Cayo Costa & Boca Grande

Cayo Costa & Boca Grande

Post by 13 »

Me & a buddy of mine are going to be camping out on Cayo Costa for a couple nights soon. Plan on fishing the whole three days we will be there, but neither of us have ever been. Think we will be leaving the kayaks at home for this trip & taking the boat instead.

Anyone have any pointers for us? Neither of us have ever been there & I am STILL waiting to jump my first tarpon. As small as our boat is & since neither of us have much experience with them, we will be staying out of the pass. Any bait recommendations or hot spots would be eternally appreciated.
Knightro10

Re: Cayo Costa & Boca Grande

Post by Knightro10 »

Net some pass crabs that are readily available floating through the pass and free line on a large circle hook at night .... Drift from the phosphate docks out to the bell marker and back ... Day time fishing deep takes skill as u need to mark your line and reel up and down with the bottom as to not get snagged ... Night free line best bet for a newbie... Jigging is always an option but local guides hate jiggers and will possible throw egg weights at ur boat so stick with crabs !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by 13 »

Perfect! Thanks for the heads up. Have heard the horror stories about all the people that take fishing way more seriously than me, so definitely trying to stay out of everyone's way. Hoping to find some snook during the morning, maybe get lucky with some smaller tarpon in the flats & surrounding areas.

Everything I have ever heard about fishing there says crabs are the only way to go, so can't argue with that either. Now if we could just get some nice weather & 5-10 winds.....
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

No need to even get close to he pass. Plenty of Tarpon farther back in the bay. Look at some charts and look for some deeper water in the middle of the harbor.
0 0 1
Evan

Post by Evan »

The campground is located about a mile from the docks, and the shuttle bus only runs from 9am to 5pm, so bring bikes or at least comfortable shoes, since you'll be making the trip at least twice per day. May also want to bring locks for your outboard and push pole since they'll be unattended all night.

Bring your own firewood if you can, the stuff they sell on the island is expensive and poor quality.

Make some time for a cheeseburger on Cabbage Key. It's a corny tourist trap but still worth the trip. Keep your eyes open for good fishing spots along the way.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Like Evan said the campground and the ferry landing is a mile away. Leave the boat and just fish the beach. Oh and make sure you bring a five number pad lock for your cooler and food stores the raccoons can crack a 4 number tumbler. You also may want to stake it to the ground at night.
Credo quia absurdum
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

Bug supplies or pray for wind!
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Might try looking for fish along the beach on either side of the pass. When you see a school you will probably have them all to yourself. Cork rod, with pins, crabs, or greenies.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.

Post by 13 »

Thanks, everyone! Really looking forward to the trip, despite the change in weather reports. Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst. Hopefully I will have some good pics & some video with the GoPro to post.
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

Johnson Shoals runs right along Cayo Costa and is a really good tarpon spot. It is on most maps and it is clear of the pass traffic.