Redfish

stevehardt

Redfish

Post by stevehardt »

I wanted to pick everyone's brain...

If you were going out to get Redfish in Manatee County, where would you go and what bait would you use?

Thanks

Steve
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Re: Redfish

Post by sfurman »

I would look for areas that have oyster shells and grass near by and throw a gold spoon till my arm fell off.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

Here's a good place to start - http://www.mymanatee.org/home/governmen ... natee.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Study the Palma Sola Bay trail map 1. Launch points #5 and #6 should work. For direction, fish towards the launch you didn't use. If you're adventurous, head into Perico Bayou but make sure there is enough water.

Find the grass, find the potholes, find the oyster bars.

Start with a Zara Spook Jr. in bone color, then follow Steve's advice about the gold spoon reeling it just fast enough to not get snagged.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

I agree with the bone colored spook jr. I also agree on the gold spoon for everyone but me, I can't seem to catch a Red on a gold spoon for anything. I would add to the arsenal a mirrolure lil'John with an 1/8 red jig head. Good Luck
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

DOA CAL 3" in mangrove red on 1/8" oz Mission jig head, that's all you'll ever need for Redfish right there, although you also should try some Exude Funky chickens, them Redfish sure do love them Funky Chickens
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
rich

Post by rich »

I would have to agree with John but I also would try the gold glitter and red gold glitter shad tail by doa. If the grass is thick try a steady retrieve keeping right above the grass the trout and reds will come up and smack it as it goes by.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I like both those colors to Rich in fact they're the only 3 colors I buy of those tails. Also I fish them with a steady retrieve just ticking off the bottom or over the grass. Just like fishing a spoon.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Angler X

Post by Angler X »

good morning my paddle fishing friends and Johnster.

it been a ways sence ive been here to visit with yall but Im glad Johnster brought up them funky chickens cuz I just got back from the ISCAT fishing show and I have great news now that I can tell yall. I been usin them funky chickens for so long that they done give me a pro staff badge fer my fishin shirt and stickers for my truck and a big box full of them funky chickens that I won't have to buy any more fer a long time which is reely good cuz my wifes hat busness has been reely slow since them coons are durn near gone away fer good around here and the ones they is around here have reely scratchy fur which dont make fer a very smooth fitting cap. They tell me if I keep posting picures of them fish I catch on them funky chikcens theys gonna give me one a dem fancy shirts from south american with all the pockets and air holes and it will have my name sown on it right above one of dem pockets and one of dem pockets will hold a bag of funky chikcens so I can keep them close to my hart.

After they gave me that pro staff badge for my fishing shirt at ISCAT I pinned it on with a pin I got in that little sowing kit in my hotel room and walked around showing it to everyone and telling them how good them funky chikcnes is sos I could get me more pro staff badges sos I could then got git me a busyness card with Angler X kayak fishng guide on it sos I could make a lot of money taking peeple fishin and showing them how good them funky chickens is when they cast them out and reel them back in any place there is redfish.

So I was talking with one of them surf board companiees that now say you don't use them in waves but on flat water and you use a paddle with them and some people are fishing off them surf boards and they saw my pro staff badge and wanted me to fish from theyr surf board and they even sayed theyd give me one of them surf boards if I was a pro staff for them so I said sure why not so they said lets go try it out so we did but they keep calling it a sup or something but I guess thats just something they call marketing. Well my paddle fishing friends and Johnster I tried it and it aint easy at tall but they said I would get used to it but they did take some pictures of me on that surf board so I will show you

Here's a pic of a guy who was trying like me to be a pro staff for this surf bored companie. He did much better then me but its cuz he spent a lot of time with the teecher that is standing next to him. That teecher dun love that surf board company so much she done got the name of it tattood on her chest but you have to look reel close to read it wich I did.

I really lernt a lot at ISCAT but I ain't gonna use nuthin but funky chickens for my lure cuz them redfsih shore do love them funky chickens.

Angler X
Angler X Fishing Guide Service and Pro Staff
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

my paddle fishing friends and Johnster

That put me in my place didn't it
Last edited by John on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Good to see X back in town!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Angler X

Post by Angler X »

John wrote:
my paddle fishing friends and Johnster

That put me in my place didn't it
Daer my paddle-fishing friend Johnster,

I hope I dint git your nose all twitchy cuz I aint the best at this grammer thing and you being the Guvner and all sos I thought you shuld have a special recugnision and I apologiz for not doing it before but hey didn't you used to be in the flounder club on this site cuz i thought it used to say flounder club under yur name and in case you dint know I love flounder and they like them funky chickens almost as much as them redfish do sos maybe we could go out and catch us sum sum time.

oh and I gots that teecher name and phone number if you wants sum lessons and want to read her tattoo up close.

Angler X
Angler X Fishing Guide Service and Pro Staff
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

I was only kidding about throwing your arm off, but reel that gold spoon sloooow. As mentioned above just fast enough to keep it off the bottom and out of the weeds.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve