. Petersburg Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.

Post by Willie T »

I've driven humvees, so of course I wouldn't own one unless it was given to me free. But I understand why people drive them. It's because they CAN.

I've snuck around to have a beer.... when I was fourteen. But I was fourteen. Why someone, an adult, would consider deliberately skirting legal prohibitions on doing anything is a bit beyond my comprehension. Not that I know of any laws against paddling while drinking. But playing "I got away with it"???? I'm not fourteen anymore.

If you choose to drink on the water, openly salute the FWC boys with your upraised can, and paddle on.

But why even consume alcohol on the water? Is it something you cannot do without? We all know the bull about how nothing else quenches thirst as well is bunk. Is it just because you WANT to?

Well then why not do all the other things you WANT to?

I honestly would think that the simple understanding that you might put yourself and others at risk due to faulty judgement would be enough to take all the questions out of the scenario.

I drank while I drove when I was still a kid. Why don't I do it now? Why don't you. Or do you? It's kind of the same thing to me. What's the point of adding any unnecessary risk to an activity? And I mean legal or not.

That, in itself is a hoot. We bitch and moan about legal restrictions. Yet we seem to want, (and maybe need?), some regulatory agency to pass laws before we can think for ourselves about choosing the wiser path.

I think I would stand at the launch point, and seriously ask myself, "Why do I feel I have to take this along?"
Willie T
St. Petersburg
[email protected]

"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

ettienne wrote:
:lol:

That is the great thing about my old Wilderness Freedom!, The ONE large scupper is right in front of the seat, so if you got up a good head of steam, the "water" going done the hole would spin just like a mini toilet!! :lol: :lol: 8)
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Groupdog

Post by Groupdog »

Mr. Willie T, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Woah woah woah ... Guys.
I'm just like you. I put my pants on one leg at a time.
except, once my pants are on, I make gold records.

more cowbell
Willie T
Location: St. Petersburg Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.

Post by Willie T »

Perhaps, Dog, when you begin to mature past the age of fourteen, you'll understand a bit more. :D
Willie T
St. Petersburg
[email protected]

"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Groupdog

Post by Groupdog »

LOL... i dont think anyone understands your message aesop. Then combine that with your signature quote and wow.. :lol:
Woah woah woah ... Guys.
I'm just like you. I put my pants on one leg at a time.
except, once my pants are on, I make gold records.

more cowbell
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

All this over the choice of having a beer on the kayak? :shock: Even though I choose not to partake while I'm out fishing, I REALLY have not heard any news headlines of "DRUNKEN KAYAKER GOES ON HIT AND PADDLE RAMPAGE!!!! Sir!. I need you to paddle over here to the yellow grass line and hold your chin in the air while paddling a straight Mangrove line!! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<SDFT><{
Hornetbear

Post by Hornetbear »

Who cares. Drink your face off.

Nobody ever took out a family of four in a kayak. Period.

Total non issue. Some people seem to think that fishing out of a kayak is like climbing mount everest. It's not. It is about as physically and mentally demanding as rearranging couch pillows.
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Hornetbear wrote:Who cares. Drink your face off.

Nobody ever took out a family of four in a kayak. Period.

Total non issue. Some people seem to think that fishing out of a kayak is like climbing mount everest. It's not. It is about as physically and mentally demanding as rearranging couch pillows.
I take it you have never paddled Flamingo, Fl out into the middle of Snake Bite and an unexpected Thunderstorm blows up. :shock: :o
<SDFT><{
wthoms2000

Re: drinking beer while Kayaking

Post by wthoms2000 »

Hi, new here... Interesting on the judgement on drinking..... Good thing we aren't talking about carrying guns on kayaks...

I found in Oregon, No alcohol:

Boating, Alcohol and the Law
Most boat operators recognize that boat operation and alcohol consumption can be a deadly mix. What some may not realize, however, is that operating a boat while under the influence of alcohol is a crime in Oregon. The legal consequences for those convicted of breaking this law are severe. In Oregon, a boat operator with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 or more is considered to be under the influence. Any boater convicted of boating under the influence will be subject to the following penalties:
• fines of up to $5,000 and/or up to a year in jail;
• must complete a boating safety education class;
• loss of boat operation privileges for one year;
• have boat registrations suspended for up to three years.
The law also applies to non-motorized
craft such as rafts, kayaks, and canoes.

linky: http://www.oregon.gov/osmb/library/docs/boatalcohol.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In California:
BUI Exempt Vessels and Watercraft
Watercraft such as kayaks, canoes, motorless rafts, and other self-propelled vessels are exempt from boating under the influence laws. In contrast, waterskis, innertubes, and similar devices used while being pulled from a boat DO subject the skiier to the standard BAC limit of .08%. A waterskiier with a .09% BAC while being propelled from a boat is as susceptible to a BUI arrest as if he or she was actually driving the boat. Any craft or sailboat equipped with a motor, regardless of horsepower, falls under (San Diego's) DUI - BUI laws.

Linky to CA DMV Harbors & Navigation Code 655: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/appnd ... nav655.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just be responsible, if it sounds like trouble then maybe it is!
Ump608

Post by Ump608 »

Holy Crap! All I could think of at the end of this thread was the famous "Uncle Hulka" and I quote " Lighten up, Francis"
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

No law against it, if you want to drink a beer, go ahead, if you dont thats fine fine too, but why castigate someone for doing something thats perfectly legal is beyond me Francis
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
kmeng

Post by kmeng »

If you're looking to have a few beers while paddling, have at it. But like anything, keep it in moderation. That being said, I love my "bait well" in my Malibu stealth. It'll hold a twelver with ice too.
Do what you love, love what you do, and most of all, love life.

"Don't seek to follow the footsteps of the masters, seek what they sought"
Native Ultimate 14.5 Solo in Olive