Getting ready to Backslide....

Out of 10 trips, how many are "skunky" with arti's only??

2 or less, I should have my own TV show.
60%
3-5, I guess I'm average.
25%
5-7, I'm thinking about a stripe tattoo on my back
6%
8 and up, I bit myself just to remember what it feels like.
8%

Total votes: 48

DayFisher

Getting ready to Backslide....

Post by DayFisher »

It's getting to that point.
Maybe there are those that can spend what little time they can allot during the week doing alot more "fishing" than "catching".
Maybe I'm the only one that is "skunking" alot more trips than I'm enjoying, I don't know.
I know, I know, "Catching fish is the icing on the cake, enjoy the surroundings and being on the water".
That is wearing pretty thin.
Contrary to the way it sounds, This isn't a "Bi+ch and Moan" post.
I think I'm going to try live bait again for awhile, just to relight the spark.
I never had this problem with the livies.
I saw that snappy looking livewell, I believe "cubs83" had on his yak. Maybe I'll make one of those.
With the days getting hotter earlier what time I get to "wet a line" I want to spend "catching" and baking, not baking and bitching.
Honestly, Is it just me??
Keith
Hauling Dead Dinosaurs for Your Vehicles Consumptive Delight to a Gas Station near You!!
DayFisher
islander

Post by islander »

Expect a pm from NarcSgt in T MINUS 5...4...3...2...1... :o
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
Gator

Post by Gator »

Don't get too discouraged Dayfisher. We've all had those skunk days. Shoot, some of us have gone on skunk streaks (not me of course :oops: ). For me, sometimes catching fish is the icing on the cake. I love to get on the water just to clear my head and recharge. I do challenge myself every trip to beat the skunk, and land that 40" Snook that has been eluding me for years now. I'm lucky enough to say that those skunk days for me are few, but unfortunately so are those stellar days. Last year I went on a 3 trip skunk and thought I completely lost my touch. There was no good reason, I just couldn't catch a dare thing :? .

I'm strictly and arti guy but I'm not against live bait at all. If live bait is your thing, have at it and enjoy yourself. Just don't give up on artificial's just yet. They're quite rewarding. I may fish live bait if it was a little easier to get a hold of. I don't want to buy shrimp on each trip. Rigging a livewell, searching for and catching live bait wastes too much of the little fishing time I have. I have though used shrimp when I take my son out fishing cause he likes it. But our better days have come on artificial's. Who knows, maybe my shrimp wasn't rigged right. Anyway, don't give up. Your big day may be just around the corner.

Also, use the search button and look up any questions you have about artificial's. There is alot of great info on here from some good angler's. If you can't find your answer there, then post your question. You won't be short on replies.
"We are the people our parents warned us about."-Jimmy Buffett
Les Lammers

Post by Les Lammers »

There are times when artys work great and then there are times when fish will take nothing but live. Use what works best for you.

Here is something to consider. Cut up some shrimp into small pieces put them in a jar of table salt making sure they are well covered and coated with the salt put the lid on and let they dry completely. Use the pieces to tip jigs. The scent is there and the dried shrimp will stay on the hook longer than fresh.
Last edited by Les Lammers on Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cubs83

Post by cubs83 »

We use live bait offshore, but artificials is soo much easier for the inshore fishes.

Before the offshore fish started showing up this year, in 4 or 5 inshore trips in a row I might have caught one redfish and one snook total. I was fed up...but stick with it and it will turn around.

I put up a livewell post, if you want to make a livewell, this is an easy way to make one...
trans·plant 
–verb (used with object)
1. to remove (a plant) from one place and plant it in another.
2. to move from one place to another.
3. to bring (a family, colony, etc.) from one country, region, etc., to another for settlement; relocate.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://cybermessageboard.ehost.com/paddlef/viewtopic.php?t=1

Post by Norm »

