If you can HEAR thunder.....

H2Oz

If you can HEAR thunder.....

Post by H2Oz »

When the bad heat sets in, or the wind's up too much, I tend to spend less time on the salt, and fish quite a bit in a one-mile radius or so of the confluence of the Withlacoochee and the Rainbow, usually launching well before first light. Good wind shelter in SOME places, and a lot of pretty mean little bass (an occasional lunker, but they all fight like hell).

Sometimes I wind up staying late into the day, and it's been my longstanding policy to haul butt at the very first sound of thunder.

One day last week, however, when the growlers started rolling in from the east coast, I made a few more casts (OK, OK, maybe a LOT more), THEN headed back down the 'Cooch. But by the time I had reached the US41 bridge, there was a pretty intense one bearing down fast on the launch site, and the strikes were getting close. So I had two options: haul out at the launch -- directly next to the bridge, right next to an aluminum floating dock and directly under a gigantic oak; or anchor up under the bridge itself (108 feet wide, solid concrete, pretty low overhead, and a forest of concrete pilings). So I got in the shallows midway under the south side of the bridge, with a row of pilings between me and the two main channels (in case some rain-blinded bassboat jockey was making for the launch in his rocket sled), took the spare rods out of the vertical rod holders behind me and laid them down in the boat, switched on the C-light and anchored up on a short rode.

I picked up a 5-foot ultralight spinner and started sequentially working the gaps between the nearest row of pilings with a Rapala Original Floating Minnow (F05S, for you sticklers). Third gap in drew a vicious strike from a (roughly) two-pounder who promptly (a) did an excellent impersonation of a tailwalking meth freak, and (b) spit the crushed-barb trebles right back at me. I have to give him an A+ for timing. For those of you who have never had the simultaneous pleasure of tiny trebles whistling at your head at the exact same moment when the world turns electric blue and God sets off a garbage-can-sized concussion grenade nearby, my dear old daddy used to describe the feeling as: "You couldn't have driven a hatpin up my ass with a sledgehammer." That ol' boy could turn a phrase.

Judging from the skidding tires on the lanes overhead (and a few interestingly-strung-together and not entirely unappreciative oaths heard to waft shortly thereafter from the tin-roofed marina nearby), it was properly appreciated by mariners and landlubbers alike.

The reason I mention all this, is as a modest (though admittedly anecdotal) contribution to The Compendium of All Kayakfishing Safety Syllogisms: "Well, just one more cast!" is not necessarily compatible with "It's time to get out of Dodge!"

[small]Also, Rik said we should post more.[/small] :roll:

Love,

Ol' Sarge

Re: If you can HEAR thunder.....

Post by snooker56 »

Good story. Good advice!
"Bugman" Tom

Heritage Redfish 14
Chevy Silverado
Rik

Post by Rik »

Thanks Sarge. While your Daddy could turn a phrase, you ain't that bad at turning a story.

You're safe from those pictures I mentioned.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Where the hell is the like button on this thing? Well good story and better you than me.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
jgharris01

Post by jgharris01 »

Very good story Sarge.

Moving back towards Ocala (from Ft Myers...) soon. Used to fish that area alot in my kayak. Made me laugh cause I can close my eyes and see the bridge and the big oak tree next to the boat ramp/kayak launch there even though I haven't launched there in over 6 years...
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

When you hear Thunder it's to late, seek shelter fast... most people struk and injured/killed by a lightning strike are hit from a bolt 20 miles away or farther.. and the thunder actually comes long time after the actual strike hits the grounded object, or what ever object is between the source and the electrical ground.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
rich

Post by rich »

Great story I felt like I was under that bridge with you.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Lightning travels at....the speed of light. Thunder, the speed of sound. That's why if you see a flash you can count a mile for every seven seconds til you hear the thunder.
Had lightning hit a date palm bout 25' away from me last year. All I remember is loud, bright and why am I on my knees in the water. Next day had burns on both of my feet, they were in the rain runoff.
About 12-15 years ago several kids were killed at Gibbs H.S. by a lightning strike from a storm 12 miles away.
If you can see it, if you can hear it, it can touch you.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?