KEITH :!: Keep your chin up big guy :wink: Your not alone. I have had my share of Skunk Streaks...just have to persevere and fish your way thru them. Alot of it can just be bad or tough conditions. If the fish arent hungry or turned on, it wont matter what you throw at them.
Mauso1 and I fished yesterday at Weedon...Full Moon time and High Tide...all we came home with were sore muscles. It wasnt for lack of trying or necessarily bad technique.
I think it was Woody Gore's son pulled right up where we were fishing..he went to slinging the usual white bait with his wiffel bat...Zero, Zip, Nada. We went all the way to Christmas Pass, even found must have been 50 or more snook hanging in the edge of the channel under the mangrove...they just werent eating. So timing is as much to do with it as what type of bait your using. I didnt catch anything, but I still learned some things. Im just out of cinq I suppose... a touch of the Krappy Karma :roll: This too shall pass 8)

Norm
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Hornetbear

Post by Hornetbear »

use an ivory gulp swimming mullet with a really light red jig head. cant miss. never fails. Reel it really slow. picture in your head it just grazing the bottom. Think good, positive thoughts. I also believe if you catch a lizardfish or a sting ray you didn't get skunked.
Chris.G

Post by Chris.G »

NO!. I am THE Skunk KING.

BOW DOWN BEFORE ME
Giant- size
~ Good friends will come and bail you out of jail...Best friends will be sitting next to you saying, "Man, that was fun."~
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

There have been more skunks than fish caught for NOTE anglers lately. It doesn't seem to mater if we use arti or live, there just aren't the opportunities like there were a few years ago. Our fishing grounds up here are well documented on the Internet and heavily used.
Before giving in to the live bait urge, I would try the uncharted and less traveled fisheries south of the Skyway. Plenty of good arti fishing still down there if you can find the good areas to put in.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
catchusum

Post by catchusum »

yozuri crystal minnow with a rapid retrieve. Might not catch too many reds, but everything else will kill it. Good luck
7/0/0
NarcSgt

Free

Post by NarcSgt »

Free Skunk avatars by NarcSgt
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

The heck with keeping a stiff upper lip. I had to get the 1.5 week skunk off of me. I went to the waaaaay dark side yesterday and today and had a blast doing it. Boats with MOTORS yesterday and today.

Lots of Macs yesterday. Today --- LIVE BAIT and woo-damn-hoo: caught grouper, slot reds, slam, and a georgeous 38.5" snook gal that weighed between 20 and 25 lbs. Some times you just gotta do all that you can to get the skunk off.

I'll be back the kayakfishing with artis when this rain passes.
LHolman

Post by LHolman »

Hang in there buddy, Everyone goes through these every now and then. Keep on fishing :D

Larry
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

I always looks at the skunk periods as learning oppurtunity's. I'm 100% arti's and when the fish aint biting I just search out new areas and new tecniques. Some have different expectations, even if I catch just 1 fish per outing i'd rather be useing arti's and my skills then a baits skills. It's just more rewarding to me.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Ask yourself this when you go out:

Am I having fun?

If the answer is Yes then why are you keeping score?

Some people think that angling is a competition. I think angling is a way of life and just as in life it is not the destination it is the journey. Think of yourself blessed to be out on the water and seeing the wonders of the world not as the cursed because you have not caught a fish that day. Too many people tend to equate a day of not catching a fish as a failure instead of a day that has enriched their lives and count it as a great victory.

Sincerely the kinder and gentiler Buc.

PS has anyone else ever tried peote?? You should try it as the moon rises over the desert mountains. Man just listen to those colors :shock:
Credo quia absurdum
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

Get yourself a mirr-o-lure, mullet colored sinking twitch bait. Remove the center hook and go for it. The key is not to put the fish to sleep by being afraid of working it to hard thinking your gonna scare them. Work the poop out of it with erratic twitches and slight pauses. They'll hit the twitch more often than the pause. If there's fish in the water you'll catch something. If not move to another area. If you produce a strike, drop anchor and work the area.

Consider the depth of the water your working. If your in 4' allow the bait to sink down to 3' then start working it. If in real shallow water hold the rod tip up to keep it out of the grass.

I believe there's always fish in the water. They may not be stacked up but they're in there, somewhere. You have to find them. And sometimes its difficult. Keep an eye out for birds, feeding porpoise. Work the edges and under schools of bait. Under is usually better if the water is deep enough. Work the edges of deep holes and channels. Work the big grass patch in the middle of a sandy bottom.

That mirrolure will work if you don't put them to sleep. Work it hard and fast, it irritates the heck out of them.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com